GW-5000 whats says you

Thread: GW-5000 whats says you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GW-5000 whats says you

for over 10 years I have been collecting nothing but high end dive watches,i.e. R**lex subs,japan market 8L35 driven marine masters,Breitling SuperOceans,you know the drill,and of course G-Shocks.at 47 I have finally figured out less is more and have been trying to simplify my life in every way.
    here is my question,I have decided to reduce my collection to just one Swiss auto diver,one japanese market auto diver,one MKII homage,one NOS Seiko 6309 vintage diver,and 6 G-Shocks.
    having purchased loads of pieces from seiya and higuchi over 10 years I am drawn to the GW-5000,however it is so close in looks to my GW-5600J is the build quality worth closing the deal on it.I have read all the reviews and know the attributes the 5K has going for it,the spike lee and mirror 1545 although 25th anni screwbacks they are just not my thing,so I picked up a pair of basic first type
    5600E's to smooth me out at W**lmart,friggen Icons.
    like seiya says,simple is best so what do the regs and veterans of this forum think,any help greatly appreciated.

CHEERS
    john

Re: GW-5000 whats says you

I personally have been wanting one for quite a while now, I love the fact that it is a full stainless case with a nice weighted feel to it and especially because the screw back, with the bonus of Atomic time keeping and Tough Solar. Also it has both day and date on the display, Easy decision, you pretty much can't go wrong. I have 5 different 5600 models and love them, being the little brother, but I think the GW-5000 is in the next top 3 G's on my list.
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

I say "GO FOR IT!!!"...You've got 6 slots for G-Shocks, why can't the GW5000 which is the modern technological reincarnation of the DW5000 be part of that group.

Let's see, 6 is enough for: a frogman, riseman, mudman, and gulfman then a 5xxx series square G which if I had the dough like you, would be the GW5000 and lastly a 69xx series G which would be the GW6900 with the composite bracelet.

You've got too much of a big problem there...Can I have one of those watches you want to remove from your collection?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

the gw5000b has worked out great for me. it's a premium price for enthusiasts like us, but hey... not many watches at any price are more or less fully dlc'd. so there is some novelty to it, but in essence it represents the finest execution yet of the classic shape.

"It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

lookin like I will score a pair of smokin aces on mon,GW-5000/GW-5000B.
    I decided to roll the dice and will order em from Seiya-san.
    I like the idea of full on DLC and I am hoping the neg display on the B is comparable to my 7710 trainer,its basically the only reverse LCD that I can easily read and the 5 year batt 77XX series module kicks a**.
    the ISO rated frogs are great but I couldn,t get past the gold caseback of my master blue and the pinkish dial on my mil-version so they got dished out.
    (present G-stable)
    G-7700
    G-7710------------------(keeper)
    G-7710CL(Japan home market)Mil-version/strap
    GW-5600J(----------------------------------(keeper)
    DW-5600E(3)---------------------------------------(keepers)
    DW-9025
    DW-6900(bull bars/stealth)
    DW-5600C(speed)-----------------(keeper)
    G-2310
    G-9000MC-8(orange mud)
    G-2500
    in the oven/GW-5000/5000B
    you guys are fantastic and were a big help,also a big thanks to tom(a-tom-ic)for the B scans,stealthy lookin tight black hole G,real low key and conservative.

CHEERS
    johnny boy

g-7710cl... cool green screen, not sure i've seen that one before.

is your plan to choose a favorite between the gw5000 and gw5000b in real life then flip the runner-up? and if you keep the positive-display gw5000, i'm not sure you would want to use up one of your 'spaces' by also having a gw5600j

hope the order goes well for you. i'm sure it will.

here's a thread with some great gw5000b and non-b pictures.

"It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

The gw-5000 is my work watch and I love it. But I want to add a couple things that I never noticed when researching it.

First, the display digits are small than the gw-5600j my wife has. If you use 24hour time (that's all I use at work), then the leftmost "2" is squished more than the other digits. This is the same on all square g-shocks, but it is still the single biggest let down - it honestly looks like the engineers just ran out of room and weren't even planning ahead.
    Finally the gw-5000 wears smaller than the gw-5600j... it doesn't sit any higher, despite the screwback, and because its band is more supple, it is not as wide from top to bottom and fits narrower to the wrist. My wrist is 7.5" and I feel like this watch is on the small side...

Despite these letdowns I think the gw-5000 is a great watch, and if you like square g's, you will like this one a lot.

I personally think the dlc is more than just a gimmick. When I look at vintage screwbacks on eBay, they all seem to have some slight surface rust on the stainless steel... dlc should mean that the case is still rust free 20 years from now, right?

Chad

great scans a-tom-ic,I am getting pretty worked up about the B,also ninja fishes commentary is very helpful,I realize these gourmet squares are a smidge on the smaller size but I like the idea of added heft due to the full metal jackets these versions sport.
    tom,on that 7710CL these are indeed a tough find,seiya physically went out and sourced her for me after I specifically requested it,great guy.
    they have what is referred to as a neutral display(green background/black digi's)extremly legible,case itself is a mil-shade green with a matching webbed mil-style/color strap with 11 adjustment ringlets,trick piece.

CHEERS
    john

Out of all my watches, the one I wear most of the time is the GW-5000B. It goes with everything. Get it!
    Currently:

Rolex Milgauss 116400GV
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Omega Seamaster 300M ceramic 212.30.41.20.01.003.007.90210.WTF.BBQ.LOL.187.911. 12345
    Omega Seamaster 300M 2254.50.00
    Omega Seamaster 166.002
    Seiko SKX007K2
    Seiko SARB035
    G-Shock
    GMWB5000D-1

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKWATER View Post
    I think the GW-5000 is in the next top 3 G's on my list.
    Hey BREAKWATER, now you have my curiosity up...

Just which models _are_ the top 3 G's on your list?

Cheers...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information