GW-5000 buttons suddenly make a "wet" noise. Eh?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Tetsu Tekubi
  • 2 Post By Steelerswit
  • 1 Post By Nokkaelaein

Thread: GW-5000 buttons suddenly make a "wet" noise. Eh?

GW-5000 buttons suddenly make a "wet" noise. Eh?

This is a slightly weird one. I just noticed today that the buttons on my GW-5000 all make a relatively easily heard wet squirt-like sound when pushed. I'm completely sure this wasn't the case before. It's a watch manufactured in September last year, and I got it one month after it came out of the factory.

So, ehmm, I don't know, maybe I'm just writing this to know whether someone has experienced something similar , and... am I right thinking it's really moisture that has somehow gotten inside the watch? I know the GW-5000 buttons are double sealed, so maybe there's moisture in the between space, so to speak, and not inside the actual case?

The strange thing is, though, that I'm totally sure I haven't been wearing this watch in any wet conditions (even washing hands or similar) after the buttons last operated completely noiseless. It's not uncommonly humid in the house, and again, not splashes or anything like that after operating normally previously. Just out of the blue, today reaching for this watch, boom: little rubbery squishy sounds from every button.

If I push a button repeatedly for a while, the sound "wears out" and vanishes for a moment, but letting the watch sit still for a minute brings it back.

Sigh. So, yeah. Squishy squishy?

Re: GW-5000 buttons suddenly make a "wet" noise. Eh?

sounds like (ha!) just the standard factory grease on the button stalks, ive had similar "sticky" noises, it will go away with use. if it was water it would evaporate after a couple hours and would be unlikely to make that kind of noticeable noise. id take noisy, lubed up buttons over dry quiet ones anyday lol
    kenls, Dxnnis, Nokkaelaein and 1 others like this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

GW=Gross Weird

watching to much Pron?

working in a greasy environment?

Vaseline or KY?
    Nokkaelaein and g-fob2 like this.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu Tekubi View Post
    sounds like (ha!) just the standard factory grease on the button stalks, ive had similar "sticky" noises, it will go away with use. if it was water it would evaporate after a couple hours and would be unlikely to make that kind of noticeable noise. id take noisy, lubed up buttons over dry quiet ones anyday lol
    That's quite reassuring, thanks ! This did cross my mind, and hopefully it's exactly that. It just seemed unlikely that it suddenly became audible like that in every button at once, not linked to the frequency of use (the light button gets the least use, the mode button the most, and so on), but hey, on the other hand it might just be gradually reacting to some environmental parameters, and now just happens to be a point where it causes this effect. The watch hasn't been subjected to any greasy substances or other such chemicals, so what ever it is it's just happening naturally to the watch, in normal conditions, as-is.

And Mr. Steeler, haha, when I started this thread I tried to word it carefully not to invite too much of the graphic squirting G-Shock associations , but of course I failed. GW = Gooey Wet, too.
    Steelerswit likes this.

Leave the watch somewhere warm and dry (not hot and humid) for a day out two to dry out and if the buttons still squelch you know it’s not caused by trapped water.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokkaelaein View Post
    That's quite reassuring, thanks ! This did cross my mind, and hopefully it's exactly that. It just seemed unlikely that it suddenly became audible like that in every button at once, not linked to the frequency of use (the light button gets the least use, the mode button the most, and so on), but hey, on the other hand it might just be gradually reacting to some environmental parameters, and now just happens to be a point where it causes this effect. The watch hasn't been subjected to any greasy substances or other such chemicals, so what ever it is it's just happening naturally to the watch, in normal conditions, as-is.

And Mr. Steeler, haha, when I started this thread I tried to word it carefully not to invite too much of the graphic squirting G-Shock associations , but of course I failed. GW = Gooey Wet, too.
    If we are serious all the time, it would get real boring,,,, really fast. We all need a little release sometimes~

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerswit View Post
    If we are serious all the time, it would get real boring,,,, really fast. We all need a little release sometimes~

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator
    seems like those buttons are way ahead of you haha

Quote Originally Posted by Nokkaelaein View Post

if its really doing you a concern, pop the module out and youll be able to see the button stalks moving in and out and exactly when/where the noise is coming from. the other option would be to put it in the sun for an hour or so (or in a cup of hot water) to get it really warm and see if that thins out the grease to quiet it down.

Thread Information