GR8900 new battery but no charge
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: GR8900 new battery but no charge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GR8900 new battery but no charge

Hi all,

I got a used GR8900 last week, not working but for very little money. I put a new CTL1616 battery in and did the AC Reset although it took 7 attempts to do it.
    I have been charging the watch in the conservatory and outside since Saturday morning but the CHG letters are still flashing and I am still unable to even change the time. There is no sign of L/M/H next to the battery symbol so I have a feeling the charging circuit is goosed!
    Should I leave it charging for longer just in case?

I am happy to put a CR1616 in it to get it usable if that's the case, only if others think it's had it 'Solar Powered' day that is.

Nick

Re: GR8900 new battery but no charge

Have you checked that the solar panel is supplying power to the charge circuit?

Magura

Quote Originally Posted by Magura View Post
    Have you checked that the solar panel is supplying power to the charge circuit?

Magura
    I assume it must be as when the watch arrived it was completely dead, I put it on and went outside and after only a few minutes the screen fired up. If not how would I test it?

Nick

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can test it by using the test mode - press Adj+Mode+upper right button - this should bring up "SLR" on the display - when you now cover the display with your hand for a few seconds (sometimes takes a few tries) it should read "8888" - if it doesn't there might be some problem with the solar panel or the connection between solar panel and module - AFAIK there's some golden springs that connect the module with the solar panels - if you lost those while changing the battery then it won't charge - however you'd have to remove the module from the case in order to lose them.
    edit: the button combination might also be Adj+both buttons on the right side - I just tested a few of mine and it differs between different models.

cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; July 8th, 2014 at 23:30.
    Cheers
    Sedi

No buttons do anything at all, looks like it's a ringer :(

Oh, forgot that the test mode will not work when the charge is too low. Hm, I'd give it a few more days in the sun. The strength of the light makes all the difference.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Maybe the battery was bad - it's weird IMO that the battery is not at least half full when buying it - so I think the watch should be at least showing "M". If the battery was in deep discharge than it's not possible to charge it properly.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

That could very well be. Storing Li-Ion cells is not so simple.
    You could charge the battery with a charger. A good charger can sometimes bring batteries back from the dead.

It sounds much like the solar panel works, but if you want to make sure, pop the watch open, bring out the multimeter, and measure the leads of the panel.

My first shot would be charging the battery with an external charger, and see where that takes you though.

Magura :)

Ah ok, i'll leave it in the sun until Saturday then if no change i'll try an external charge. Thanks folks.

Nick

As a matter of interest, I have tonight removed the battery, left it for 10 mins and done an AC reset and it worked for 10 mins. Also for this watch the AC reset is done by not touching the battery but the negative metal casing around the battery. (Nope got that wrong, it IS the battery I touched, my brain was playing tricks on me)
    Watch is now working yay!!
    Last edited by Billdog13; July 9th, 2014 at 22:44. Reason: correction
    Mike K, domoon, godizded and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information