GW-2310 fogged up
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike K
  • 2 Post By carpoon

Thread: GW-2310 fogged up

GW-2310 fogged up

I bought a G-Shock GW-2310 (second hand) and have been wearing it for the past few weeks and been loving it, has been dunked in water and generally treated the same as my ancient Timex Ironman was - apart from it has been exposed to sunlight slightly more often to keep it charged- and hasn't yet been swimming with me...only through pure fluke rather than choice

Anyway today I glanced at my watch at lunchtime - all was OK and a couple of hours later I took another glance to see if it was hometime yet and the face was all fogged up!

As soon as I came home I took the rear of the case off - and it doesn't have its O ring/seal!
    I can see the recess it would have sat in...but it definitely is not there!

(very good job I didn't take it swimming then! as I often dive to the bottom of the pool)

I have been searching for a replacement seal but not found any yet
    I have emailed Casio UK (because I'm in the UK) but I don't suspect I will hear back for some time

I have found a company in the UK (online) with some interesting looking G-shock parts and have emailed them to see if they can help

The back is off the watch and I will keep somewhere warm to see if I can remove the moisture before it causes any damage
    Fingers crossed I can find a suitable seal as I have really warmed to the G-Shock

Regards
    Rob

Re: GW-2310 fogged up

I've had the same exact issue on the same exact watch, only I DID go diving into the pool. The display went blank and the inside glass started fogging. I never opened the watch even and it was a new watch I purchased online a couple of years before. I quickly opened the back to dry out the insides and then stuck it in a container of white rice to draw out any remaining moisture. I kept it in there for 2 days to be safe and when I took it out it was working again. I did notice on my O-ring it was split down the middle so maybe that's how the moisture got in, but why would it have split in the first place? I was hoping to put it back on my wrist but I haven't found an o-ring yet so it sits on my dresser as a pocketwatch sans chain and straps.

EDIT: I did just look on Pac-Parts.com and found a substitute o-ring as the original ones are discontinued I guess.

http://www.pacparts.com/part.cfm?sku=91087722183

Seems pretty pricey for a very paper thin o-ring like this for $2.00 plus shipping.
    Last edited by tic-toc/g-shock; October 9th, 2015 at 20:34.

Welcome to Watchuseek, and we completely understand your enthusiasm for G-Shocks!

Quote Originally Posted by robocog View Post
    I have been searching for a replacement seal but not found any yet
    I have emailed Casio UK (because I'm in the UK) but I don't suspect I will hear back for some time

I have found a company in the UK (online) with some interesting looking G-shock parts and have emailed them to see if they can help

The back is off the watch and I will keep somewhere warm to see if I can remove the moisture before it causes any damage
    Fingers crossed I can find a suitable seal as I have really warmed to the G-Shock
    You don't say WHICH company in the UK with Casio parts that you have found, but if it's Tiktox.com, they should be able to help you out. They have apparently had some problems with prompt replies to e-mails, so if you don't hear back from them, give them a call via phone.

Tiktox can apparently get their hands on all of the parts that Pacparts.com can get, plus more that Pacparts can't, and Tiktox should be a less expensive alternative since you're in the UK.
    Rocat likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

robocog - I don't know if I'm allowed to post phone numbers on here but Casio UK's spare parts number is 020 8208 9567. It's quite a modern watch so I would expect they will have the gasket.

I've ordered from them before, and they are cheaper than Tiktox too!

HTH
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

It seems odd for the O-ring to have been missing. The GW is a solar watch, so there's usually not a whole lot of need to open it up. I'd double check the battery to make sure that they actually replaced it with a rechargeable and not just stuck in a normal battery (a lot cheaper) and disabled the charging.
    sodamonkey and xevious like this.

Agreed, didn't think of that! If charging's been disabled then there may be springs missing out of the module? That would mean a rechargeable watch wouldn't then charge at all? Is the battery in there a CTL robocog?
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by carpoon View Post
    It seems odd for the O-ring to have been missing. The GW is a solar watch, so there's usually not a whole lot of need to open it up. I'd double check the battery to make sure that they actually replaced it with a rechargeable and not just stuck in a normal battery (a lot cheaper) and disabled the charging.
    Good point, that happened to me with one solar watch I bought (annoys me to no end when someone replaces with a battery that "fits" but is the wrong model... probably because some cheapskate thought they could avoid the cost of a rechargeable battery).
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Thread Information