Gulfman Camo Dye Project (lots of pics)
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Gulfman Camo Dye Project (lots of pics)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gulfman Camo Dye Project (lots of pics)

I had an old ICERC Gulfman band that had yellowed with age and was a prime candidate for a dye project. I wanted to make a camo pattern kind of like a G-python. I got a sheet of duct tape paper from the local arts and crafts store (it is like duct tape, but in a sheet with a waxy backing on the bottom so you can peel it like a sticker). I drew some camo blobs on the duct tape sheet and cut them out. I stuck them to the top part of the the resin, and stuck a layer of duct tape on the back side of the resin completely covering it (to prevent the back of the band from getting dyed (I did not want that to happen yet).

Next, I dyed black

Next, I gave the parts a bath in vinegar to set the dye and peeled off some of the blobs of tape, including the tape on the back of the band.

Next, I dyed tan, gave a vinegar bath, and peeled off the rest of the blobs of tape. It was looking like a desert camo pattern. I could have stopped here

I had green dye, so I dyed the parts green. I also dyed the keeper green.

I painted the recessed letters black because I thought the blue looked odd. Too bad there is no way to take off the blue ICERC band printing. I have tried everything from acetone to auto paint stripper and nothing takes off the band writing, so I did not try to take it off on this project.

This was a test run. I originally planned to do this with a clear frogman band, but I didn't want to ruin the frogman band because they are expensive. I wanted to make sure I knew it would work.

Conclusions:

-The band remains translucent. This would work better on a matte white band, but I don't have any matte white bands. There are none available except for 6900 models and mudman models as far as I know. I may try this with one of those in the future.

-If I do this again, I will shoot for more contrast. The black must be VERY black, and the other colors must be brighter. Otherwise, it starts looking very muddy.

-This process took longer than I expected, and 90% of the time was in the dye process (the cutting of the tape didn't take as long as I thought it would).

-RIT dye can be very messy. I have a lot of cleaning to do in the kitchen.

-Overall, I am glad the process works, but I wish there were more matte white replacement bands available for different models. This pattern would really pop on a matte white band.

Very nice mod and thanks for the detailed step by step guide. I think the camo looks cool on the translucent resin. I like the army green camo but this one might have been more suited for a blue camo pattern. All in all, it's a great looking mod and probably a good learning experience for your next project.

Re: Gulfman Camo Dye Project (lots of pics)

Quote Originally Posted by DBlock72 View Post
    Very nice mod and thanks for the detailed step by step guide. I think the camo looks cool on the translucent resin. I like the army green camo but this one might have been more suited for a blue camo pattern. All in all, it's a great looking mod and probably a good learning experience for your next project.

Thanks. I was originally planning to do the gulfman in blue ocean camo and the frogman in green army camo, but I changed my mind midway because the blue dye was too difficult to work with. My first step was actually dying dark blue, but I changed it to black because the blue dye was not very effective and I had to add black to get the color dark enough. After that, I gave up on using the blue

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Impressive work.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

THP

Very nice job..thanks for sharing!

Very nice! Looks awesome!

Looking good... I like.. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by kung-fusion View Post
    Thanks. I was originally planning to do the gulfman in blue ocean camo and the frogman in green army camo, but I changed my mind midway because the blue dye was too difficult to work with. My first step was actually dying dark blue, but I changed it to black because the blue dye was not very effective and I had to add black to get the color dark enough. After that, I gave up on using the blue
    I figured you had thought to do it in blue. Do you think that dyeing the strap and bezel white first would make the pattern have more contrast?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by DBlock72 View Post
    I figured you had thought to do it in blue. Do you think that dyeing the strap and bezel white first would make the pattern have more contrast?
    I would love it if there was a way to dye the clear band to be opaque white, but there is no such thing as a white dye (I have looked into it). The only way would be to paint or coat the band, then there is the issue of the coating potentially peeling off. If I had access to the machines that Casio uses to make parts, I could coat the band white first. Then again, if I had access to their machines and chemicals, I would do all sorts of crazy things.

You could do this for money.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information