GW-5000 Case / Strap Mods - Anyone have the guts yet?

Thread: GW-5000 Case / Strap Mods - Anyone have the guts yet?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GW-5000 Case / Strap Mods - Anyone have the guts yet?

I was actually thinking about plunking down the change on this one. Every G I've ever had has died with the battery - I'd invariably strip the screw threads out of the plastic case and it would never seal right again after repairing the threads. I'm intrigued at finally owning one that I should never have to open, but if I did (finally) has a proper case back. Plus, the plastic straps were always sweaty and swampy and funky and then would break.

I've admired the Mil-Shock (and DIY variants) with the 5600 series cases. Of course, I could take the easy route with strap adapters, or maybe swap the bracelet from a GW-M5600BC (is that an improvement?) and call it a day. But then the little voice starts talking to me....

Has anyone taken the end mill / center drill / twist drill / reamer / tap to their DLC stainless case yet for the Mil-Shock mod?

Does anyone else get woozy just thinking about it?

Am I nuts coughing up $400 for a G-Shock only to start cutting? (of course I am, I'm just hoping someone else here is just as nuts so I can feel better).

Damned little voice.

Thanks for your insight, as always.

Re: GW-5000 Case / Strap Mods - Anyone have the guts yet?

Why not use the adapters? The case is the same as on the DW-5600E (except for material of course) so the standard adapters should work - no need for cutting or drilling. I wpould never ever start drilling a DLC-coated case on such an expensive piece. However - maybe you can just fit the strap under the springbars - maybe even bend them a little - they are not expensive so I'd rather bend the springbars to make a nylon-strap fit than drill the case.

Greetings, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; December 8th, 2009 at 19:45.
    Cheers
    Sedi

I have the bracelet for the GW-M5600 incomming. That will be it for mime DW-5000.

The DCL coating is VERY thin and VERY hard. Should be hard to work with.

Good luck.
    When you have the patience to watch grass grow, where is the watch for?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, like I said. If I was smart I'd use the adapters and call it a day. When I've seen pictures of G-Shocks on the adapters, it didn't look quite right to me. The watch didn't seem to sit right, etc. But that's just from pictures and it's just me. And I'd always be looking at it wondering what if, and it would bug me.

But you probably have the right idea.

I was really thinking of mounting a set of the PVC bands from CountyComm:
    http://www.countycomm.com/pvc.htm

... rather than a NATO strap. Having solid threaded bars would be ideal. Cutting back 2mm on each side of the strap would be a lot easier, but might weaken the strap slightly.
    Last edited by tomzweifel; December 8th, 2009 at 19:51.

I think the DLC would make the first 0.001mm tough to cut, give or take. The next 2mm shouldn't be affected. So that makes it 99.95% not a problem.

How much did the GW-M5600 bracelet set you back? Let me know how you like it when you get it in and on!

Quote Originally Posted by tomzweifel View Post
    When I've seen pictures of G-Shocks on the adapters, it didn't look quite right to me.
    I remember seeing pictures of a DW-5600E mil-mod where the strap was just fitted under the springbars with no adapter or extra holes or anything - I'll try to find it...

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

I think I found something:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...-shock+dw-5600

Greetings, Sedi
    Cheers
    Sedi

The bracelet was £45.45 from tiktox, should be in this week.
    When you have the patience to watch grass grow, where is the watch for?

Would be kind of a waste for only a 20mm strap, just looks so narrow on it. My wrist is to wide for the adaptors on my 5000 or 5600 but work perfectly for me on a 6600 or 6900. I use a stock 6900 resin strap on my 5600's and 5000's, looks nice and chunky on there and wears much more comfy.
    Last edited by BREAKWATER; December 9th, 2009 at 06:08.
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKWATER View Post
    Would be kind of a waist for only a 20mm strap, just looks so narrow on it. My wrist is to wide for the adaptors on my 5000 or 5600 but work perfectly for me on a 6600 or 6900. I use a stock 6900 resin strap on my 5600's and 5000's, looks nice and chunky on there and wears much more comfy.
    Funny you mentioned it. I agree that the 5xxx look petite on a 20mm strap. The 6xxx's look much more substantial. Significantly so. I was just looking at some pictures of both and it made me reconsider that "body style" instead. I saw a few that were tan on a tan strap with the whole desert motif going and I liked it. The Mudman etc have some nicely built metal cases as well, but I'm not too fond of the clutter - my altitude is always 0, my wrist is always 25C, and I don't really care what the tide is doing. Once you discount those models I'm not fond of what's left. And this whole exercise started on the premise of a metal cased minimalist G-shock, so I'm pretty much back to the GW-5000.

Unless you know of one I'm missing....
    Last edited by tomzweifel; December 9th, 2009 at 00:00.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information