WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

gw-9200 barometer

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  georgemason 
#1 · (Edited)
hi

how good/accurate is the barometer on the gw-9200 riseman?

i know the thermometer should be pretty accurate when off the wrist and have heard the altimeter is not very accurate but was wondering how good the barometer is?

thanks

#6 ·
The Baro measures atmospheric pressure so it doesn't matter whether you wear the watch or not.

#5 ·
The Baro and Alti can be re-calibrated if you found them not accurate enough.

#7 ·
Casios in general tend to be really accurate with temp and baro and even compass on equipped models if given enough "off wrist" time. The altimeter's of Protreks and Gshocks alike leave alot to be desired, but, in fairness the altimeter goes by pressure which can change at a moment's notice even if sitting at the same relative altitude for a long time.

That being said, the altimeter casio provides has some moments of sheer brilliance. Case in point: I can leave it on my shelf in my room (at a standard 180 feet above sea-level) and it will register anything from -20 to 400 feet. That makes me sad. But, I took a trip to the coast and the same watch registered +20 feet at the ocean. Keep in mind Casio's work in increments of 20 feet, so it was only off by 1 notch! Likewise, I took a trip to the mountians. We came to a sign that said 5500 feet. The watch read 5480! That's pretty close for a watch that has never had it's altimeter adjusted.

So, bottom line, casio's altimeter is probably the weakest thing going in terms of it's ABCs and watches like the riseman, but, it does have usefulness and moments of amazement that warrant it's use.

#11 ·
thanks nightshift

i had read that the altimeter was not very accurate and seen videos where people said as much,

it was the barometer i was mainly wondering about as it seems to be the main feature of the riseman and is always there for you to look at/check and just wanted to know if it was accurate whether you were wearing it or not, unlike the themometer, which i know is pretty good but only if you haven't been wearing the watch for a while

thanks very much for the alti info man

#9 ·
The altimeter is accurate as long as the atmospheric pressure remains stable.

I once visited a 500m height building, I reset my Riseman at the ground and when I arrived at the building's observatory (officially 384m from the ground), the watch shows 370m, I found the result quite accurate if you take some facts like elapsed time, atm change... into account.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.