GW-2000 died
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kotik
  • 1 Post By Kotik

Thread: GW-2000 died

GW-2000 died

My eight month old GW-2000 died. The hands are parked at 12 o'clock and will not move.

Exposing to light does not help, neither does pressing the buttons. The watch has been exposed to normal daylight every day so the battery should have stayed fully charged.

Now I will see how Amazon handles warranty issues.

Replacing the battery iwould be the obvious solution but I have seen posts from people where the mechanism had to be replaced.
    Last edited by Kotik; November 23rd, 2011 at 07:19.

Re: GW-2000 died

Amazon is great.

They offered to take the watch back and refund, as they do not have a replacement in stock.

I opted to take the watch to a retailer so Casio can repair it. It is easier for me to drop the watch at a shop than mail it back to Amazon.

Let us hope it is just a dead battery.
    BrendanSilent likes this.

I have googled some on this issue. Most often the battery is faulty and replacing it solves the problem. But sometimes the recharging system is not working properly and the whole movement has to be replaced.

I left a letter with the watch where I requested not just changing the battery but to check that the watch actually charges the battery. If the recharging circuit is not working and they just install a new battery, the battery will die again in less than a year and by then the watch will be out of warranty.

I wonder how they check the recharger. Are there tests that can be performed on the movement?

Where can I find a repair manual or technical manual for this watch or movement? I am curious to know what kind of test procedures are specified for it.

And of course it will be interesting to see how our local Casio distributor will handle warranty work on a watch that was bought mail order from another EU country and the watch in question was never officially imported to my country. I printed out and gave with the watch the email I got from Casio Europe where they instructed to take the watch to the nearest official repair center.
    Last edited by Kotik; November 24th, 2011 at 20:20.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No news from Casio, yet.

Now another solar died on me, this time a Citizen diver. It works only as long as I subject it to a bright light, then it stops in a few minutes. I bought the watch new just a few months ago. When I got the watch, I gave it several hours of direct sun to recharge it after storage and then it has been on a bookshelf where it gets the full duration of daylight every day. I have worn the watch only a couple of times. It seems the battery does not hold a charge anymore.

Amazon is a champion, they will refund the cost of the watch as they do not have this model in stock to send a replacement.

I have bought a dozen or so solar Casios and Citizens in the past year. Now two of them are dead in spite of receiving full day's worth of light every day. That is quite a failure percentage.

This is it, no more solar or other rechargeable watches for me. I do not want to change expensive rechargeble batteries every six months and still be in constant fear of the watch stopping at any moment.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Sorry to hear of your peculiar solar watch problem. I say peculiar, because I've not had any solar watches fail on me ever. And that's Citizen as well as Casio. My oldest solar Casio is a G-2310 that I bought used, that was likely made somewhere between 2001 and 2005. It's still going strong on the original battery. My oldest Citizen is an Eco-drive titanium chronograph that I bought new in 1998. Eleven years later I conducted my second battery test, allowing it to drain to almost empty, and it took 78 days (specs say watch will go 80 days from a full charge). That's an excellent track record.

I'll have to believe that your problems were either simple bad luck on the mechanisms in two models, or the batteries were faulty. There has been a tech bulletin out about some CTL-1616 batteries being faulty. I wouldn't buy more solar watches, only because you already have a good number of them. It's a bit of a pain to have a whole shelf occupied with watches getting their daily dose of sunlight. I have 4 Citizen Eco-drive watches and 3 Casio solar watches, and don't plan to get any more of them.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I have bought a dozen or so solar Casios and Citizens in the past year. Now two of them are dead in spite of receiving full day's worth of light every day. That is quite a failure percentage.

This is it, no more solar or other rechargeable watches for me. I do not want to change expensive rechargeble batteries every six months and still be in constant fear of the watch stopping at any moment.
    That is extremely unlucky! Like a previous poster, I also have 3 Citizen Skyhawks solars, the first one bought also in 1998. It is working as well now as when I opened the box new. I also have 3 x solar G Shocks, all of which have given me no cause for concern. I love the fact of having a watch with it's own internal power supply, never having to be opened for a battery replacment, and potential gasket failure. I'm sure if I'd have had 2 fail on me I would also feel like you do, but, so far, so good....
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

There have been quite a number of reports on the forum about dying GW-2000/2500 and I think the reason is in most cases a bad CTL920. There obviously has been a bad batch of those batteries - or even a whole series - there is in fact a CTL920F that is the improved 2nd gen of CTL920 - the 1st gen had some issues.

cheers, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    There have been quite a number of reports on the forum about dying GW-2000/2500 and I think the reason is in most cases a bad CTL920. There obviously has been a bad batch of those batteries - or even a whole series - there is in fact a CTL920F that is the improved 2nd gen of CTL920 - the 1st gen had some issues.
    Ah, that's it--the CTL920 (although some of the CTL-1616 had issues). I'll bet anything it was the battery in the OP's case.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

I got the Casio back from a local retailer. The watch works. There was no explanation as to what was done to the watch. No costs, it was done under warranty.

As to the Citizen diver, I sent it back to Amazon and they refunded the cost of the watch.

Now I am learning to disassemble and assemble watches so my interests lie in affordable mechanical watches. It is a great pleasure to step up from being just a buyer and consumer to beginning to learn how watches work and how to service them myself. Instead of adding to my collection of Casios and Citizens lately I have been buying watchmakers' tools and affordable mechanical watches and movements as practice material. Gaining knowledge and experience feels a lot sweeter than just buying and using stuff.
    lumpazi likes this.

Thread Information