The GW-5000SG (with 5600SG review content)
Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By stpete
  • 1 Post By stpete

Thread: The GW-5000SG (with 5600SG review content)

The GW-5000SG (with 5600SG review content)

Over the last week I've been on vacation with the family. First to New York City, then to Ocean City, MD. I chose the GW-5000 (as usual) for the trip. Second day in NYC, I swung by the G-Shock SOHO store. I didn't care for either of the SOHO specific G's so I picked up a DW-5600SG instead. I miss the silver Watch I had in the Krink. Too bad I don't like 6900s because I loved the way that watch looked. OTOH, I don't really like modern 5600s either. But, the plan was that I'd use the resin for my GW-5000 and give the watch body with some other resin to my son. More on that later.

Immediately upon returning to the hotel I discovered my swiss army knife works fine for a bezel swap. So, I made a Todd Jordan looking watch for the rest of the trip. Looks pretty frigging good I've got to say.

The silver resin really glitters in the sunlight. I love the GW-5000 as it was, but it looks even better like this I think.

When I put the black bezel on the SG for storage, my son poo poo'ed the watch and said he didn't want it. I kind of don't blame him. The watch face itself isn't that nice. It's kind of a light gray. It really doesn't look very good in a black bezel or a white bezel. I'll try to get a set of resin from Casio to bring it back to stock and store it away. Is it wrong of me to hope this is a very limited run and I can flip it soon?

As usual, my camera randomly takes excellent and poor pics. The one showing how poor the 5600SG would look in a white bezel didn't turn out well.

Nor did the one where I compare the display to a typical 5600E display. The 5600SG has a really nice shiny display. I think this picture shows it a little, but is a bit washed out.

The even cooler part of the SG display is the backlight. Like the Krink, it is reverse backlight. Parts of this might wind up in something yet. I just have to figure out what glass to put in that screwback case that is currently just storing a module from another project watch for me.

On to the GW-5000SG then. Here's the back. Like other silver resin, it is gray where it doesn't show. Also, the SG resin has a gray keeper. Not as nice as the clear one on the Krink. Would be nice to put one of the metal 30 stars keepers on it.

and ... bam

Looks great. The silver band is much stiffer than the regular GW-5000 band, but that's to be expected. I'm definitely liking the look.

Here's a couple shots where I tried to fart around with lighting to show how well this resin sparkles. Neither turned out great, but they sort of show what I was shooting for. You don't get the color variation that happens in full sunlight though. If you have seen the Krink, it is similar but I think the glitter is finer on this watch. The reflective particles in the paint seemed a little larger on the Krink. So it is a slightly different look in the sunlight. I think it actually pops a little more.

One of my disappointments with the Krink was the durability of the finish. Unlike the Krink, I plan to wear this watch despite the fragile nature of the finish and just go back to black when it starts to look worse for wear. I wore the bezel for a busy week around NYC, in hotel pools, hanging around on the beach and body surfing in the ocean. Only thought given to care was to remove the watch before spraying sunscreen. No scratches yet. That'll change soon I'm sure. Maybe I'll try to resurrect this thread in a year and report on how it's wearing.
    Ottovonn, GShockMe, lvt and 1 others like this.
    Current
    DW-8200MS "Kermit in Smoke" Frogman
    DW-8200F-4 Red Frogman
    GW-200-2 "Navy" Frogman - modded
    DW-5000SP "Bloody Project Team Tough mod"
    DW-9900 Frogman
    DW-5700 with 5600EH crystal "Screwback Eric Haze"
    GW-5000
    Beater G-3110

Re: The GW-5000SG (with 5600SG review content)

Like your naked LV. And your GW of course.

LUW

The black display with the gray resin looks terrific, MUCH better then stock.
    Cheers!
    Luciano

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SheepOnDrugs View Post
    Like your naked LV. And your GW of course.
    Ahhh, the naked LV. Has a few deep scratches. I did my best to restore it and couldn't get any reasonable offers for it. I tried to get a better polish on the crystal and realized they are just too deep. So, it sits in my parts bin as a storage container for the original module for my DW-5000SP (so I can put it back to original if I care to someday). Overall, an expensive set of bullbars.
    SheepOnDrugs likes this.
    Current
    DW-8200MS "Kermit in Smoke" Frogman
    DW-8200F-4 Red Frogman
    GW-200-2 "Navy" Frogman - modded
    DW-5000SP "Bloody Project Team Tough mod"
    DW-9900 Frogman
    DW-5700 with 5600EH crystal "Screwback Eric Haze"
    GW-5000
    Beater G-3110

Thread Information