I had an old ICERC Gulfman band that had yellowed with age and was a prime candidate for a dye project. I wanted to make a camo pattern kind of like a G-python. I got a sheet of duct tape paper from the local arts and crafts store (it is like duct tape, but in a sheet with a waxy backing on the bottom so you can peel it like a sticker). I drew some camo blobs on the duct tape sheet and cut them out. I stuck them to the top part of the the resin, and stuck a layer of duct tape on the back side of the resin completely covering it (to prevent the back of the band from getting dyed (I did not want that to happen yet).
Next, I dyed black
Next, I gave the parts a bath in vinegar to set the dye and peeled off some of the blobs of tape, including the tape on the back of the band.
Next, I dyed tan, gave a vinegar bath, and peeled off the rest of the blobs of tape. It was looking like a desert camo pattern. I could have stopped here
I had green dye, so I dyed the parts green. I also dyed the keeper green.
I painted the recessed letters black because I thought the blue looked odd. Too bad there is no way to take off the blue ICERC band printing. I have tried everything from acetone to auto paint stripper and nothing takes off the band writing, so I did not try to take it off on this project.
This was a test run. I originally planned to do this with a clear frogman band, but I didn't want to ruin the frogman band because they are expensive. I wanted to make sure I knew it would work.
-The band remains translucent. This would work better on a matte white band, but I don't have any matte white bands. There are none available except for 6900 models and mudman models as far as I know. I may try this with one of those in the future.
-If I do this again, I will shoot for more contrast. The black must be VERY black, and the other colors must be brighter. Otherwise, it starts looking very muddy.
-This process took longer than I expected, and 90% of the time was in the dye process (the cutting of the tape didn't take as long as I thought it would).
-RIT dye can be very messy. I have a lot of cleaning to do in the kitchen.
-Overall, I am glad the process works, but I wish there were more matte white replacement bands available for different models. This pattern would really pop on a matte white band.