Greetings & Polygon G questions

Thread: Greetings & Polygon G questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Greetings & Polygon G questions

Hi everyone - this is my first post here. Just about a week ago I got a G for the first time. Judging by some old posts I saw, it's not a favorite here, due to its size. :)

It's a GW-056J-1JF, and I'm very happy with it. I plan to write a brief review of it fairly soon, and maybe take some good pictures (I included a few quick dirty ones here)

But I'm wondering - is Casio going to keep making this style? It seems like they might be interested in making it one of the "standard" G shapes, since they just introduced two more of them (a fire package and a fifa) a few weeks ago in Japan. Will they likely ever be available outside of Japan? Are any of these questions that anyone knows the answer to? :)

I'm partially interested because I think this is a really neat design - it attracted me to a G-shock, which most of the huge chunky roundish G-shocks of recent years haven't done at all, although I really love the look of some of the ana-digis - big watches, as good as they may look, are very uncomfortable for me.

I'm also, of course, partially interested because I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to get a replacement strap if I wear this one out. It seems durable, but check out those lugs! Can't exactly toss it on a fast-wrap if this strap disintegrates. :)

Thanks for any help you might have, email me if you want to see better pics and it will make me take them sooner. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Greetings & Polygon G questions

I was interested in same model. Where did you get it? Seiya had it but he stopped selling G-s. Higuchi does not sell this model.

Alson, this is important to me, so if you could please answer:

can you tell time in stopwatch/countdown timer mode?

Buttons are kinda hidden underneeth the case, do you find tham hard to operate?

How about visibility of time? good in all conditions or soso in some light conditions?

Thanks for all the answers.

I looked back at your pic and spotted the answer to one of my q-s. No time in stopwatch mode, possibly no time in countdown timer either. This is big for me as I need to know both. My GW-500 does it, can still tell time in stopwatch mode (no count down timer on GW-500... bummer, but stopwatch serves the purpose well)

Quite happy with my purchase I must say. Looking to acquire old fashioned square G but again, as wierd as it sounds, telling time in stopwatch mode is a bigge for me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wink Re: Greetings & Polygon G questions

Hi Pinespree,

Thanks foir your pre-review. Well, I think Casio will produce this model for a longer time, since it bears the 5600/056 name in the model number. Well, I'm not sure. It looks very flat and the display is a kind of futuristic cool. A pity the waveceptor function doesn't work in Europe.

Cheers,

Sjors

There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

As you noted, there is no time in stopwatch mode. None in countdown mode, either. I would have liked these features, but I gain more in the tradeoff from having a thinner watch. We all have features that are really important to us - not that anyone would ever make one, but I would never buy a digital watch without the hourly chime. I love those little beeps so much. :)

I don't find the buttons hard to operate, but I did for the first two days. I was using my fingernails to get in there and press them. Now I've gotten used to them and they're pretty easy. It does take some pressure, but I would expect it to with all the seals and protection and stuff. Plus, they're big, so they provide a nice surface to press.

Visibility is excellent, and that was key for me. If it hadn't been, I probably would have sold this as soon as I bought it. There's no light condition where it isn't either easy to read as-is or with the EL.

One weird thing that I've been getting used to, which may be true of all Gs, is that the optimal contrast on the LCD is achieved at a different angle than being directly above the watch. Contrast is best if I don't turn my wrist quite all the way toward my face. See what I'm saying? This also took some getting used to, but I find it to be a nice thing now, since turning my wrist all the way was an unnatural habit that I had learned from other watches.

I have heard that the equivalent inverted LCD model is not as easy to read in all lights, and I'm glad I have this one. I heard that from the guy I bought it from, who bought it from Seiya in december. However, when I bought it from him Seiya was still selling Gs, so I would have been able to get it from him.

All in all, this is a really nice watch. Ask me again in a year or two, since I'm going to be wearing it every day indefinitely. :)
    Last edited by pinespree; February 12th, 2006 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors

Thanks foir your pre-review. Well, I think Casio will produce this model for a longer time, since it bears the 5600/056 name in the model number. Well, I'm not sure. It looks very flat and the display is a kind of futuristic cool. A pity the waveceptor function doesn't work in Europe.
    It is very flat, and very liveable for a guy like me who can't stand to have an obtrusive watch. The multi-segment LCD is both cool and a little more readable than 7-segment (not a big difference, but at least it's not less readable :)).

If they do keeping making them, I'm sure eventually they'll have to make export models. Personally, I think it's kind of bizarre that they program domestic models to receive from Fort Collins, but maybe it's a very easy thing since the frequency is the same as one of the Japan transmitters. If the encoding is the same too, it might be a no-brainer.

pine

Quote Originally Posted by duke4c
    I looked back at your pic and spotted the answer to one of my q-s. No time in stopwatch mode, possibly no time in countdown timer either. This is big for me as I need to know both. My GW-500 does it, can still tell time in stopwatch mode (no count down timer on GW-500... bummer, but stopwatch serves the purpose well)

Quite happy with my purchase I must say. Looking to acquire old fashioned square G but again, as wierd as it sounds, telling time in stopwatch mode is a bigge for me.
    Incidentally, more quirks.

I wouldn't be able to have a watch without a countdown timer. We all have our different priorities.
    Last edited by Sjors; February 12th, 2006 at 14:29.

Hi Pine,

I rather expect that Casio thinks their customers travel to the US a lot, since the coding is different (although the frequency is the same). I believe there will be 5 band receivers G-Shock's in the future. In March the first 5 band Pro-Treks will be released and Casio has already 5 band Waveceptor models. It would be a good thing if Casio made G-Shock's with that feature, because models can be sold world wide...

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjors

I rather expect that Casio thinks their customers travel to the US a lot, since the coding is different (although the frequency is the same). I believe there will be 5 band receivers G-Shock's in the future. In March the first 5 band Pro-Treks will be released and Casio has already 5 band Waveceptor models. It would be a good thing if Casio made G-Shock's with that feature, because models can be sold world wide...
    Sjors,

I think you're right. Once you've already made a watch a waveceptor, it probably doesn't take much extra memory in the module to remember how to receive the other signals. It would seem logical to just throw them all in there. :)

However, Casio seems to have a unique habit of leaving out features on watches - probably for the sake of simplicity. I'm amazed at how many mid-range and higher Casio digitals don't have countdown timers. It's not like this saves any real cost, so my guess is that they do it to have one less option in the menu and make things simpler. I don't think Timex would ever do something like that - they cram every feature they can possibly imagine in.

pine

Wink Re: Greetings & Polygon G questions

Quote Originally Posted by pinespree
    I'm amazed at how many mid-range and higher Casio digitals don't have countdown timers. It's not like this saves any real cost, so my guess is that they do it to have one less option in the menu and make things simpler

Hi Pine,

You can imagine my reaction when I got the first Waveceptor G-Shock and found out it had a timestamp in stead of a countdown timer....

Cheers,

Sjors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information