Gulfman G9100 and GLX5600 weird UTC setting ???
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike K

Thread: Gulfman G9100 and GLX5600 weird UTC setting ???

Gulfman G9100 and GLX5600 weird UTC setting ???

I just realized something weird in the GLX5600 and the Gulfman G9100 that I'll try to explain.
    In this module, the HT is set by UTC differential, while the WT is set by city names.
    I would expect that changing the DST in the HT would have no further influence.
    However, I can see that changing the DST in the HT modifies the UTC !
    Possible explanation : even though the UTC is configured manually, it seems that the watch updates it automatically : it calculates it as the difference between the actual HT and the actual London time in the WT. (whether or not these actual times are with DST).
    So it seems that as far as the HT is concerned, changing the DST always modifies the UTC. However, I think that the UTC should be configured only manually and shouldn't be modified by the watch automatically in any case.
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

Re: Gulfman G9100 and GLX5600 weird UTC setting ???

For non atomics I do not set dst at all ... Just go with your current zones UTC .... The rest of the wt should follow, but some may need dst to be turned on or off depending on the time of year etc
    -Coi- instagram @kandyredcoi / Facebook

In my case (on the G-7900) - when I have DST on and go into adjust mode the watch shows UTC+2 - if I turn DST off it's UTC+1 - should be normal IMO.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The problems of "world time" watches are multiplied by the facts that:

• UTC is NOT always London Time (since British Summer Time is an hour ahead of UTC/GMT)
    • the dates for starting/ending Daylight Saving Time vary by country and/or part of a particular country: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_by_country
    • the United States and Great Britain (and maybe more countries) have, in the past few years, CHANGED the dates they historically used to start/stop Daylight Saving Time

Even with several atomic G Shocks, I've grown resigned to the fact that the only way I'll be REALLY sure what time it is in the UK -- at a glance -- is from the digital clock on my computer desk, which I update when my British friend sends me an e-mail/IM. "Hey, we just sprang ahead/fell back -- have you guys switched yet?" (This website is useful as well: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ )
    freeman likes this.

Well in fact maybe the UTC has no importance.
    Last edited by freeman; September 24th, 2012 at 14:51.
    G9100BP - GLX5600 (*4) - G5600 (*3) - GLS5600 - GWM5600 - G7710 - G2500 (*2) - SGW100

Thread Information