The GR8900: What's the USP?

Thread: The GR8900: What's the USP?

The GR8900: What's the USP?

Ok so I'm idly plotting my next purchase since we are passing through duty free albeit in Tenerife on Sunday, and I think I saw a chink in the buying ban appear (I know she will be wanting perfumes etc from said shop).

£80 is about the budget and I'm happy with GA100 (analogue digital cockpit styled face), G9000 (mudman, rally timer) and the GW6900 (solar atomic). Not all are likely to be at the airport so perhaps a mall trip on my return will be an option.

Where I know I can get a lovely all- black GR8900 within budget over the counter.

Since I don't have a reverse digital and my last arrival was analogue / digital I'm feeling like either the G9000 in olive green or the 8900 will be my actual choices.

So what does the 8900 offer? On paper it looks a fairly standard module with no unique selling point? I'm not calling solar as a selling point when there are cheaper watches offering some added functions (7900 with the tide/moon, 7710 with multiple stop watches and day count).

Can some owners big up this very handsome but possibly shallow watch?

Sent through Tapatalk on HTCs Desire.
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

Re: The GR8900: What's the USP?

What it came down to me was the larger size, comfort level and overall appeal. It is a might handsome watch. Has your basic functions of a GW6900 minus the atomic. I love mine!

That's a really good question Andrew. I've been wondering the same question as I've been admiring it now for a while! It does seem light on features, it has the usual 5 x alarms etc. but nothing out of the ordinary. It does look gorgeous though, but if I was to own one, I'd definitely want an 'atomic' version. However, I can't understand why the multi-band version takes a price hike of over 100%, they seem to go for around the £200 mark!!

If you do go for it, you'll have a beautiful time piece, enjoy the rest of your holiday...
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Via another current thread, I have just stumbled across another variant of the 8900.

Name:  gwx8900b-7_large.jpg
Views: 1124
Size:  52.9 KB

Now, I would obviously change the white bezel to black, but it has the 'tide' display neatly on the upper right of the display, and it's multi band + solar, and not outrageously priced.

GWX8900B-7 - Classic - Mens, Womens, Ladies, Digital, Analog, Watches | CASIO America, Inc.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Here's a compare for you side by side personally loving the simplicity and size of the 8900 and it has taken the place of my 9000 as my daily wearer but the white shiny resin has taken a battering in work over the last 3 weeks or so since i got it so may have to order some new resin when i can and put it aside for when this gets too bad.

Name:  IMAG0127.jpg
Views: 4037
Size:  802.0 KB
    50+ G's
    OTHERS - TIMEX, SEIKO, PRO-TREK, NAUTICALIA, CASIO DIVER.

I presume the G-Lide version will be smaller? But nice to see some more features.

Guess its just big and handsome but a bit simple. Like the guy at school who was always team captain haha

Sent from my mini Galaxy so soz for typos :-\
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew&7 View Post
    I presume the G-Lide version will be smaller? But nice to see some more features.
    The G-Lide-version is exactly the same - in case you meant the GWX-8900.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

Agreed. Handsome watch. Also the g8900 in orange is lovely to me as well. Arguably the best looking white watch/stormtrooper is the gr8900 and now solar atomic as well.
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Thread Information