So my final spare parts arrive for the GW-5000... I posted in an earlier thread how I got all the outer parts, but the inner parts were taking too long to arrive, so I ended up buying a GW-5000 from Japan and planned to keep the outer parts as spares. Well, the inner parts FINALLY arrived (I placed the order months ago). I was happy to find that even though I ordered a "module without movement", a "PCB board" and an "LCD", what they shipped was a complete module (complete with LCD and battery, ticking along at medium charge) and an LCD and a PCB board. So it looks like "module without movement" means complete module, already running. Strange... So now I have a spare LCD and spare PC board.
When following the exploded diagram for assembly, I ran into some problems. The first was with the magnetic strip. I put the first bit of adhesive down,
then the strip,
and then realized that the white sticker was too big to fit. (the #15 piece) What? Why?
Good thing I had a spare GW-5000 on hand, so I opened it and saw that the white sticker is supposed to be folded up around the strip as shown. There is no way I would have guessed to do this if I didn't have a GW-5000 already on hand to look at.
The next problem I encountered was the solar panel. It does not fit perfectly in the slot (it is a little small, so it wiggles around). The little bits of adhesive tape are meant to hold it in place, after assembling it, the panel was a little off, so I re-did it, and did it yet again, and by that time the tape,was losing its stickiness. I hate the idea that Casio uses little bits of tape to hold things together. How does it feel to know you spent hundred of dollars on a watch that is held together with tape?
I am generally opposed to the idea of using adhesive for anything if it can be avoided. I decided to find my own solution. I took a gulfman gasket that I did not need and cut it up. I put the little cylinders of gasket in the gaps between the solar panel and the case. When pressed down by the module, it would hold the solar panel in place.
I sealed everything up and shook it and slapped it hard against my hand. The solar panel does not budge. Charges fine, too. I will wear the one that I assembled and put the other one back in its box. Maybe I will sell it, or just keep it for when the one that I assembled wears out.
Overall I am happy with this project, even if it required a little bit of modding to make it work.