GShock GA-100 vs AWGM100
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: GShock GA-100 vs AWGM100

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    kaj
    kaj is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    252

    Confused GShock GA-100 vs AWGM100

    Hello all,

    I am looking for a watch I can wear on the weekends, when I go cycling and when I go camping for example.

    For this, I am looking for a robust watch that can take a beating, but also still keep time if I don't wear it for a while (Quartz, not Auto or Mechanical).

    I am torn between these two G-Shocks, and have already figured out the following:


    GA-100

    Name:  GA100-1A1_xlarge.png
Views: 988
Size:  223.9 KB
    + Looks amazing (IMO)
    + Antimagnetic (Do I need this? Does it matter?)
    - Only 2 year battery life... (Will it last as long with alarms set up?)


    AWGM100

    Name:  AWGM100-1A_xlarge.png
Views: 961
Size:  290.3 KB
    + Atomic Timekeeping (Was wondering if anyone knew if this is 'future proof'? I mean how long will casio have their radio towers that work for the specific watch? Will it stop working after some time?)
    + Solar powered (Will I be able to replace the rechargeable battery?)
    - Not Antimagnetic (Again, not sure whether this is necessary or not... Please let me know)


    --------------

    Please let me know which one you would pick and why, also if you have any answers to the questions I put next to the points I would highly appreciate if you could tell me that too.

    (Btw, price isn't an issue at all so please do not use that as an argument to support either watch as they are both within my budget )

    Best regards,
    K.A.J.

  2. #2
    Member Watch_Geekmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,116

    Re: GShock GA-100 vs AWGM100

    Here are some more differences between the 2. The AWGM100 has better lume, with Neo-Brite hands and indices. The GA100 on the other hand, has either no lume or only small bit at the tip of the hands. The GA100 does provide more digital functions (e.g. 1/1000s 100h stopwatch; 24h timer) than the AWGM100 (e.g. 1/100s 60min stopwatch; 100min timer). The AWGM100 also has a negative display version, but with the tiny circular displays, it's almost unreadable, so I suggest staying with the positive model. The GA100's digital displays are bigger, and may be easier to read even with negative. The GA100's significantly bigger than the AWGM100, that may or may not be an issue depending on your preference.

    Antimagnetic is only useful if you frequently come into contact with strong magnetic sources due to your occupation. Solar rechargeable battery is easily replaceable and inexpensive, but likely you don't have to do that in a very long time. Nothing's future-proof in terms of technology. But it's been 15 years since the Casio released their first atomic timekeeping watch, and the tech's still going strong! It has grown from originally 2 towers to now 6. I say it's still a viable tech for decades to come. By the way, Casio don't own the atomic time radio towers, the governments (in different countries) do.
    Last edited by watch_geek2014; October 4th, 2015 at 02:16.

  3. #3
    Member GaryK30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,180

    Re: GShock GA-100 vs AWGM100

    Quote Originally Posted by watch_geek2014 View Post
    Here are some more differences between the 2. The AWGM100 has better lume, with Neo-Brite hands and indices. The GA100 on the other hand, has either no lume or only small bit at the tip of the hands.
    I have an AWG-M100A, and I find the lume to be quite weak and short lived. Also, it's only on the ends of the skeletonized hands. At least there is an LED to illuminated the hands, but sadly there is no illumination for the LCDs.

    Even my two inexpensive AQS-800 models have better lume than the AWG-M100A, but they are still quite weak. My Citizen BN0100-00E, Citizen BV1085-06E, and Seiko SSA051 have immensely better lume than these three Casios.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    kaj
    kaj is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    252

    Re: GShock GA-100 vs AWGM100

    Quote Originally Posted by watch_geek2014 View Post
    Here are some more differences between the 2. The AWGM100 has better lume, with Neo-Brite hands and indices. The GA100 on the other hand, has either no lume or only small bit at the tip of the hands. The GA100 does provide more digital functions (e.g. 1/1000s 100h stopwatch; 24h timer) than the AWGM100 (e.g. 1/100s 60min stopwatch; 100min timer). The AWGM100 also has a negative display version, but with the tiny circular displays, it's almost unreadable, so I suggest staying with the positive model. The GA100's digital displays are bigger, and may be easier to read even with negative. The GA100's significantly bigger than the AWGM100, that may or may not be an issue depending on your preference.

    Antimagnetic is only useful if you frequently come into contact with strong magnetic sources due to your occupation. Solar rechargeable battery is easily replaceable and inexpensive, but likely you don't have to do that in a very long time. Nothing's future-proof in terms of technology. But it's been 15 years since the Casio released their first atomic timekeeping watch, and the tech's still going strong! It has grown from originally 2 towers to now 6. I say it's still a viable tech for decades to come. By the way, Casio don't own the atomic time radio towers, the governments (in different countries) do.
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    I have an AWG-M100A, and I find the lume to be quite weak and short lived. Also, it's only on the ends of the skeletonized hands. At least there is an LED to illuminated the hands, but sadly there is no illumination for the LCDs.

    Even my two inexpensive AQS-800 models have better lume than the AWG-M100A, but they are still quite weak. My Citizen BN0100-00E, Citizen BV1085-06E, and Seiko SSA051 have immensely better lume than these three Casios.

    Thank you very much for the information!! If it was up to you, which one would you choose and why?

    Best regards

  6. #5
    Moderator G-Shock Forum
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,915

    Re: GShock GA-100 vs AWGM100

    Quote Originally Posted by kaj View Post
    Thank you very much for the information!! If it was up to you, which one would you choose and why?

    Best regards
    Asking this question in this very forum will usually gernerate this answer:
    Get both!

    I own both and for use as a timepiece i like the GA-100 more because of the better readable LCD (in the positive versions its excellent for a ana-digi) and the better visible hands (in the hight contrast color variantions).
    So my suggestion if you need digital readouts frequently:
    GA-100 with positive display



    Negative version to compare:


    If you need a no-maintenance watch and hand readout only.
    AWG-M100
    Edinburgh1066 and Rocat like this.

  7. #6
    kaj
    kaj is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    252

    Re: GShock GA-100 vs AWGM100

    .
    Last edited by kaj; October 4th, 2015 at 13:02. Reason: duplicate post

  8. #7
    kaj
    kaj is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    252

    Re: GShock GA-100 vs AWGM100

    Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    Asking this question in this very forum will usually gernerate this answer:
    Get both!

    I own both and for use as a timepiece i like the GA-100 more because of the better readable LCD (in the positive versions its excellent for a ana-digi) and the better visible hands (in the hight contrast color variantions).
    So my suggestion if you need digital readouts frequently:
    GA-100 with positive display

    If you need a no-maintenance watch and hand readout only.
    AWG-M100

    Thank you very much for the info & pics!!!

    I personally prefer the look of the full black GA-100 (with negative display), and that's a really good picture you have of it too!

    I will use the alarms on a daily basis, will this decrease the already quite short 2 year battery life by a lot?

    Best regards,
    K.A.J.

  9. #8
    Moderator G-Shock Forum
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,915

    Re: GShock GA-100 vs AWGM100

    Yes it will shorten the battery life (but Casio is calculating one alarm and illuminator activation/Day in already).
    My oldest GA-100 is the negative version and it runs for more then 4 years now on the first battery.

    But its hard to predict how much it will be shortened.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaj View Post
    Thanks for the info & pics!!

    I personally think that the GA-100 with negative display looks a lot better than the one with positive display.

    I'd also be using the alarms on a daily basis, would this shorten the already quite short quoted 2 years battery life?\

    Thanks

  10. #9
    kaj
    kaj is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    252

    Re: GShock GA-100 vs AWGM100

    Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    Yes it will shorten the battery life (but Casio is calculating one alarm and illuminator activation/Day in already).
    My oldest GA-100 is the negative version and it runs for more then 4 years now on the first battery.

    But its hard to predict how much it will be shortened.

    Ok, many thanks.

    So for my needs you'd recommend the black, negative GA-100 over the AWGM100?

  11. #10
    Moderator G-Shock Forum
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,915

    Re: GShock GA-100 vs AWGM100

    If you use the digital functions a lot: Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by kaj View Post
    Ok, many thanks.

    So for my needs you'd recommend the black, negative GA-100 over the AWGM100?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. SOLD: gshock GA-100
      By billyd in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: August 2nd, 2012, 15:20
    2. my GD-100 fake gshock!!!
      By casioholic in forum Fake G-Shock Report
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: June 7th, 2011, 14:14
    3. I want to buy new Gshock GD 100 or GA 100
      By adisic in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: March 4th, 2011, 02:48
    4. I want to buy new Gshock GD 100 or GA 100
      By adisic in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: February 16th, 2011, 02:03
    5. GSHOCK GD-100-1a F/S Like New!!!!!!
      By rambo4hire in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: November 12th, 2010, 15:47

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •