Gulfman and the importance of rust resistance
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Gulfman and the importance of rust resistance

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    LUW

Exclamation Gulfman and the importance of rust resistance

We all know there's no such thing as a perfect G. Be it because of looks or (specially) because of the module, Casio can't (doesn't want?) to make the perfect G-Shock . However, sometimes they get very close to a perfect G-Shock. Well, being honest, usually they get pretty close . And for me a very good example of an almost-perfect G is the G-9100-2DR Gulfman.

I've been wanting to get a Gulfman for a looooong time, but always some other model got in the way, and I kept postponing it. Two things attracted me initially to this model: being a Master of G model, and specially, the Ti case back. When I started to "get serious" about mountain biking in the mid 90's a Ti frame was at the time something almost magic, but specially here in Brazil the price of a Ti ("magic metal") bike was totally out of my reach. Years passed, technologies evolved and I still don't have a Ti bike, but I'll always be a sucker for the magic metal on watches . I particularly think it's the perfect metal for a metal watch: rust resistant, light, tough, hippo-allergenic and not-shiny (I never was a fan of bling in any form).

The Ti makes it very light, with only 54 g. That makes the Gulfman my lightest watch, bar none. It's also on the "regular size", with 46.2 mm in diameter and 16.3 mm high. Being so light and with regular dimensions means that you basically forget that you have a watch on your wrist. The strap isn't THE most comfortable strap I have, but it's very nice to wear.

So why is it only "almost perfect"? Why, because of the module, of course. The 3088 has almost all that I want, but commits two sins: you can't reverse the moon phase between the South/North hemisphere (with the 3261 module of the Muddy 9300 you can), and worse of all, the SW and CT do not display current time . And according to the G-Shock Code:
    6. Countdown timer & stopwatch
    You shall only buy a model that displays current time in CT and SW mode. If the watch doesn't have the feature but is cool, go ahead and buy it, though then you shall moan about the lack of the feature on online forums.

The lack of current time on SW mode means it's not an ideal model for mountain biking, but being so light almost makes up for that. And in interesting and pretty ironic fact about that inaugural ride last two Fridays ago (the same day I received the Gulfman in the mail). I got home fine after the ride but at night my right eye started to bother me. The next morning it was totally red and stinging, and on close examination I could see a small black dot at the 6 o'clock of my cornea - yeah, something got into my eye. So I went to the ER and the ophthalmologist saw I had some sort of metal particle in my cornea. Worse of all, it already had oxidized (literally my cornea was rusting, I kid you not), so he had to remove the particle AND drill (yes, drill) all the rust out. The result: I had to stay quiet at home until last Wednesday with an eye bandage, with the risk of an infection that could lead to cornea ulcer. That's pretty serious; depending on the degree it can ruin your cornea and then you need a transplant (!!!). But yesterday I went back to the eye doctor and all is well with my eye, I can even get back on the saddle again and no more stingy eye drops .

So there you have it: another almost perfect G-Shock. Is it worth it? Heck yeah, a great all-arounder, though it's not in conformity with the modern big-is-better trend. But for those like me, who don't "need" gignormous watches, this is a pretty neat one to get .
    Last edited by LUW; August 29th, 2012 at 05:47.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Re: Gulfman and the importance of rust resistance

I've got the old school Gulfman. The 9700. Had it for more that 13 years. It's my sentimental favorite. I have totally abused it with endless saltwater abuse. Still looks and works great. Nice write up and photos. Enjoy!

Mike

Banned

Great write-up and pics. This is currently my only only G-Shock and I love it. Or, should I say, loved it. The battery died and I decided I'd do a hydro conversion. Ordered the silicon oil, went to remove the caseback, and I noticed that one of the screw heads had sheared right off . Not impressed, it's impossible to remove the rest of the screw, so I would need to buy a new bezel, which from Casio Australia costs almost the same as a whole new Gulfman. So I recently started looking for a G to replace the Gulfman, with the condition that it MUST have a screw down caseback.

The Gulfman served me well for a couple of years, though and copped all sorts of abuse. It is extremely comfortable (due in no small part to the extremely light weight), and the feature set is great (the lack of current time display when using timers doesn't bother me) but solar would be a nice addition. The caseback design is so cool, as is the dual coloured EL back lighting. Plenty of presence due to the blue and black colour combination, with sweet grey details, but not over the top in width or height.

Just a great package, and superb value - the cheapest Master of G? I hope you enjoy your as much as I do - er, did - mine!
    hiro1963 and Coler like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

EMT

awesome review and glad to hear you and your eye are better. I kinda wish I kept my Gulfman but now I use my G9300-ER for mountain biking, but the Gulfman series are great watches, I feel like they are under appreciated, perhaps because they are indeed smaller than most G's.

Following up from EMT (both with the gulfman and the thoughts) i genuinely enjoy the gulfman a ton, and one other aspect often not mentioned in comparos (gw7900 et al) is the obvious quality of the gulfman.
    Once again LUW, great write up. Once again, completely agreed :beer:
    Yes, I am OCD. What gave it away?

terrific write up. I'm in the same boat that you were....on my wish list currently, but too many others in the way. Definitely like the blue model vs. the black/red one.

Quote Originally Posted by LUW View Post
    I've been wanting to get a Gulfman for a looooong time, but always some other model got in the way, and I kept postponing it.
    Same here. I'm about 99% sure that if ever I once again become rich enough to buy another watch, it will be a Gulfman.

so he had to remove the particle AND drill (yes, drill) all the rust out.
    At first I was like Name:  whatsthis.gif
Views: 4130
Size:  4.7 KB

...and then Name:  shocked.jpeg
Views: 5293
Size:  2.3 KB

Inactive

Wink Re: Gulfman and the importance of rust resistance

hippo-allergenic
    Always in favour of this in a watch

Auch... I had a student once, who got a piece of metal in his eye, while riding after a bus. Although, not rusted yet, he had to go through something similar too. I always wear protective glasses on my bikes.

Nice Gulfman review. I have several and like the features on it. At that time it was one of the only models with a Tidegraph.

Cheers,

Sjors
    There are only 10 kind of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bezoek ook eens het Nederlandstalige WUS forum: Kaliber 2010

LUW

Thanks guys, I'm happy you appreciated the write-up!
    The Gulfman is an overlooked model IMO, something you don't hear much praise about around here. I have this thing for low-profile models, so together with all the watch's qualities I'm VERY happy with it. If it showed current time in SW and CT modes it could possibly be my favorite model and a very serious contender to the 9300 Muddy as my "bike watch" .

And about the eye. I really don't know if it was during my last bike ride, because I always wear sports glasses and I didn't feel a thing. It must have been, because I got home around 6pm and a couple of hours later I was already feeling something wrong with my right eye. The ophthalmologist explained that because of the salt in your tears, a metal foreign body in the eye starts to rust in around just two hours, so usually you can't just remove the particle, and have to get the rust out. That's why he used the drill - more like a Dremel, in fact, that basically scrapped all the dirty parts out of my cornea. With the anesthetics you don't feel a thing, but when they wore off, it hurt like hell. I basically stayed the whole Saturday afternoon in my bedroom, in the dark.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information