GW-5000B-1JR + Protector

Thread: GW-5000B-1JR + Protector

S15

Wink GW-5000B-1JR + Protector

Hi guys and gals...

Finally got myself a classic Square G Shock recently after reading and checking out the numerous pics and info traded on this wonderful site.

Was gathering all the resources I could before deciding on my 1st ever square G. Eventually, I decided that since I wanted an all black screw back G, a protector would be the ultimate icing on the cake.

I decided to let fate decide...

With the no. of 5000B reducing by the day, I set out to scout for a protector and that if I couldn't find a protector, I would let go idea of buying the 5000B altogether.

Found a brand new protector in an old store, the one and only presumably the last of it's kind...and that's the story so far.

here are the pics

By the way I live in Japan and there is a shop that has stock (Not sure how many) for the 5000B if anyone is interested.

Cheers
    Last edited by S15; June 12th, 2010 at 06:24.

Re: GW-5000B-1JR + Protector

Pretty nice combo~Congrats!

Wear it in good health!
    GLX5600-1
    GW9100-1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I was hoping to use the protector, but at the same time, I dont feel like having the back against the DLC coating on potential marring of the coating.

Welcome to WUS!

Great post. I've never seen that little protector's retail packaging before. Cute!

The GW-5000B is one of my all-time favorites. I'm never selling mine! Though I may agree with you... the wire accessory may detract from the overall look. Though it is unique.
    "It is easier to discover a deficiency in individuals, in states, and in providence, than to see their real import or value." - HEGEL

*SBBN019 and SBBN011 shrouded divers*
    The Spring Drive Landmaster SBDB003 -- My Apollo 17 Speedy Pro -- Shout-out to Konrad Damasko!
    Airwolf and Chronomaster hangin' out -- NATO nuts with DC66 and SBDX001 -- Two deadly Sinns

S15

Quote Originally Posted by eonianaerial View Post
    I was hoping to use the protector, but at the same time, I dont feel like having the back against the DLC coating on potential marring of the coating.
    Well,

I had initial concerns like you but in the end I thought,

a G Shock is meant to be worn like how a car is meant to be driven so I added the protector and use it when I am in shirt and cuffs. My Protrek is just too huge to go under the cuffs...

The protector is actually a genuine DW-5600 protector but when fitted onto the GW-5000B, it does move a little (when nodged only) and catches the groove around the back of the DLC screwback casing.

After wearing it for 2 to 3 odd months, the 4 corners of the protector that came in contact with the shirt cuffs bared the silver metal underneath. The protector did leave a slight scruff mark on the groove of the DLC casing.

But cosmetics aside, the watch served it's purpose to be a daily watch capable of regular use in sun, rain or snow putting up to the common bumps, shocks and scratches and still tells the time correctly or light up at night.

Great watch I would say for the price.

I've never liked the protectors, they seem to spoil the lines of the watch and in the case of a GW5000 B or non B, they appear to damage the DLC coating on the screw back. That's just another reason not to employ them in my book. So thank you sharing your experiences.
    David
    Ω Speedmaster, Explorer 214270, Sub 16610, Seiko Shogun, Pepsi Turtle, PRS-29B
    Steinhart OVM, Citizens: Ray Mears 2 BN0151-09L & BN2017-02E,
    & far too many G-Shocks

Thread Information