Gs in 2013: The f17 boardmeeting annual review!
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Gs in 2013: The f17 boardmeeting annual review!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pen Gs in 2013: The f17 boardmeeting annual review!

A bit of a coincidence, I just read Starscream’s thread about G-street’s top 10 Gs of 2013, which looks (as per usual, I’m afraid to say) like marketing fluff to me :) But I was going to start a topic about ‘Gs in 2013’ a couple of days ago but got sidetracked with daddy-duties so I didn’t get round to posting…

ANYWAY…It's coming to the end of the year 2013, the 30th anniversary milestone for G-Shock...It was a big year for Gs, or at least it should have been! But what did *You* think of it?

I thought we could do a quick 'annual digest' sort of thing (just like those end of year TV shows do, charting various events in the year) -taking a quick look back at what's happened or been significant this year and share thoughts on the year:

- your favourite/top/significant releases?
    - new models?
    - new tech?
    - anniversary models, collabs...
    - other significant happening in the world of G-Shock/ things that were outstanding for you...

likewise, I'd also be interested to hear about thoughts on...

- worse release?
    - most epic fail?
    - anything else you think went wrong or was a step backwards...

I'll kick it off with some of my thoughts;

I often find my memory span is rather short when it comes to Gs, a good portion of my attention gets focused on my most recent acquisition! meaning that the things that happened at the beginning of the year will probably get forgotten about. Having said that, the most significant release for me this year is still a newer model, which also happens to be one of my most recent acquisitions :)

Yep, many of you were probably thinking the same thing...the RANGEMAN!

Name:  GW-9400J-1JF.png
Views: 706
Size:  156.1 KBName:  GW-9400BJ-1JF.png
Views: 680
Size:  131.4 KBName:  GW-9400J-3JF.png
Views: 697
Size:  145.7 KBName:  GW-9430EJ-9JR.png
Views: 689
Size:  128.3 KB

Seems like everyone's attention is still very much focused on this one at the moment, it's certainly the flavour of the month. For obvious reasons... the First ever triple sensor G, all new v3 sensors, the latest addition to the Master of G line, if there was to be one G to rule them all, this would probably be the closest to it!?

Anyway, the Ranger is significant for me because I am a big fan of the Masters line, the first G I ever bought was a Gulfman; for me they are a huge part of what attracted me to the brand, and I think they still represent the traditional values of G-Shock very strongly in their design and concept. So every time there's a new Master, I get excited... the last one, the 9300 Muddy, didn't disappoint! My Smokey Gray incarnation is still one of my all-time favourites.

To be honest, the first time I saw the Rangeman unveiling at Basel World, I thought it looked a bit strange. It looked like a spiritual successor of the Riseman and a 7900 with its 4 bezel screws. Well, like just about everyone else, I was following it with interest, but I'd told myself I'd probably hold off on it until the line matured a bit, with some more variations coming out. But...in my recent trip to HK, I tried it on and it was just one of those pieces that I couldn't resist. Like the first time I tried on a 1000 series Frog or a King, I just knew I had to get one!

I eventually snapped up the all black 9400BJ as it was reminiscent of the MIMB series which I like a lot (and I don't have any issues with negative LCDs!). Since then it hasn't stopped impressing me! The build quality, the overall look and feel of the watch, the LED light, the design and implementation of the functions and features...even the Haz-mat suit look of the watch is now appealing to me! The Ranger is also significant for me because it's the most advanced and most feature rich G to date. It's the G I'd grab first in a zombie apocalypse! if somebody asked me to recommend a G which could deliver the essence of everything G-Shock in one package, this has to be it!

OK, so the well documented Rangie is out of the way, but there are loads of other 'significant' Gs I can think of this year, which may have been forgotten about! I actually think it’s been a bumper year for newcomers…

How about the GW-A1100 Aviators (star of Basel World?), the GD-350s (possibly the best all-round module for a normal G ever?), the GA-1000 (aka frown face! But with cool lights and loads of features) and also the new MTG-S1000 (A tank on your wrist)

Name:  GW-A1100-1A3JF.png
Views: 696
Size:  165.1 KBName:  GA-1000-1AJF.png
Views: 695
Size:  141.9 KB

Name:  GD-350-8JF.png
Views: 678
Size:  145.4 KBName:  GD-350-1BJF.png
Views: 673
Size:  137.4 KB

Name:  MTG-S1000D-1AJF.png
Views: 695
Size:  177.3 KBName:  MTG-S1000BD-1AJF.png
Views: 685
Size:  136.5 KB

I didn't get any of the above mentioned this year, but I may well have if I hadn’t been distracted by the waves of anniversary models! so I was hoping somebody else, who was immune to the flashy anniversary waves, could give us some thoughts on them...

However one other new model I did get hold of was a GD-X6900. I have to say that it was a very pleasant surprise for me; initially, it was again one of those models that I didn't pay much attention to, probably because in the back of the mind you think 6900s are going to just be here forever, so there’s no rush…but after having it for a while I think it’s a pretty good all-rounder and worthy successor/improvement to the iconic DW-6900. I picked the GDX-6900FB-8 myself because I liked the positive style golden LCD with negative style light on it, although my other choice would have been an -8B the homage to the Ocean Gray scheme :)

Name:  GD-X6900FB-8JF.png
Views: 665
Size:  202.4 KBName:  GD-X6900FB-8BJF.png
Views: 666
Size:  185.3 KB

I still think the humble DW-6900 will be going on strong, it’s not going to get replaced as such, as I think its size is still a happy median for many people, including many ladies! As for me, I am very fond of the GDX’s larger metal buttons, which are easy to press and feel sturdy; the re-vamped module, whilst not the most advanced, is a nice all-rounder, including having 2 target/date alarms, 24hr auto start stopwatch and 24hr auto repeating CDT; Solar isn’t a concern with its ultra-reliable 10-year rated CR2032 battery and it works nicely with the super LED style light. All this whilst still retaining the battle hardened iconic 3 eye styling that has made the 6900 the staple of G shocks for many around the world – all things considered, I think it’s a step in a right direction, I look forward to many more GDX-6900s to come!

I’m hoping somebody else can share a bit about the Bluetooth models, I’ve yet to get one myself, but the main reason being is due to me not having a compatible phone…But I am especially intrigued by the ‘Smurf Blue’ GB-X6900B-2, which I find attractive enough as an excuse to get despite not having a compatible phone! That said, I think Casio has been trying to push the new BT Gs as their new innovations this year; I can only comment on the styling, but I think Gen 2 are an improvement already…

Name:  GB-X6900B-2JF.png
Views: 679
Size:  176.4 KB

I've been using an activity tracker (fitbit flex - a simple little wrist band) for a while now, and one of the things I like the most about it is the straight forward connection to the mobile app via BT that let's me track quite a lot of info (steps, calories, activity, sleep etc.) on the fly; I think this would be a great combination of features if they can put it on a Bluetooth G - it makes sense to me at least! So I hope you're listening, Casio!

Still so many things to talk about, but can't process it in one go so,

To be continued…
    Last edited by Sengyoku; December 21st, 2013 at 17:28.
    nnbz, cedric, Rocat and 16 others like this.

Re: Gs in 2013: The f17 boardmeeting annual review!

Great writeup, learned few new things I can't really comment on new stuff that came out, my head is stuck in vintage pieces in 80's and 90's.

I do think that GD-350 is the winner of this year, I will defenetly get one in 2014 Great looking model and it was really popular when it came out, forum was filled with photos

Looking forward to what Casio will bring to us now that 2014 isn't ''special'' anniversary year... maybe new models, not just special limited editions of already existing models?

Who knows

I actually tried a thread like this like a week ago: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/2013-952861.html

maybe it was 2 early or something.. but it failed pretty hard.. LOL was lucky to get 1 reply.

good write up though! i still have stuff on the way.. so will join in, when I'm done for the year!
    Last edited by starscream; December 21st, 2013 at 18:04.
    Sengyoku and gripmaster like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by starscream1017 View Post
    I actually tried a thread like this like a week ago: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/2013-952861.html

maybe it was 2 early or something.. but it failed pretty hard.. LOL was lucky to get 1 reply.

good write up though! i still have stuff on the way.. so will join in, when I'm done for the year!
    Ah! I totally missed it... Sorry! your thread looks even more detailed than this one :)

who knows...this thread my totally fail too hah, it's that time of the year! Maybe we can merge threads... Mods?
    Last edited by Sengyoku; December 21st, 2013 at 18:24.
    gripmaster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengyoku View Post
    Ah! I totally missed it... Sorry! your thread looks even more detailed than this one :)

who knows...this thread my totally fail too hah, it's that time of the year!
    hope it does better than mine! haha good luck! it's actually a very interesting idea for a thread. would have loved to see what everyone got the whole year. like a group shot. that way we can also see what was the most bought model, maybe come up with a top 10 list here, see which was the most purchased models for 2013..
    Sengyoku likes this.

This year was huge! I feel lucky to be in on it in only my 2nd year into G's! A couple other watches worth mentioning then I'll track back onto the ones Chin mentioned.

The GW-T5030c. You can go back into the WUS archives and see requests for this watch from a long time ago. Titanium cased square. Much controversy regarding limited release and pricing. I feel fortunate to have it and it is my favorite watch period.

I would be happy to see it in semi - regular production similar to GW-5000 (produce a batch and stop until demand comes up again) but feel it should be priced above the GW-5000. I would like more people to be able to enjoy this watch, it really is that nice. At the very least some more batches similar to . . . .

Ti 1000- series frogs. Very cool they didn't leave off with just the ruby.

And the Rising Red GWF-T1030A as well. These were also big deals.

MTG. I think this one might be reinventing the MTG line and now very curious to see where the MRG's go. Contemporary design. My only G where other watch people ask what it is. All are surprised.

The GD-350. A very well received watch. I almost feel like this one suffered this year from the onslaught of new models and waves this year! The only new model not to get in on a 30th wave for some reason.

I got it to see the new negative display and try the bigger battery (CR2032). It is the best negative display currently makes and I'm just bummed Casio didn't incorporate it into the Rangeman. I hope they use it on other updated G's. The big battery is a non - issue on wearability. Very happy about that. This watch simply needs a little attention and another wave of colors.

The Rangeman. What hasn't been said about it? Maybe the most significant overall release this year.

Another one I think deserves mention is the PRW-3000. It debuted the v3 sensor, and it's trim yet tough body shows a new design Avenue for Pro - Trek and how they can differentiate between the lines.

The GDX6900. Maybe the quietest release of all. Brings back the Casio rated 10 yr battery life. I really like this watch. Have 3 and have no regrets about it. Also looking at the blue GBX, but don't need the BT feature, just think it is a good looking watch with a feature I don't need. More common than you may think.

Also agree it may not replace the DW, though I hope it does make inroads and becomes a more permanent place in Casio than the king. I think it has already had more colors available than in the king's entire run!!! This one may turn out to be the highest volume of all the new releases this year as far as future useage goes. I like this watch.

And then there were the waves. . . . :cool:

It was a huge year! I hope everybody got a piece of it. Looking forward to other opinions.

I didn't even get to the new Aviator this year!

sent with aloha
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

Here are my awards:

BEST WATCH RELEASED IN 2013: GW-T5030 Also my favorite watch. Best G-shock ever!

MOST SIGNIFICANT ADVANCEMENT IN 2013: Rangeman! First ABC G-shock

BIGGEST FAIL OF 2013: Casio re-releasing previous limited models: the Mastermind Frogman (with very minor detail change) and the "Man Box" 110 among others. Bad move, Casio.

Ah, yes how could we all forget the GW-T5030! The superlative incarnation of the original G-Shock...

I thought about trying to get hold of one of these but I had to settle for it being out of my reach at the time :/ I thought about giving up all my other squares for this one... but in the end I was pretty distracted :D
    Haven't gotten round to talking about the Anniversary waves properly, but I thought the Resist Black or Wave 'C' was a pretty nice scheme and a thoughtful nod to the vintage fans and the heritage of G-Shock. The screwback team tough was very nice and I was very close to getting it and a GW-5530C, though I wish the 5500 series could have a screwback as well, it would feel very nice indeed! I think Casio chose wisely to put the Ti GW-T5030 in a similar themed style here and it's managed to make it look special without blinging the hell out of it or ruining the classic look of the square :)

Anyway, I said I almost got a DW-5030C, but the reason I didn't was because this was announced...

Name:  GSET-30-1JR_2.png
Views: 599
Size:  132.1 KB

Part of the G-SET30 DW-5000 re-issue, a bit of a first as far as re-issues go...2 team toughs in one package! But I loved the look of the carbon fibre type band on this one, and it had the slightly fancy shiny golden LCD a bit like on the T5030 and the RR 5610. I hadn't had any modern screwback square til I got this, but wow... the quality and finish on these are exquisite! If I had a T5030 I'd be tempted to put it on this CF band, I like it that much!

Name:  QQY_3984a.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  152.0 KB
    Last edited by Sengyoku; December 21st, 2013 at 20:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Sengyoku View Post
    Part of the G-SET30 DW-5000 re-issue, a bit of a first as far as re-issues go...2 team toughs in one package! But I loved the look of the carbon fibre type band on this one, and it had the slightly fancy shiny golden LCD a bit like on the T5030 and the RR 5610. I hadn't had any modern screwback square til I got this, but wow... the quality and finish on these are exquisite! If I had a T5030 I'd be tempted to put it on this CF band, I like it that much!
    Yes, the G-set was one of the better releases of the year. Of my set, I thought I would like the carbon fiber one the best and sell the other, but it turned out to be the other way around. Don't get me wrong, the CF one is VERY nice. But also very shiny and sparkly, which is not really my style. I tried putting the band and bezel on my T5030, and it didn't work out so well. The CF band has a larger buckle which means that you can't swap the rose gold buckle of the T5030 onto the CF band, and the gold buckle that is currently on the CF band clashed with the rose gold buttons of the T5030. It was my original hope when getting the GSet to do that mod, but it just didn't work out. I tried the ocean grey DW-5025D resin on the T5030 as well. It looked interesting, but something was off about it as well, even with the buckle swapped.

I now have the traditional looking DW-5030 from the Gset on a composite bracelet, which I love
    Sengyoku and Kronos like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    Here are my awards:

BIGGEST FAIL OF 2013: Casio re-releasing previous limited models: the Mastermind Frogman (with very minor detail change) and the "Man Box" 110 among others. Bad move, Casio.
    Almost missed that last bit about the biggest fail in 2013 due to that gigantic pic of the T5030!

Yes, agreed... The Re-release of the MM Frog has really put me off that particular Frog, I'd be totally outraged if I owned one of the first MMs. But, if the new one was a Ti version, I'd think twice about it, but I don't think that would have ever happened :)

Likewise the Manbox thing...it's a shame to see Casio allow that kind of thing to happen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information