GW-5000-1JF Alignment / Physical Tolerances / Quality
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: GW-5000-1JF Alignment / Physical Tolerances / Quality

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GW-5000-1JF Alignment / Physical Tolerances / Quality

Attached you can see a photo of my GW-5000-1JF, purchased new from a reputable seller in Japan and shipped to USA, manufactured late 2013.

Visual flaws:
    • First, I noticed that the lines at the bottom of the display do not line up (circled at the bottom of the photo). I have searched for other GW-5000-1JF photos on the Internet but I have not found others nearly as off as mine.
    • Second, I noticed that this misalignment makes the P (for PM, circled left) indicator difficult to read when worn on the left wrist.
    • Finally, when taking this photo, I can see the difference in the top right corner (circled) and the top left corner -- but this doesn't bother me as much.

Audible flaw:
    • When pressing the RECEIVING button, a squeak can be heard. I think the button is rubbing on the bezel.

Questions for the forum:

1. Is this considered acceptable for a premium, Japan-made G-Shock?
    2. If I were to send this back to Casio, would they fix it?
    3. If I were to screw open the case, do you think I could fix the internal alignment?

Last edited by inox; February 2nd, 2014 at 01:38.

Re: GW-5000-1JF Alignment / Physical Tolerances / Quality

Looks to me like the module may have been placed into the case a hair crooked. That would account for the squeeky button also. Carefully reseating the module would probably fix all of your issues.

The older squares are notorious for misaligned modules.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    nigelw likes this.

In order to understand the problem, you need to understand how the watch is made. The module sits inside a white plastic retaining piece. The solar panel is taped (yes, taped) with double sided tape (4 small pieces, one on each corner) to the bottom of that retaining piece. The GW-5000, GW-M5610, and GW-T5030 all have the potential to have this problem when the watches are manufactured. NOTE: If yours does NOT have this problem, then you don't need to worry. It won't "develop" the problem later on. The problem is there at the point of manufacture. And yes, it is poor QC.

The module is not usually what is crooked. In every case that I have seen this, it is the solar panel that is crooked. This problem can be fixed like this:

-Open Watch
    -Remove plastic cover
    -Remove module
    -Remove white plastic retaining frame
    -Carefully remove the solar panel from the retaining frame and re-apply it so that it is straight and aligned as it should be.
    -Re-assemble the watch

Should you need to do work on a premium watch? Of course not. Casio is to blame, and I feel your pain.

But to put this in perspective, imagine if... instead of paying $300 and getting this problem, you paid $1500 for a GW-T5030 and it had this problem? That is exactly what happened to me. I was upset and didn't want to talk about it. But since I had experience working on my GW-5000, I decided I would fix it myself. I opened the GW-T5030 and fixed the alignment issue with the solar panel. People thought I was crazy for opening the watch, but they didn't know this is what I was trying to fix.

When working inside the watch, dust will be a major issue, as will fingerprints, so a clean environment and perfect working conditions are necessary. By the time I was done, my GW-T5030 looked even BETTER than a perfect from-factory model, because I used a powerful glass cleaner to clear all factory haze (all G-shocks have this to some extent, but it takes a trained eye to notice it) from the solar panel and the inside of the crystal.

I don't blame you if you don't want to work on it, and I don't blame you for being upset. For the money we pay Casio for these things, they could do better.

NOTE: If it is just the module that is crooked, as Buzzbait says, then your job (if you choose to repair) is MUCH easier.
    Last edited by kung-fusion; February 2nd, 2014 at 02:04.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Kungfusion,

Do you do repairs for other people's G-shocks?
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    Kungfusion,

Do you do repairs for other people's G-shocks?

No, because I always worry I might damage them.

The solar panel is a very delicate part and it can chip or crack easily when you try to remove it from the frame (the sticky tape is strong)
    nigelw likes this.

I had a t5030 with one tiny speck of dust inside the crystal, i thought it was a bummer but not enough to send it back or open up, especially since the backplate was aligned properly from the factory.

Well it's good that my eyes are not as good as they once were! I think these models are the bees knees!

Inox - good luck with your issues I'm sure you'll learn something out of the experience in performing the fix! If anything I really hope the seller makes this right!

@ Kung, pretty shocking that a watch with a 200 run can have such poor quality control. At the same time, some weird synchronicity that the one man who received it is the one man who can fix it.

Thanks alot for the post inox.

i've had the same problem with 3 G-5600 (2 navy blue and 1 white).. i have open the watch but unable to solve the issue. the module cant be moved since it sits on grooves. i think the problem is on the solar panel attachment from the factory. the other problem is the 'haze' or 'cloudy' between the mineral glass and solar module... it looks like the assembling dont clean the material properly when assembling, i have more than 6 g-shock with the issue. (its pretty common with also the GW-5600j) it really bother me.. i know its doesnt harm the performance and durability, its just bother our eyes the perfectionist.

i've fix 3 abit crooked dw-5030, but its fairly easy since the module is floating... i just open the screwback and nudge the module abit and closed it..problem solved now they look perfect and dont have any allignment issue.

my grail is GW-5000-1J... but seeing the issue, i think i'll satisfy my self to just stick with 5030s screwback, since the atomic doesnt work in my country anyway.,,,
    besides,wilth all my unlucky experience with g-5600 (i got 1 perfect and 4 missaligned) .. i'll keep my battery power screwbacks.

the issues of missalignment happend everywhere, analog also got some dial or bezzel or hand missalignment no matter the price and no matter the brand (from seiko to omega)
    i have let go to many watches becouse of these issues.

goodluck inox... sorry i cant help u with your problem, but life is too short to be burried in these issues... hope you find some ways out.
    inox likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    my grail is GW-5000-1J... but seeing the issue, i think i'll satisfy my self to just stick with 5030s screwback, since the atomic doesnt work in my country anyway.,,,
    You can always sync it this way :)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information