Gulfman battery issue

Thread: Gulfman battery issue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Gulfman battery issue

I'm at work at the moment so can't give you a module number, but here's my query: I got a used Gulfman from ebay, in faulty order. The seller said he was in a sporting event, the watch got mud covered and since then seemed to "eat" batteries. I decided to give it a go anyway, (I only got it for £11!). Anyway, I stripped it, cleaned everything, (it wasn't covered in mud BTW), and stuck a new battery in. Turns out he was correct as a battery lasts about 2 days! Anyone got any ideas on this? Is it even fixable? Thanks for any help/advice. Also, sorry about no separate paragraphs, but the work PC keyboard Return key doesn't do anything on this forum!! Rick

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Gulfman battery issue

Quote Originally Posted by sodamonkey View Post
    I'm at work at the moment so can't give you a module number, but here's my query: I got a used Gulfman from ebay, in faulty order. The seller said he was in a sporting event, the watch got mud covered and since then seemed to "eat" batteries. I decided to give it a go anyway, (I only got it for £11!). Anyway, I stripped it, cleaned everything, (it wasn't covered in mud BTW), and stuck a new battery in. Turns out he was correct as a battery lasts about 2 days! Anyone got any ideas on this? Is it even fixable? Thanks for any help/advice. Also, sorry about no separate paragraphs, but the work PC keyboard Return key doesn't do anything on this forum!! Rick
    I've never heard of any Casio (or any watch brand for that matter) that ate a batt in 2 days, especially not a CR2025 (presuming you are talking about the G-9100). You might bought a fake watch, any chances of some pics?

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

cal..45 - no neither had I until this one. I have been getting Casio's going for a hobby for a couple of years now, and to my untrained eye this one does look genuine, nothing has made me think it isn't, but then I'm no expert either!!

I've taken 7 photos of the watch, see what you think. Just as an aside, I did use a Maxell lithium battery, it was brand new though, but is there a chance it was no good? I usually have silver oxide batteries, i.e. Renata or Sony, but didn't have any stock of the 2025.

Also, I have another Casio, a Twin Sensor SGW-300H that weirdly has suffered the same fate, this one used a battery within a day, but as above, it wasn't a silver oxide, but a Panasonic 2016. Again I had no decent brand in my stock. What do you think? I'm ordering some silver oxides today.

Here are the Gulfman, (G-9100), photos:

Cheers!!

Rick

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This needs a CR2025 battery. Don't use any other type. Did you use the correct type? Also did you do an AC reset after the battery change?

Also don't use silver oxide batteries they leak. Use lithium.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch100; April 26th, 2014 at 15:35.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Okay, the watch is legit no doubt about it. I'm puzzled to be honest, especially because you mentioned the same problem with a SGW-300

The CR2025 and CR2016 are both high capacity lithium cells with 170 respectively 90 mah, they should run troublefree for many years. At this point I can only agree with Mitch, don't use any silver-oxid types ( I don't think there are 3 volt s/o's anyway but still), use only proper lithium cells and make sure to do the A/C reset. And please report back, this problem is VERY unusual and sounds interesting.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Mitch100 - I didn't know that about s/o batteries, I thought they were better! Thanks for the info. Although I did just see that Renata are lithium anyway, some are on their way.

cal..45 - I'll be sure to post back once I have the new battery in next week sometime.

Both - I know about the A/C reset, thanks, and yes I did do that. Even if I didn't, would that be a reason for these watches to die like that? I know they don't always fire up without A/C reset, but some do.

Could they be shorting somewhere? Battery clips maybe? I only ask because I just managed to get a G-510 going after many, many attempts at re-starting it with new batteries, (I purchased it as non working thinking it would be a simple case of new batts, reset, bingo - but no!!). In the end I've had to put two small pieces of cardboard on top of each battery, (it has two 399's), and then secure the battery clip down because A/C reset just flashed up the display for a second then went off every time. It's stayed running now for a good 15 minutes with no issues. So could these other two have the same sort of problem do you think? I don't really like to "bodge" a watch in that fashion, but I guess if it gets it going then why not?

Let me know your thoughts on that,

Cheers!

Just a thought, but is the rear gasket seated correctly on re-assembly?

If there's a possibility of contact with the backplate, that might cause issues....
    Using Tapatalk

You would have notice it, but is there a chance that the light remains ON...
    "Sometimes I look at my watch to tell the time and end up staring at it for a little while......" iamsupersam (wus member) July 29th, 2012

Blaise13 - The light doesn't stay on, but saying that I have been wondering if somehow one of the button contacts inside is touching. Also looking at my photos, the light button does seem to be further in than the others, but as above the light doesn't stay on, or come on by itself if that button is touching.

Matt_C - I'm pretty sure the gasket is ok, but will double check. I wonder if putting the rear case on upside down might work. I've had it once before that on a Casio, with the case the correct way, everything faded when I screwed it down, and was ok when I turned it around. I'd be surprised if that was it though.

Update - I decided to stick another Maxell battery in this morning, this time after checking the buttons, etc. They all seemed fine, with nothing contacting on the movement.

I took the movement out of the watch, and even with just the movement sitting on it's own, the display is still fading and no doubt by tomorrow the battery will be dead. I am going to wait until I receive the new Renata batteries next week and then try one of those. If the same happens then I guess there's an unknown short or circuitry problem somewhere? Is it then worth sending it to Casio do you think? I'm assuming they will look before working on it?

It's a nice watch, and a shame to have to possibly send to watch heaven

I'll post back when I have anything else to tell you,

Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information