GW-6900 Illuminator Button: Paint or Replace?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By jrp316
  • 2 Post By shagam

Thread: GW-6900 Illuminator Button: Paint or Replace?

Question GW-6900 Illuminator Button: Paint or Replace?

Hi all -- I have a GW-6900 project in the works; the donor watch I purchased turned-out to have a worn illuminator button (its plastic is a bit light in color from sun and dry fade...works fine, looks aged). I've looked-over the steps needed to replace the button, and though I'm confident I could mechanically complete the swap, I don't want to risk destroying the water-tightness...if there's another way. I'm considering just painting the button while still connected to the module, but I'm not certain how well standard spray paint will hold-up over time...and I'm not sure which paints might stand a better chance of aging gracefully.

Can anyone who's performed a light-button swap tell me which avenue they'd recommend? I've yet to locate a video of the process, and previous descriptions of the process are not 100% clear on the most successful method (and I'm not 100% clear on which PacParts I might want to order just incase I launch a circlip into the ether).

Thanks in advance -- this is a fun project so I'm not concerned with a little frustration or extra time/cost :)

Re: GW-6900 Illuminator Button: Paint or Replace?

without any picture how can we give you the best suitable advice?

anyway, the surgery is mostly the same as other button surgery, two methods of dealing with e-clip : 1/ zipper bag or 2/ grease
    I prefer 2, it also requires good eyes, steady hands, and a very good tweezer or the real e-clip tool (which most of us don't have money to invest in)

seriously, I like my 6900 light button sanded off the G letter, look shiny and smooth

Quote Originally Posted by shagam View Post
    Can anyone who's performed a light-button swap tell me which avenue they'd recommend? I've yet to locate a video of the process, and previous descriptions of the process are not 100% clear on the most successful method (and I'm not 100% clear on which PacParts I might want to order just incase I launch a circlip into the ether).
    I haven't performed a button swap myself -- I've ordered the parts for one watch, but I'm about to give up and send the watch to someone who DOES know what they're doing!

For your watch:

1) Knowing WHICH GW-6900 you have will probably affect just WHICH light button you want. There are 11 different GW-6900 models, and (at least) seven differently colored light buttons for them. Maybe you'll want to stay with the same color, or if you're ordering a new one, you might want to order a different one? Here's page one of the list: Consumer Electronic Parts and Accessories at PacParts, Inc.

2) If you're buying a new light button, MOST of Casio's other buttons seem to be sold as a "button assembly" which includes the button, spring, gasket(s) and e-clip, all for just $2.00. You might want to call and see if the GW-6900 light button includes all of those pieces as well -- if not, or if you want additional e-clips, they should be the "e-ring (button)" in the parts list, which costs $2.00 all by itself!

Name:  6900 buttons.png
Views: 266
Size:  44.4 KB
    TRSCP likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    anyway, the surgery is mostly the same as other button surgery, two methods of dealing with e-clip : 1/ zipper bag or 2/ grease
    I prefer 2, it also requires good eyes, steady hands, and a very good tweezer or the real e-clip tool (which most of us don't have money to invest in)
    If you don't want to buy the special tool, use a bag to contain your work for sure. A cork work surface or floor mat would be good too to keep parts from falling and bouncing away. Tweezers with an actual grippy surface help as well. There are many tales on this board of those clips getting lost and the resulting wailing and gnashing of teeth caused thereby.

In my personal experience, I had about a 50% (being generous) success rate with the tweezer method. The successful ones were often hard fought for me even then. Once you lose grip on one of those clips and launch it out somewhere, it's pretty much gone. I ended up buying a real e-clip tool for about $45. Expensive, yes...but it saved my sanity and my clips.

The tool in question is a Bergeon #6714 mandril.
    Rocat likes this.

A button swap shouldn't be that hard to do, and yes, grease on some pliers is the BEST method for taking the buggers off. Be sure to order extras from Pacparts or find some cheapy digital watch to salvage them from ;)

The buttons I recently ordered did NOT have the E-Rings with them, which was kind of sad but at the same time, not an issue at all. Just be sure to take your time, find that sweet-spot when pulling them and you should be fine. When installing the new buttons, slap some silicone grease in there too!!! Should be JUST fine as far as water resistance goes. No magical magic in the stock button, it's just the button, a spring, tiny washer and two o-rings. Make sense? :)

So yeah, order a new button! Snag some other parts while you're on Pacparts! Good luck!

Thanks guys!! I was aware of the button assembly on PacParts but wasn't sure what it included/what was needed -- great info for me and others alike, so thank you!

I'm making the following frankenstein (photoshop mockup shown) -- mirrored module from GW6900GW-7 (left), clothes from GW-6900CC-6 (right), to make a custom piece (middle):

Name:  ProjectTransplant.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  195.0 KB

I think I'm going to attempt to paint and clear-coat the existing button; if I don't like the outcome, I'll dive into a button swap.
    TRSCP and Mike K like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shagam View Post
    Thanks guys!! I was aware of the button assembly on PacParts but wasn't sure what it included/what was needed -- great info for me and others alike, so thank you!

I'm making the following frankenstein (photoshop mockup shown) -- mirrored module from GW6900GW-7 (left), clothes from GW-6900CC-6 (right), to make a custom piece (middle):

Name:  ProjectTransplant.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  195.0 KB

I think I'm going to attempt to paint and clear-coat the existing button; if I don't like the outcome, I'll dive into a button swap.
    I must be missing something. Because your middle mod looks like you can just swap the resin on the Panda and be done with it.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

I plan to just swap the bezel and bands, but like my original post said, the G button on the donor GW did not arrive clean & new looking as I would have liked...so while I'm waiting on the purple clothes to be delivered, I wanted to give the illuminator button some restoration (tldr: playing arts and crafts to keep myself from buying more watches).

Thread Information