GSHOCK "Multi-function Alarm" Question
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: GSHOCK "Multi-function Alarm" Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GSHOCK "Multi-function Alarm" Question

I own a handful of GSHOCK watches but only appreciated this feature recently. This feature lets you set Alarms on specific date as opposed to Daily Alarms. I find multiple Daily Alarms pretty useless as I rarely set different alarms daily.

The only problem is, I can't find any TOUGH SOLAR GSHOCK Watches that has Multifunction alarms. I find it intriguing that Casio has to downgrade Multifunction Alarms to Daily Alarms once a model gets a TOUGH SOLAR version. DW5600 has Multifunction alarm yet its TOUGH SOLAR version, G5600, has only 4 Daily alarms. DW6900 also has Multifunction Alarms yet G6900 only has Daily alarm. Same with G7900 and GR7900, G2310 and GR2310 and etc. Even the TOUGH SOLAR only models have only Daily Alarms like GX56, G9300, GR9110 and etc.

Is there a problem with TOUGH SOLAR and Multi-function Alarms together in the same watch? I'm guessing that this is due to most TOUGH SOLAR versions are just international versions of MULTIBAND models without the atomic reception feature. Having the "multiband" feature cost more memory and processing on the watch which prompted casio to downgrade the multi-function alarm feature. It just sucks that those TOUGH SOLAR only watches suffers from this. I've read somewhere before that Multiband Watches and it's Non-Multiband releases are exactly the same except for the Atomic Radio antenna. The LCD and anything else are just the same. Could have been better if they have included Multi-function alarms for the TOUGH SOLAR only releases.

What are your thoughts regarding this? Can you give me a model of GSHOCK with TOUGH SOLAR and Multi-Function Alarms?

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: GSHOCK "Multi-function Alarm" Question

Quote Originally Posted by tech-hero View Post
    What are your thoughts regarding this? Can you give me a model of GSHOCK with TOUGH SOLAR and Multi-Function Alarms?
    There is none. Don't overrate solar, it might be a nice feature but is not really necessary compared to watches that run on high capacity Lithium batteries (such as the G-7900 you already mentioned).

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    There is none. Don't overrate solar, it might be a nice feature but is not really necessary compared to watches that run on high capacity Lithium batteries (such as the G-7900 you already mentioned).

cheers
    None? Ah that's sad. :( Oh why casio? Why?

Yeah, I don't overrate solar but, it matters when you keep on playing with other stuffs
    aside from timekeeping. I prefer wearing a TOUGH Solar watches when i go to places that has tendencies to make me a Castaway. :D

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Quote Originally Posted by tech-hero View Post
    None? Ah that's sad. :( Oh why casio? Why?

Yeah, I don't overrate solar but, it matters when you keep on playing with other stuffs
    aside from timekeeping. I prefer wearing a TOUGH Solar watches when i go to places that has tendencies to make me a Castaway. :D
    From all the discussion and observations made over the years Casio appearantly never put all the good things into one watch.
    Its not just the alarm, its also the repeating timer which i need rather frequently.
    There are very few solar Gs with a repeating timer....

For full alarm functionality you may also check the G-7700.
    It supports alarms programmable for workdays or weekends.
    nigelw likes this.

I'm with Cal..45 on this one. Solar is highly overrated unless you are living in the tropics :) a battery costs less than $2 and it can last a couple of years under intense use. I really bother using my solars during winter and i find it extremely annoying to line them up over the window to let them catch some light. I'm even scared to use the illumination fearing to see the charge indicator turn from medium to low :P

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    From all the discussion and observations made over the years Casio appearantly never put all the good things into one watch.
    Its not just the alarm, its also the repeating timer which i need rather frequently.
    There are very few solar Gs with a repeating timer....

For full alarm functionality you may also check the G-7700.
    It supports alarms programmable for workdays or weekends.
    I've taken that watch into consideration but, it doesn't have TOUGH Solar. I have other Non-solar watch and they have Multi-function alarms too. I just want that secure feeling of having a "Tough Solar" watch. Less worry about changing batteries regardless of usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mata View Post
    I'm with Cal..45 on this one. Solar is highly overrated unless you are living in the tropics :) a battery costs less than $2 and it can last a couple of years under intense use. I really bother using my solars during winter and i find it extremely annoying to line them up over the window to let them catch some light. I'm even scared to use the illumination fearing to see the charge indicator turn from medium to low :P
    Yes, I'm living in the tropics. I have no problems with sunlight. As long as i wear the watch, battery discharge isn't a problem. Perhaps the power saving function allows us prolong the battery life of the watch for as long as 27months.

Need more suggestions if any :(

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

I'm afraid you can't get suggestions for something that doesn't exist

cheers
    Rocat likes this.
    We are 12.6 %

Quote Originally Posted by Mata View Post
    I'm with Cal..45 on this one. Solar is highly overrated ...
    I agree.

This is one more nail in an otherwise nailed shut coffin for current technology solar watches.

If you look at the (overpriced) battery in the current Tough Solar watches you will see it is a low voltage low capacity battery. It's a battery that would normally be called a knackered battery that needs replacing. When I check the batteries in my watches, anything under 2.5V gets binned.

For example the ML2016 battery in the Tough Solar has a charged up voltage of only 2.3V as opposed to 3V for the CR2016 and CR2032. So even when charged up fully, the voltage is low.

I know that Casio may have developed new lower voltage circuits but I doubt it very much because they are masters of using up the same circuits over and over again and Casio watches do run OK on only 2.3V.

Also the ML2016 battery has a capacity of only 30mAh whereas the CR2016 has 90mAh and the 2032 has a comparatively enormous 225mAh. So the ability of solar watches to do things like make the beep sound or turn the back-light are greatly reduced.

It is my theory that the alarms in Tough Solar watches are simplified or features are removed altogether and also that the loudness and duration of the individual beeps shortened to reduce the battery drain.

The irony is that most G-Shocks have unused room inside them that could be used for bigger better rechargeable batteries. Or even better would be to use bigger non rechargable normal Lithium batteries and make the watches feature rich just like the old ones.
    nigelw, cal..45 and Chrisek like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information