• PRW-1500

1 3.23%
  • SPF-100S-1V

0 0%
  • GA-100

2 6.45%

Thread: Greetings all + a lot of TOUGH questions

Greetings all + a lot of TOUGH questions

First of all, hello all the G experts! I'm loving this forum. Got few questions and hopefully I can get some advice from all of you.

Situation: I've been planning to get myself a new watch to withstand all abuses and found myself reading a lot of threads about different models lately. I'm finding a watch which can "do-it-all", & what I mean do it all is withstand salt water scuba diving, frequent shocks and torture, mud & sand and reading barometers & so on with be a plus. I know that sounds basically all the men (plural?) combined or a protrek. Since my favor skew towards g shocks, and also my perception that protreks are a tiny bit more fragile than most Gs, so far most watches that caught my eye are Gs.

Anyways, bottom line: 1) I need my watch to be hardcore water resistance, very shock proof, be able to withstand what nature got to offer. 2) should have all g shock basics such as WT, 5 alarms, STW, CDT, etc 3) Altimeter, tidal graph, etc and STW 2 would be nice of course but I can learn to live without them. 4) solar & atomic are cool, but unnecessary in my opinion.

Choices, choices, choices...
    PRG-1500 - combine most functions, but I question its water resistability if I do take it deep water diving
    SPF100S-1V - VERY good in water functions (I like), but lack other features , also calendar only up to year 2039 and pricy comparing to the other watches I'm looking at
    GW-9200 - got some cool features, however, I am not happy why didn't casio include the compass in the risemans and the measuring units are not super precise
    GW-7900B/GW-7900-1ER - the 7900b first caught my attention, however, I read a lot of imperfections of the negative displays and also just found the difference in functions between the G & GW models.
    G-7900 - like the price, like the functions at this price point
    Mudmen - cheap, got most of the basics, hard to press buttons, makes me would why not get a G-7900 than a muddy?
    G-9100 - again, is the titanium worth giving up all the additional features a cheap G-7900 may offer?
    GA-100 - yes, it did caught my eye before and I do like 1/1000 sec STWs but personally I do prefer the rest's looks more

Would like to know what inputs all of you may give me? which one you prefer & why?

P.S. I've read cal.45 describing the difference between G-7900 & GW-7900, what do you guys prefer? is the atomic & solar worth giving up a second STW & all other great stuff a cheaper, original G-7900 may offer?

Thank you in advance & sorry for all the questions:thanks

Re: Greetings all + a lot of TOUGH questions

Any of the first five could be tough 'do it all' (or most if it) watches. Look at them all for a few weeks and then buy the one that is 'demanding' to be bought the most. Ultimately, deciding between broadly similar G-Shocks is a personal choice.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Quote Originally Posted by PassinBy View Post
    GW-9200 - got some cool features, however, I am not happy why didn't casio include the compass...
    A G-Shock watch is subjected to electromagnetic testing, besides other 'torture' tests. A compass would go berserk under e/m testing. So do not expect any G-Shock to have a compass. A strap clip-on compass is the solution, as can be seen in several pictures on this forum.
    Last edited by Kaiser T; August 12th, 2010 at 06:27.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser T View Post
    A G-Shock watch is subjected to electromagnetic testing, besides other 'torture' tests. A compass would go berserk under e/m testing. So do not expect any G-Shock to have a compass. A strap clip-on compass is the solution, as can be seen in several pictures on this forum.
    So is the DW-9800 Wademan not really a G-shock? Or did Casio change testing criteria?

I thought not every G was put to same electrical resistance testing.

duplicate post, mod please delete

Quote Originally Posted by over2land View Post
    So is the DW-9800 Wademan not really a G-shock? Or did Casio change testing criteria?

I thought not every G was put to same electrical resistance testing.
    over2land: I just overlooked the out of production G-Shock Wademan. However, I wonder how its compass would have survived the electrostatic testing? The G-Shock ads/videos clearly show these tests, so I presume they apply to all current G-Shock models.
    Last edited by Kaiser T; August 12th, 2010 at 11:59.

The latest video I saw that was posted here said the tests were only performed on the models shown and not all G-shocks can withstand all tests. Or something to that effect.

I don't see how the Wademan would survive either that's why I just figured it wasn't tested like that.

That's why I asked the question... maybe they do test them all that way now, and didn't back then. Maybe that is why we've not seen another G with a compass. I just don't know and thought I'd ask.

most of us really think that the mudman is very tough, that is not true at all, I have opened both mudman and gulfman and the case walls of the mudman are much thinner than the gulfman, so the gulfman has to be tougher!

Thank you for all the inputs

any more suggestions?

The best for salt water use will surely be a Frogman? That's always been Casio's suggestion for "hardcore water" use. And the new one is solar atomic.
    The Search function on vBulletin forums isn't very smart. If you want to search for a complete string in the G-Shock forum, or for posts which include multiple words, use Google, and enter site:forums.watchuseek.com/f17 into the search box. Then use normal google syntax after that to enter your search.

Thread Information