GR-8900A-1DR Good buy?

Thread: GR-8900A-1DR Good buy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GR-8900A-1DR Good buy?

Hi All,

Looking to buy my second G-Shock, and kind of hooked to the GR-8900A-1DR in stealth black. However, I didn't see too many reviews here and it's not as popular a model on WUS forums as say, a Mudman or a 7900. Is the 8900 a good buy, considering the fact that it's priced at around $150, which is higher than the G9000 Mudman ($100)?

The G7900 is priced around $100 as well, but I disliked the thickness/height of the case. The GR-8900A seems to have a slimmer case (or atleast it seems so while on the wrist). What is the take on this? And any detailed reviews here please? I tried a general search but ended up with only a few short discussions, nothing substantial.

Name:  gr8900a-1-1.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  58.2 KB

Thanks & Regards
    Bizzy
    Last edited by kmbijit; July 15th, 2015 at 15:11.

Re: GR-8900A-1DR Good buy?

Sjors has a review of the white one on his blog: 50 Gs

And if that's somehow not enough, I've got one if you want to know more.

due to its metal eye, it is the ugliest 8900 - of all the 8900 out there, you have to pick this ? how about a GWX-8900 or GLS-8900 ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have both the all-black, and the non-reverse with the silver bezel versions of this watch. I like them both a lot. The buttons are the easiest to push of any of my G's, so they are my first choice when doing things that require multiple countdown time resetting (like laundry night!)

I impulse bought the all-black reverse version at Zumies, but I found the other version super cheap on Amazon. If you hunt around you might be able to find a deal on the black one, too.

Quote Originally Posted by LankyOrangutan View Post
    Sjors has a review of the white one on his blog: 50 Gs
    And if that's somehow not enough, I've got one if you want to know more.
    Did go through that link, however Sjors has only specified general impressions. I'd like to know more since the GR-8900 is not available in stores, I can only order it online.
    So, few general things like,
    How's the readability of the negative display in less than ideal conditions? (I own a negative display Timex T49983 and the readability is actually pretty great)
    Is the beep volume loud enough? (solar models are notorious for low volumes)
    How's the impact resistance? Will it be able to stand up to the same level of impact resistance as a 7900 or a Mudman? Or is the 8900 just a 'Cosmetic G'?

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    due to its metal eye, it is the ugliest 8900 - of all the 8900 out there, you have to pick this ? how about a GWX-8900 or GLS-8900 ?
    On the contrary, the very same metal eye caught my attention in the first place!!! However, the GLS-8900 does look good and is significantly cheaper at $80 too! I might just give it a second look as well!

Quote Originally Posted by fresh eddie fresh View Post
    If you hunt around you might be able to find a deal on the black one, too.
    I am already hooked! I thought digitals were passe! How wrong I was!

Quote Originally Posted by bbsrailfan View Post
    Did go through that link, however Sjors has only specified general impressions. I'd like to know more since the GR-8900 is not available in stores, I can only order it online.
    So, few general things like,
    How's the readability of the negative display in less than ideal conditions? (I own a negative display Timex T49983 and the readability is actually pretty great)
    Is the beep volume loud enough? (solar models are notorious for low volumes)
    How's the impact resistance? Will it be able to stand up to the same level of impact resistance as a 7900 or a Mudman? Or is the 8900 just a 'Cosmetic G'?
    Negative display is terrible in low light, IMO. Actually it's the middle of the day as I'm typing this, and it's still hard to see unless you get the angle just right.
    The beep volume is about the same as any other solar G-Shock, adequate enough for me but some people think it's too quiet for what they need.
    There's really no such thing as a 'Cosmetic' G, they'll all realistically take the same beatings that you'll give them.

I'd look at the GLS-8900 like you also mentioned above, at close to half the price I doubt it'd disappoint. I wouldn't really justify the $150 price tag of the solar one when you say it's that much more expensive than a 7900 where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by LankyOrangutan View Post
    Negative display is terrible in low light, IMO. Actually it's the middle of the day as I'm typing this, and it's still hard to see unless you get the angle just right.
    The beep volume is about the same as any other solar G-Shock, adequate enough for me but some people think it's too quiet for what they need.
    There's really no such thing as a 'Cosmetic' G, they'll all realistically take the same beatings that you'll give them.

I'd look at the GLS-8900 like you also mentioned above, at close to half the price I doubt it'd disappoint. I wouldn't really justify the $150 price tag of the solar one when you say it's that much more expensive than a 7900 where you are.
    Thanks for your inputs, that helped!
    However, I guess I am at the stage where the heart has already taken over the mind, so it's going to be the GR8900 for sure! The looks just strike the right chord!
    In any case I got these as my daily carriers!!!
    Name:  DSCN6916.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  53.1 KBName:  DSCN6857.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  86.4 KB

The negative display isn't particularly bad on this model (the worst is the red background 6900's I have) and it lights up blue. I used to use the black one as my alarm clock when it wasn't getting much wrist time, but fell back in love with it a little while ago and put my five-eye Mudman on alarm clock duty. The beep was fine for me, but I'm not sure how deeply you sleep.

...aaaaand here goes!
    Can someone take a look at the pics and confirm that it's a legit piece?

Name:  IMG_2872.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  100.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2870.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  78.6 KB

She looks a goodun to me mate.

I took a punt on a GR-8900A-1ER on eBay today, it is in reasonable used condition and cost me £30. I put the minimum bid on speculatively and forgot about it, and won! I'll let you know my thoughts on it once it arrives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information