GW-5000 Syncing and Accuracy
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: GW-5000 Syncing and Accuracy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GW-5000 Syncing and Accuracy

First off I'll say that I love the feel and look of this watch. The performance however is starting to get on my nerves. It sits on a shelf at night next to my GW-S5600, but they aren't behaving the same. The GW-S5600 with its 4-screw titanium caseback syncs nine times out of ten. The GW-5000 last got a signal on December 2nd of last year. I've gone to Kobe and tried to manually sync it, I tried to catch a signal from the top of the Umeda Sky Building...hell, I'm planning to try to sync it from the plane the next time I fly over Kyushu. It will NOT catch a time signal.

At this point I grab my Orange Monster more often than this Multiband 6 G because it's closer to being correct than the G. That's a little ridiculous. I'm not completely obsessed with accuracy, but I'm nearly 17 seconds fast now.

Is anybody else having this problem with a GW-5000?

Re: GW-5000 Syncing and Accuracy

17 seconds in a span of over 3 months is pretty damn good for a standard quartz. there's nothing wrong with your G (accuracy-wise). Casio's official accuracy constraint is +/- 15 per month. yours seems to be performing at 5 or 6 seconds a month.

As for syncing... I don't really know much about that. It's probably best if your ignore the Atomic and you just do it manually. and by manually, I don't mean what you've been doing for the past few months. I mean adjust and set the time yourself manually. look at another atomic watch/clock and sync the seconds yourself.
    Last edited by G-Junkie; March 9th, 2011 at 06:57.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Junkie View Post
    17 seconds in a span of over 3 months is pretty damn good for a standard quartz. there's nothing wrong with your G (accuracy-wise). Casio's official accuracy constraint is +/- 15 per month. yours seems to be performing at 5 or 6 seconds a month.

As for syncing... I don't really know much about that. It's probably best if your ignore the Atomic and you just do it manually. and by manually, I don't mean what you've been doing for the past few months. I mean adjust and set the time yourself manually. look at another atomic watch/clock and sync the seconds yourself.
    Just did actually. I knew you would say that. I was just hoping for it to perform more like it should and did when I bought it. The only difference between the two watches is the case.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

yeah, the atomic feature is a weird one. Some people here go through all sorts of things to maximize the syncing potential. They sleep with the watch on their wrist because they believe the natural salinity of the human body can improve the reception, they put the watch in a cookie tin overnight, try to find the south window, set it upside-down... lots of effort for a simple sync.

It's not completely a lost cause for your watch, though. I had a watch that didn't sync for half a year.... then all of a sudden, it synced regularly as if there was nothing was wrong from the beginning. By that time, I stopped caring about the syncing and considered it a pleasant bonus.

If you're not that patient, perhaps you could turn off the sync for a week, then turn it back on... maybe that will wake up the little receiver in the watch? Or do like I do with the TV and kick it.
    Last edited by G-Junkie; March 9th, 2011 at 07:24.

Lost cause? A DLC Screwback G? Never. I'd have bought it if it weren't solar OR atomic. I wouldn't have paid 27,000 for it maybe but I'd have wanted it. I'm hoping to move to the US next year. Maybe I'll get a better signal on that frequency.

Incidentally, when I just manually set the seconds by holding the adjust button and cycling to seconds, did I then turn off syncing or will it continue to attempt to sync? I know I'll find out in about nine hours, but just wondering.

if you turned off the syncing, it won't attempt a sync.

Had to dig through the manual. I can set the time manually without turning off syncing. Sounds like the best solution. Maybe I catch a signal in the future, if not, at least I synced it to one that has today so I'm 17 seconds better off than I was.

The first thing to look for is the home city set to Japan or the city of the nearest transmitter. If the home city got changed, then it may be trying to receive on the wrong frequency. All multi-band atomics require the correct home city to be set to receive on the correct frequency.

Bill

I think he got the proper home city correct. he has two watches with the exact same module, one is syncing, the other isn't. He's also mentioned that its last sync was in december. the fact that it synced at all suggests that he's got the proper home city.
    rolexnewb likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information