GW-5000 project: update / completion and a warning to those wanting to try
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By kung-fusion

Thread: GW-5000 project: update / completion and a warning to those wanting to try

GW-5000 project: update / completion and a warning to those wanting to try

So my final spare parts arrive for the GW-5000... I posted in an earlier thread how I got all the outer parts, but the inner parts were taking too long to arrive, so I ended up buying a GW-5000 from Japan and planned to keep the outer parts as spares. Well, the inner parts FINALLY arrived (I placed the order months ago). I was happy to find that even though I ordered a "module without movement", a "PCB board" and an "LCD", what they shipped was a complete module (complete with LCD and battery, ticking along at medium charge) and an LCD and a PCB board. So it looks like "module without movement" means complete module, already running. Strange... So now I have a spare LCD and spare PC board.

When following the exploded diagram for assembly, I ran into some problems. The first was with the magnetic strip. I put the first bit of adhesive down,

then the strip,

and then realized that the white sticker was too big to fit. (the #15 piece) What? Why?

Good thing I had a spare GW-5000 on hand, so I opened it and saw that the white sticker is supposed to be folded up around the strip as shown. There is no way I would have guessed to do this if I didn't have a GW-5000 already on hand to look at.

The next problem I encountered was the solar panel. It does not fit perfectly in the slot (it is a little small, so it wiggles around). The little bits of adhesive tape are meant to hold it in place, after assembling it, the panel was a little off, so I re-did it, and did it yet again, and by that time the tape,was losing its stickiness. I hate the idea that Casio uses little bits of tape to hold things together. How does it feel to know you spent hundred of dollars on a watch that is held together with tape?

I am generally opposed to the idea of using adhesive for anything if it can be avoided. I decided to find my own solution. I took a gulfman gasket that I did not need and cut it up. I put the little cylinders of gasket in the gaps between the solar panel and the case. When pressed down by the module, it would hold the solar panel in place.

I sealed everything up and shook it and slapped it hard against my hand. The solar panel does not budge. Charges fine, too. I will wear the one that I assembled and put the other one back in its box. Maybe I will sell it, or just keep it for when the one that I assembled wears out.

Overall I am happy with this project, even if it required a little bit of modding to make it work.

Re: GW-5000 project: update / completion and a warning to those wanting to try

That is just awesome. Nicely done.

When you factored in the cost of all these parts do your project watch end up costing more or less then the factory assembled watch ??

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sspartan View Post
    When you factored in the cost of all these parts do your project watch end up costing more or less then the factory assembled watch ??
    it costs less than the factory assembled watch, but not by much. I wouldn't do this just to save on cost. It was more for the fun of it. total cost, with tax and shipping from pacparts, was a little under $300 for the required parts (not including the extras I ended up getting). Of course, at the currect price of the GW-5000, maybe this is an ideal project for someone who likes to build things and doesn't mind waiting months for parts or having a watch with no warranty.
    Last edited by kung-fusion; November 20th, 2011 at 01:02.

Excellent! Very impressive ... your patience on this project is admirable.

very awesome thread. one of the things i love most about G-Shock culture is the do-it-yourself, no-task-too-difficult mindset.

+1 for the end result pic, very nice shot of what might as well be 2 factory clones :)

:) Very impressed! Well done and thanks for sharing.

So your creature's finally made!
    Always loved when someone is able to build things because the beauty of it in the case something goes wrong, is that you know where to put your hands and fix the glitch.
    Congrats again on your great effort.

cheers.

Nice results and patience. I'm the DIY type as well. Buy from store is always last resort.

While not as far as you went, I would like to get new band and a new face for my gwm5600a-7. Currently looking for parts. Band is not a prob. Looking for face.

Edit: should've been looking for bezel. Found it.
    Last edited by 1Mike; November 20th, 2011 at 16:15.

G-Master you are. I will now look to you when I have modding questions. Thanks for the write-up.

Thread Information