GW-6900: Brief review
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: GW-6900: Brief review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

GW-6900: Brief review

I've had some quality time with my new GW-6900 now. Very nice watch. At first I thought I wouldn't like it so much but got it because of the module's functions (module 3179). Now, I think it's really cool.

Here's a pic,, the protector is not delivered with the watch:

Looks:
    That was my point of contention. Even though it is based on the classic 6600 round shape, which I also have and like, I didn't like the three eyes. I can live with them now, given that they actually serve a function. It is definitely a big watch and if you have small wrists, like I do, it might look too big for your taste. Somehow I can pull off the big ones alright and this one is no different. Still, it won't fit under a cuff and it is not a great pairing with a suit, IMHO. The dial and bezel markings are discreet and not garish. Well done, Casio!

Comfort:
    Given the size of the watch, very good. In the absolute both the G-7700 and the GW-2500 are better; closer fit and more flexible strap.

Functions:
    Plenty. It has Multiband 6 so it receives all the time signals in each country that has such a service. It is also solar powered and basically won't need a battery. There is a rechargeable battery in there and that should be good for 20+ years unless you put the watch in a box. Even if you have it just laying on a desk it will be good for a very, very long time.

The dual-time functions are always very important to me. It is very nice in that regard because it has some 31 zones and 49 cities + UTC. There is hardly a watch that has more. It even has Kathmandu time (45 minute off-set). Also you can scroll backward and forward through the time zones. The last time zone you had selected in the world-time mode will be shown above the local time when you choose to do so. You will lose the day/date but get the second time zone displayed at one glance. You can choose between 12h and 24h mode and DST is freely selectable for each zone. When you are in actual WT mode you will get the date for the city you selected.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have a time swap function where it swaps between the home time and the second time zone.

But it has the magic light button; a great ergonomic comfort. The light can also be set to stay on for a full 3 seconds which is much better than on other watches where the time is usually too short.

The four other buttons are easy enough to press but not outstandingly easy or comfortable.

It has four alarms and a snooze as many G-Shocks these days. Set on interval these may even be able to wake you up. Timer and stopwatch can both be set for 24h which can be handy when you want to check remaining flight duration and those things. The display is very crisp and easy to read if not as big as that of the 7700 or that of the Seiko SBPG001.

Accuracy:
    Again this is an atomic watch. Should you be in a zone where there is no reception it will run with quartz accuracy. Casio specs that as +/- 15s per month. Mine was about 8 seconds off after around 40 days of not syncing, IIRC. So that would be six seconds per month. Accurate enough for most folks, I'd say. If it syncs you get to the second accuracy, of course.

I bought mine for $85 and I think it is one of the best modules Casio makes. A must have for the G-Shock fan.

Downsides:
    No time swap function.
    Display slightly on the small side.
    Awfully big and thick with the band ripples standing off quite far on a small wrist (over 7" will be OK).

I give it a 9/10.

Till

NB: There is also a nice video review of this model here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...gw-6900+review
    Last edited by tfar; May 8th, 2010 at 05:38. Reason: added sharpk's video review link
    1onehandwill, mitadoc and Ottovonn like this.

Banned

Re: GW-6900: Brief review

Wow this is crazy. You're buying all my watches! We must have similar taste. Refer to the pictures in the other post.

Good choices! I'll read this all tomorrow. Late night 00:28.

Oh right, I mentioned that before(having it) with the accuracy about the GW6900.

Derek
    Last edited by Jollymann; April 28th, 2010 at 09:31.

Banned

Yeah, I noticed we have really similar taste in watches. No wonder, great minds think alike. And these are quite objectively some of the most interesting Gs in the line.

Till

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great looking G.
    I suppose if I had to have only one 6900 this would be this one.
    The bull bars make it look blast proof.

I'm a little surprised you don't care for the 3 eyes.
    Think of them as mag wheels on your hot rod.
    You don't need them, they are there and they look pretty damned cool.

Thanks for the review.
    KISS ALIVE The Tribute

http://www.kissalivethetribute.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroed4x View Post
    Great looking G.
    I suppose if I had to have only one 6900 this would be this one.
    The bull bars make it look blast proof.

I'm a little surprised you don't care for the 3 eyes.
    Think of them as mag wheels on your hot rod.
    You don't need them, they are there and they look pretty damned cool.

Thanks for the review.
    Never much cared for the extra bars. I kind of like to see the little printing anyway and have others see it. Also I always thought that would get in the way of the buttons.

The indicator circles are a kind of a love/hate thing. Personally I like them. Very clear info in them while there is enough space left for the main digital readout with pretty good digit size. I like the secondary nature of the far right one with the 10 click seconds. Not necessary, but visually useful.

D. Jolly

P.S. Blastproof, bombproof.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Jollymann; April 29th, 2010 at 07:04.
    mitadoc likes this.

Banned

Well, at least we disagree on the usefulness of the 10sec sub-dial, even though we have very similar taste in watches, Derek. ;)

I like the bars for the reason Zero mentioned. It also makes me use the extra pair I had and makes the watch a little more special, while I'm never too hot on any dial writing. On this watch the dial markings are OK, though.

Zero, what are mag wheels? I actually took all the markings of my car (2006 GTO) and took the ugly spoiler off, too. I "un-hotrodded" it. But when I have the money I might put a supercharger on it because 400hp are just not enough! Yeehaw!

Till

Fair and honest review~Cheers!

No time swap option? When I press mode the first thing on the 'menu' is world time, and you can easily select the alternate time zone by pressing the buttons on the right. Press the mode button a few times and your back to local time.

Banned

Andy, time swap is not the ability to display dual time. Many Gs have that. Time swap is when you make your second zone the primary zone with a button push. This means the second time zone will be displayed in big digits and it's date will be shown. Also the watch will switch it's antenna to receive signals from that zone if there are any.

Very few models have that feature and it's a great feature to have for the traveler.

Till

Banned

I just added sharpk's nice video review as a link to the original post and will then put it in the review section.

Also the comparison with the GW-5600J1 and the GW-M5600 should be helpful:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=394092

This way relevant things are linked together and easy to find for those researching these models.

Till

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information