GW-3000BD Hands All Point to 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: GW-3000BD Hands All Point to 12

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GW-3000BD Hands All Point to 12

Hello, I woke up this morning and threw on my Aviaton GW-3000BD and all the hands including the subdial hands are pointing to 12. The date has also reset to 1. This is an analog, atomic and solar watch so I suspect it is a battery problem. It's seen plenty of sunlight so I don't think that's the issue. Anyone know what could be up? Do I need to take it anyplace special because it's a rechargeable battery. Thanks in advance. They don't make this watch anymore and I'd hate to see it die.

Re: GW-3000BD Hands All Point to 12

The manual clearly says that all hands at 12 is a battery that needs charge
    Try to give it more sunlight and if it doesn t success change the battery.
    How long do you have it ?
    "Sometimes I look at my watch to tell the time and end up staring at it for a little while......" iamsupersam (wus member) July 29th, 2012

While I'm not an expert on G-Shock Aviators, the charging issue sounds A LOT like the same problem with other solar G's.

What we consider "plenty of sunlight" isn't necessarily what Casio (or the owner's manual) considers enough sunlight -- the manual shows that model needs 26 hours of DIRECT sunlight to go from "power saving mode" to "full," or 96 hours of "sunlight through a window." The charging chart is at the top of page 1 of the manual: http://ftp.casio.co.jp/pub/world_man.../en/qw5121.pdf

After solar-powered G's are fully charged, it doesn't take much light to keep them that way, but a lot of people take them out of the sunshine long before they reach that state.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've had it for a couple years but it's older than that. I put it in a window for a while and it eventually came back to life. I thought these things could go like 18 months without a charge so I'm surprised it died. Anyway, Thanks for all your help

In case someone stumbles over it when searching: When the watch auto-aligns its hands it also moves everything to the 12 position. This happens for some watches regularly, it can also be triggered by the right order of button presses for some.

I'm quite surprised how so many peoples solar watches do not get enough sunshine. In bright daylight its less than 10 minutes a day to compensate the daily consumption. On a moderately overcast day it's perhaps an hour. Then artificial light also contributes to it. The daily walk to the bakery or greengrocer ought to be enough. Aren't you leaving your houses?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadmito View Post
    I've had it for a couple years but it's older than that. I put it in a window for a while and it eventually came back to life. I thought these things could go like 18 months without a charge so I'm surprised it died. Anyway, Thanks for all your help
    As mentioned above, the problem is that "came back to life" is only 1/12th or 1/15th of the way back to "fully charged."

With non-analog, digital-only G's, a lot of people take them out of the window as soon as the indicator reads "High" (which is ALSO a long way from fully charged) and wonder why it's back to "Medium" the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by sdog View Post
    In case someone stumbles over it when searching: When the watch auto-aligns its hands it also moves everything to the 12 position. This happens for some watches regularly, it can also be triggered by the right order of button presses for some.

I'm quite surprised how so many peoples solar watches do not get enough sunshine. In bright daylight its less than 10 minutes a day to compensate the daily consumption. On a moderately overcast day it's perhaps an hour. Then artificial light also contributes to it. The daily walk to the bakery or greengrocer ought to be enough. Aren't you leaving your houses?
    From "daily walk to the bakery" and "greengrocer" I'm guessing that you're somewhere in Europe?

A LOT of people in the US only leave their houses by getting in their cars, driving to work or the grocery or the gym, and walking for a minute or two across the parking lot. I've teased neighbors with garages attached to their homes and how park in "parking garages" attached to their skyscraper offices that they never actually GET outdoors in the course of a normal week!

I'm not sure about the OP's New York's weather, but here in Columbus we get a LOT of cloudy gray weather in the fall and winter, which isn't good for anybody's mood OR our solar watches!

Overcast sky is in general still bright enough to charge it in an hour or less.

I've been living in north america for a while now.

Well, even living far off bakeries (how can someone do that! bread only once a week?) most suburbians i know tell me about their yards, or how nice it is to jog in their area, or go for extended walks on the weekends.

Even if that's not the case, the hour lunch break, when its not raining most of you must spend it outside, i see people around here buying 80% to take out.
    Last edited by sdog; April 25th, 2014 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by sdog View Post
    Well, even living far off bakeries (how can someone do that! bread only once a week?) most suburbians i know tell me about their yards, or how nice it is to jog in their area, or go for extended walks on the weekends.

Even if that's not the case, the hour lunch break, when its not raining most of you must spend it outside, i see people around here buying 80% to take out.
    I can't think of anything short and pithy that doesn't reinforce the stereotype that a lot of Americans are sedentary, overweight, drive everywhere and prefer air-conditioning to heat and humidity.

Your experiences are not necessarily representative of the northern half or especially the northeastern parts of the US -- people who work indoors don't normally spend their "lunch hour" (which is seldom an hour) outside when there's snow on the ground or when it's hot and humid. I'm shocked and amazed at the number of landscapers and gardeners in my neighborhood whose clients seldom go outside and enjoy their manicured yards, and at the number of people who DRIVE to the gym for their twice-a-week workouts.

There are a few places in the US where people can get around by train and subway and by walking, but there are MANY more cities where it's like Los Angeles -- if you don't have a car, you literally "CAN'T get there from here."

I have a friend in the UK who's amazed at the fact that outside of major downtown areas, almost every American fast food restaurant has a drive-through, almost every bank has a drive-up window AND a drive-up ATM, as do a lot of Starbucks. Here in Columbus, we've recently seen a lot of pharmacies add drive-throughs as well!

Is it any wonder we're often on the "fattest" half of The Fittest and Fattest Cities in America | Men's Fitness ?

It's actually pretty simple why it wasn't charged enough. I own 12 watches and probably wear this one maybe twice a month. I guess the sunlight/lights in my room wasn't enough to keep it going. Now I wonder about my other solar G-Shocks.
    Mike K likes this.

Cadmito, sorry for hijacking your thread.

I'm happy your problem was solved by itself.
    . I
    @Mike K
    Sorry, i didn't intend to lampoon american habits. In hindsight my text reads quite a bit like that. It was however half ignorant, half frustrated, with many people of my age group with 'professional' careers. So people who are in general not overweight and work in nine-to-five jobs.

Is one hour of lunch really not regulated in the US, i think here in Canada it is, i'm not certain though. I wonder if that's not counterproductive. Working through all day without anything to eat does not sound as if it would make me more efficient.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information