GREAT mod/tip to protect your G
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: GREAT mod/tip to protect your G

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GREAT mod/tip to protect your G

I want to start off by thanking Lexvil for this tip. I can't take credit for it as I read about it in a thread that was a couple of years old. But, I thought it was worth reviving for all the new members here.

Basically what I've done is create an invisishield for my Gs. Very simple, and better yet, VERY CHEAP!! I bought some clear vinyl covering at WalMart. It looks like it's main purpose is for covering furniture. They have different "gages," so I got the thickest they had. It's on big rollers by the crafts section and is sold by the yard. I bought half a yard for a whopping $.49! This is going to be enough to protect about 100 Gs.

Step 1.) trace out a piece that will cover the face of your G. I used a sharpie, a pen would work fine.
    Name:  IMG_20110715_152240.jpg
Views: 2187
Size:  50.5 KB

STep 2.) cut out said piece and place over face of your G
    Name:  IMG_20110715_152705.jpg
Views: 2169
Size:  67.0 KB

Step 3.) While it's on the face, re-trace the outer face of the watch to get a more "exact" fit and trim again. It doesn't have to be perfect, but what I found is you don't want edges overhanging off the watch face. It needs to just sit on the top with no excess hanging off. Don't worry about making it EXACT to the glass, as the bezel will cover up the rough edges. In fact, leave room for error.
    Name:  IMG_20110715_153152.jpg
Views: 2157
Size:  49.5 KB

Step 4 and 5.) Clean the vinyl very good with soap and warm water. Get off any dust, streaks, finger prints ect. Go ahead and clean your G, too. While STILL WET, place the vinyl on the G and press it on with a towell. No need for adhesive, it will stick and not leave any air bubbles. Make sure it's lined up without any edges hanging over and place your bezel on. Simple as that!
    Name:  IMG_20110715_153544.jpg
Views: 2136
Size:  54.1 KB

The beauty of it all...you now have a scratch resistant G. If you don't like it, or it didn't turn out perfect, just take it off...remember, you didn't use any adhesive, so no nasty residue to clean off the glass!! Also, at $.49/half yard, you can afford to screw up many, many times!!!

WARNING>>>>> it's a little difficule to keep the vinyl in place when working with a bezel that's a tight fit, or if you have to get it over big buttons. My first attempt was with a GD100. At the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions, the bezel comes right to the edge of the glass. Because I had to stretch it over those bulky buttons, it pulled the vinyl over the edge of the case just a hair, but enough to create a small air bubble in those spots. I'd have to point it out for anyone to notice, but I can see it and that's what matters to the perfectionists out there. For what it's worth, the King is VERY EASY to work with.

Another Plus to this mod...it HIDES SCRATCHES that are already on the glass!!! I have a good size nick right in the middle of my GD100, making me not want to wear it very much anymore. Now, with the screen protector on there, you can only see it at certain angles when the light hits it right. But not when I look straight down at it to check the time. Before, that was ALL I couls see!!
    Name:  IMG_20110715_162243.jpg
Views: 2160
Size:  42.9 KB

Is this right for ALL your watches? Maybe not. But those daily wearers or Grails that you want to wear AND protect...probably. A warning that needs not be said, but I will anyway, be very careful when working with a Vintage. Your bezel may seem to be in good shape, but if it's brittle and so much as hairline cracks when taking it off...STOP!!! Otherwise it will end up crumbling in your hand!

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I hope this helps some of you guys out. Thanks again to Lex!!!
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Thanks for the tip and the detailed guide.

Re: GREAT mod/tip to protect your G

Nice, I remember the original thread. Thanks for reviving and the lead on where to find it for so cheap.

However, I get a feeling this mod won't work to well with the GW-200s Frogman. A model I really would like to do this mod on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for sharing! Now I just need to remind my Gs not to get banged up!

Quote Originally Posted by G_Me View Post
    Nice, I remember the original thread. Thanks for reviving and the lead on where to find it for so cheap.

However, I get a feeling this mod won't work to well with the GW-200s Frogman. A model I really would like to do this mod on.
    Actually, this mod wil work great on a 200 series Frog. It's the 82xx Frogs and the 99xx frogs that it wouldn't work on. Basically any bezel that covers the entire outer edge of the case, you're good. Same for 1000 and 6300 series. I really want to do this to my 6300, but I'm afraid to take the bezel off.
    Hook 'Em!!

"One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else." ---- A. Wiseman

Quote Originally Posted by Tsip85 View Post
    I really want to do this to my 6300, but I'm afraid to take the bezel off.
    Me too!!! The bezel may look fine, but who knows, it may crumble when trying to take off. And you're totally right, 8200 and 9900 won't work.

Won't the openings on the 200 series bezel be a problem? The openings that show the ring

Last edited by G_Me; July 16th, 2011 at 03:03.

Hmmm...didn't realize the 200s had those openings (I don't have one ), but you could sitll make this work. You just need to be a little more detailed when you trim the vinyl. You can still cut it just a tad more than the glass itself and it will fit under the bezel. Looks like you have at least an 1/8 of an inch to work with there before the openings.
    Hook 'Em!!

Here's the original thread from Lex. He demonstrates this on a 200 series Frog...

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/qui...es-309270.html
    Hook 'Em!!

G Shock crystals are so recessed, is scratching a real problem, or is this a case of a WIS G-Shock owner inventing a solution to a non-issue?
    I own a few G Shocks. Many vintage and many years old. I had an AW500 for 20 years (bought new) before the case crumbled. The crystal was flawless.
    Am I missing something?
    "My grail showed up today"

You just never know. I have a DW002 and the crystal is very recessed in that model, yet over a 10 yr period of time of daily use and abuse I put more than a couple scratches in it. The 5600s aren't very recessed at all. I also have a GD100 that I was very careful with, and it's fairly protected by the bezel. Yet, somehow I managed to bump into the corner of a brick wall and caught the crystal right in the middle. Left a nice little gouge. Look at it this way...no matter how good of a driver you are, it never hurts to have insurance...the idiot that hits you might not!
    Hook 'Em!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information