GW-7900B-1 eBay win with a non charging problem - Ideas?
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: GW-7900B-1 eBay win with a non charging problem - Ideas?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

GW-7900B-1 eBay win with a non charging problem - Ideas?

I decided to bid on this one, even though there could be a chance it might have been a waste of my hard earned English £'s!!

This is the Seller's text from his listing:

"Watch does not charge battery..New battery fitted and.the problem persists. Watch buttons did not function due to low battery mode."

I guess it can't be the wrong type of battery, because with a non rechargeable it would obviously run anyway. So I suppose it's either down to the springs that contact the solar panel being missing or the module being dead?

Anyhow, I only paid £33 for it, (+£12 shipping from the States with the eBay GSP), so not a huge loss if it really is no good.

It'll be a while, but I'll report back when it arrives in a few weeks.

Seller's photos:

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
    A watch is for life, not just for the WRUW thread!

Re: GW-7900B-1 eBay win with a non charging problem - Ideas?

If its the springs that conmect to the solar panel, and he put in a new battery, wouldnt it have fired up like normal? Im guessing it would take at least months before the new batt losses its juice due to a faulty solar connector?

I suggest when you get it, leave it on the brightest window sill in your house for at least a month and forget about it. In my experience, nearly all ails in a 'solar' watch can be cured by a good sun drenching, far more than Casio instructions suggest (Yes, I appreciate that's difficult in the UK LOL).
    CanonMan and soulbridgemedia like this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

donate it to charity and use it as a tax deduction or gambling loss~

it has the tag, so thats proof of purchase.
    CanonMan likes this.
    Call Sign - Wit
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    the benevolent caretaker of a halfway house for recovering G-Shocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kubr1ck View Post
    And the grand rehabilitator strikes again.

So someone got £45 for a std model G which doesn't work? Where do I sign up???

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

Quote Originally Posted by CanonMan View Post
    So someone got £45 for a std model G which doesn't work? Where do I sign up???

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
    That's nothing! I believe that Samsung sold smart phones where the battery exploded all for a price of £600 LOL
    CanonMan and jzoo like this.
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Quote Originally Posted by StephenWatch View Post
    That's nothing! I believe that Samsung sold smart phones where the battery exploded all for a price of £600 LOL
    I heard they are trying to sell said explodey phone again. They rename it note FE and is intended for 3rd world markets.... because yeah, we here in 3rd world countries wont get injured or killed by explosions.
    CanonMan likes this.

Could have had a non-rechargeable battery in there at some point. If I understand it correctly, the watch will run until the battery runs down (a year or two) but it destroys the charging circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by gee_im_shocked View Post
    Could have had a non-rechargeable battery in there at some point. If I understand it correctly, the watch will run until the battery runs down (a year or two) but it destroys the charging circuit.
    Would be interested to know how it 'destroys' the charging circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by gee_im_shocked View Post
    It should be the other way around, where the solar charging circuit destroys the non-rechargeable battery.

Soda, I purchased a GW6900 from the bay a few months back and the seller gave me the same description as your. Watch won't charge, a few buttons don't work, blah blah blah. It turns out that somewhere in the life of the watch, someone decided to replace the rechargeable battery with a non-rechargeable. The non-rechargeable battery leaked an the insides were covered with whatever is inside of the battery. I thought simple, just clean everything up and it should run okay.

The problem was that the charging circuit or solar panel was damaged as well since it wouldn't charge the new CTL1616 that I installed. I ended up going back to a non-rechargeable and everything is running fine now. The battery will have to changed in a few years but we'll see. Since the charging circuit isn't functioning correctly, it shouldn't damage the non-rechargeable battery so I would expect its life to be a little longer. I'll probably flip the watch soon and take a loss on this.
    StephenWatch, xevious and jzoo like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information