The Gravity Defier arrives!
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The Gravity Defier arrives!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Gravity Defier arrives!

I fell in love with this watch the moment I decided to get the first Gshock for me. But, it didnt end there. The watch was hard to find, probably because now its been discontinued, made it even tough to find one. Casio are really misleading people by still keeping this on the official site! The option was the G1250D1A, but had to sideline it because it really did not look exclusive. The BD however, stood out emphatically!

Finally, after a lot of deal hunting, saw a good deal on Amazon and grabbed it. The prices in India were way too exorbitant to lay my hands on this beauty. Was super excited when it got delivered and finally, it reached Mumbai. Was never so happy. Opened it peacefully and there she was wrapped in plastic, straps sealed with all tags intact.

What I loved about this series, was the dual time bit, with date, day and twin world time displays. The amber colored dials look terrific and really amazing to watch. The dial itself is big, chunky in looks and at the same time, light! The steel straps add another finesse to an already awesome watch. Clearly, the best Gravity Defier Casio made.

Some photos:

After adjusting the time and going through the manual twice, noticed a problem. The hour & minute hands didnt seem to move at all when I calibrated the digital time. The rest of the features worked fine but not for these! I smelt a rat. And of course theres no dial to adjust the hands, opened the manual again to find the H-SET function which resets all dials small and big to the 12 o'clock position. First step, the smaller dials cleared the test and hit the mark neatly. Second, the digital display moved to 0:00 but the hands did not move. Tried it many times, but failed! Clearly some problem. The manual reads the hands can malfunction if subject to strong magnetic exposure or impact.

Second issue I started facing was on exiting the HSET feature, the digital display gets hung up and all functions are literally inaccessible for at least 2-3 mins! Surely, this seems to be a defective piece or some internal issue.

Immediately mailed the seller and he agreed to replace it for free but the watch is now with me in India and got it from the USA! Since its under warranty, I can get it checked at the authorised Casio Service Centre for free, which I will do this week. But, am disappointed on how a GShock could go defective, especially a high end one! Definitely not a good start owning one :(

Any inputs from you folks? Will be highly appreciated :)
    Sjors, gripmaster and Chrisek like this.

Re: The Gravity Defier arrives!

That's indeed strange. First thing I would suggest you i to perform a HSET check, but since you've done that, I'm a bit puzzled too.

By the way, here's an easier to read manual for you:

http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_manual/wat/en/qw5184.pdf

Cheers,

Sjors
    Last edited by Sjors; December 16th, 2012 at 11:38.
    StephenWatch likes this.
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

lvt

Sorry to hear about the hand setting problem, hope Casio India will fix it for you.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Strange that another new member just posted a similar issue in having trouble setting this model of watch, though he hasn't posted any further details...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/can...ml#post5750249
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors View Post
    That's indeed strange. First thing I would suggest you i to perform a HSET check, but since you've done that, I'm a bit puzzled too.

By the way, here's an easier to read manual for you:

http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_manual/wat/en/qw5184.pdf

Cheers,

Sjors
    Thanks buddy, but its the same one. They should rather give a booklet with the pdf link instead of the tiny alphabet ridden manual!

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    Strange that another new member just posted a similar issue in having trouble setting this model of watch, though he hasn't posted any further details...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/can...ml#post5750249
    Hi Stephen! Mine is the non atomic version since that one doesnt help here. I'll post a few pictures of the HSET function for you guys. Nothings worked up so far and have decided to go for the service centre. Else, replacement.

However, I wish to know, on the left hand dial, the battery meter indicates: C,L,M and H. Whats the last one? Is it PS or SD? It never points there strangely and nothings mentioned in the manual of it.

Heres the HSET function pictures.

At first go, the smaller dials fall in place.

Now as it moves to adjust the bigger dials, they remain the same. In fact they have been at the same position since I opened them!

lvt

It's a shame, the watch looks so great with the red hands.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

coolmel,

Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't spot a Tourist Warranty Card in there. That's what is needed to give you warranty from Casio India for an international purchase i.e. just the dated invoice is not sufficient. I learned this first-hand, the hard way.

If you read Amazon's Casio warranty, it clearly says it's valid only in the country of purchase.
    I'm not sure whether that can be taken to include an overseas purchase like yours.
    http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/watches/warranty/Casio-Warrantiy.pdf

Still, you should call Casio India HQ in Okhla, New Delhi and confirm before assuming it can be repaired free of cost.

Quote Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
    However, I wish to know, on the left hand dial, the battery meter indicates: C,L,M and H. Whats the last one? Is it PS or SD? It never points there strangely and nothings mentioned in the manual of it.
    It is PS -- Power Save. Should point to it when the watch is sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by nagpal View Post
    It is PS -- Power Save. Should point to it when the watch is sleeping.
    Thanks for the heads up ;)

Quote Originally Posted by nagpal View Post
    coolmel,

Hate to burst your bubble, but I don't spot a Tourist Warranty Card in there. That's what is needed to give you warranty from Casio India for an international purchase i.e. just the dated invoice is not sufficient. I learned this first-hand, the hard way.

If you read Amazon's Casio warranty, it clearly says it's valid only in the country of purchase.
    I'm not sure whether that can be taken to include an overseas purchase like yours.
    http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/watches/warranty/Casio-Warrantiy.pdf

Still, you should call Casio India HQ in Okhla, New Delhi and confirm before assuming it can be repaired free of cost.
    No problem, I want to get it fixed thats all! Just hate the fact that I got a defective Gshock!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information