• 2 Post By aalin13
  • 2 Post By JohnQFord
  • 1 Post By ccm123
  • 2 Post By Ottovonn
  • 3 Post By Time4Playnow

Thread: GW 5000 vs Frogman/Rangeman?

GW 5000 vs Frogman/Rangeman?

Hey,

I've had a GW-5000-1JF for a year or two. It's my first and only G-Shock I've ever owned, and I like it a lot.

Casually looking on Seiya or Chino recently, I had a look at other G shock watches; specifically the Rangeman and Frogman. What are your opinions? Am I missing out on the more modern iterations of the G Shock?

Thanks in advance!
    JohnQFord and Time4Playnow like this.

Re: GW 5000 vs Frogman/Rangeman?

Frogman 1000 atomic model is a peach. I have one that I have fitted with a red rear cover and the ruby rivets. Lovely quality.
    Time4Playnow likes this.

I have all three listed. The GW-5000 is my favourite and it is a very special watch to wear. The frogman is also a DLC screwback, and the button action is a step above other Gs, less mushy and feels better engineered. It is a very high quality piece, only draw back is the size, the lug to lug distance is quite wide

Rangeman is a fun watch to have, doesn't have the quality feel of the other two, but on paper it is the most feature packed G. For me, it is more an outdoors watch, the sensors and the sun rise/set time is really handy when travelling. However, Rangeman is a piece where I would sell when an improved model comes out, as the selling point is the features. Whereas the other two, I'd hold onto even when new models are launched, as they are less about features and more about build quality, giving them a more timeless appeal
    Time4Playnow and MCZK like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by chronowc View Post
    Hey,

I've had a GW-5000-1JF for a year or two. It's my first and only G-Shock I've ever owned, and I like it a lot.

Casually looking on Seiya or Chino recently, I had a look at other G shock watches; specifically the Rangeman and Frogman. What are your opinions? Am I missing out on the more modern iterations of the G Shock?

Thanks in advance!

One of the better sites to go to for info is: http://www.shoppinginjapan.net/gshock-rangeman/

Not for price ... just for ease of navigation of the site when trying to make comparisons & overall model selection.

I'd recommend Rakuten for price.

I have a few Rangemen & a few re-skinned Frogmen. I slap them [one at a time] on a 7" wrist.

I'm not overly concerned with anything but the time/day/date functions, so my opinion is based more on the look & the feel of the watch.

They are my 2 favourite models & I would favour the Frogman just slightly over the Rangeman.

If you're at all thinking of collecting one or the other model, go with the Rangeman. All of the models are still achievable [if you shop carefully] at reasonably affordable prices.

The GWF-1000 Frogman, however, skyrockets in price past the base model & availability is next to non-existent for the most coveted models at extravagant prices.

As far as spec's go ... it's up to you to decide what you need. Here's a side-by-side of the spec's for your own watch & the 2 others. Good luck in choosing.

Name:  SPEC Comparison.JPG
Views: 668
Size:  221.4 KB
    "watchuseek" ... From a lost indigenous dialect ... meaning ... "Bet you can't buy just one !!!"

Both the Rangeman and Frogman are awesome, but I've found the Frogman to be bulky at times. The Rangeman fits better on my wrist, but your results may vary.
    Time4Playnow likes this.
    If you don't think every day is a good day, just try missing one. ~Cavett Robert

I've owned all three -- kept only the GW-5000. I found the Frog and Rangeman (fun watch and I've owned it twice) overall a bit too bulky for me. The 5000 has all I need.

I'm coming on nearly three years of happy ownership. I recommend going for the Frog and Rangeman anyway, just to try them out.

If you like them a lot, keep em all.
    liwang22 and Time4Playnow like this.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Ditto to most of what everyone else said already.

I have both Rangemen and Frogmen, and the GW-5000. The GW-5000 is a different type of G altogether from the other two. The 5000 is quality and simplicity in a G at its best. The Rangeman is much bigger and bulkier than the 5000. While it does not have the screwback case that the 5000 and Frogman have, to me it still feels like a quality piece. IMO the Rangeman has one of the best modules of any G, IF you want more than just the basic features. Not only ABC functions, but also things like a one-touch stopwatch, and the ability to store 30-40 timestamps & other records in the watch, plus sunrise/sunset, etc.

The Frogman is a kind of icon of the g-shock world. Everyone should own a Frogman at least once, IMO. But, the styling and fit/feel isn't for everyone. The GF/GWF-1000 models are very large, & also high quality pieces. The 1000 model has moon phase & tide graph, a dive timer, plus world time and the other standard g-shock features. Plus, it has a DLC screwback case, which is very nice and very strong. I will say that for me at least, sometimes the fit of the 1000 models is not the best for me -- that is, I'm sometimes 'between' holes on the strap somewhat. But my wrist does change a bit in size throughout the day, and the Frog is still comfortable enough to wear.

They are all very nice watches. I guess it depends if you want to expand your g-shock horizons a bit or not. And if you want to spend the money. To me, they are all worth owning. For what it's worth, I wear the Rangeman the most of these 3, followed by the 5000, then the Frogman...

If you decide to go for a Rangeman, IMO best to get one with a positive display. All of the 1000 Frog models have a positive display.
    Last edited by Time4Playnow; January 31st, 2016 at 03:08.
    aalin13, Ottovonn and JohnQFord like this.

I have the GW-5000, the Atomic Frog and a Rangeman. If you like the look of either go for it but you're not missing out.

For me, probably the Frog gets worn most often, because if I want to wear a stupid big lump of resin then I want it to BE a stupid big lump of resin.

I do like to wear the Rangeman out for a run, it's more comfortable than the Frog. The 5000 is nice for doing anything that you might bump your watch while doing and I like the look so it gets worn too.

The last couple of times I've gone on holiday I've brought the Rangeman, if that tells you anything (typically driving holiday through Europe, beaches and mountains).

I wouldn't never compare a frogman to a rangeman - one is a classic with screw-caseback - one is just a regular gshock (all of its features are gimmicks, specially, when everyone has smart phones) - even an old frog 9900 is more precious than a new rangeman

and both of them are bulky, specially when you are used to your 5000

as a big square fan, I'd recommend a riseman G-9200,

Thread Information