GW-9200 Riseman 'Recover' problem

Thread: GW-9200 Riseman 'Recover' problem

GW-9200 Riseman 'Recover' problem

Done a fair bit of searching on this so apologies if it's been covered before.

My GW-9200 has recently developed an issue. All appeared to be working well. Left the watch in a drawer for a few weeks. Took it from the drawer. Charge indicated 'H'. Try the EL, goes to recover (HML flashing). After a few minutes recovers to H. Try the Baro or altimeter, same happens.

Have left it in the sun for a few days (and it's quite sunny here in the UK at the moment). Still does the same. A couple of times it has managed baro readings in the red eye but when you select baro mode back to HML flashing.

Guessing it's a dud. Sadly bought used so I guess that maybe the end of it. Is it worth trying a new battery? Is a repair from Casio UK likely to be economical vs cost of a new Riseman?
    2011-04-08

Re: GW-9200 Riseman 'Recover' problem

Sounds like a battery issue but the battery never went dead? strange
    Of course, a new battery will be cheaper than a new watch. You can do it yourself if you have the right tools.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CASIO-Recharge...4#ht_500wt_947

I have quite a few Solar G's that will only charge with the Power Save feature turned off. When you do this, it should easily power up to "H" in less then 30 minutes of sunlight and stay there. Try that and see if it helps. That is what I had to do to my GW-9200 because I bought it used and it was also on "M".
    Experience is what you end up with when you didn't get what you wanted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by xGGAx View Post
    Sounds like a battery issue but the battery never went dead? strange
    Of course, a new battery will be cheaper than a new watch. You can do it yourself if you have the right tools.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CASIO-Recharge...4#ht_500wt_947
    You are right, probably worth a try. The battery did indeed never drop below H apart from when it went to HML/recover. I saw similar behaviour in a G-5600 I had which was installed with the wrong battery (ie a non-rechargeable one).

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKWATER View Post
    I have quite a few Solar G's that will only charge with the Power Save feature turned off. When you do this, it should easily power up to "H" in less then 30 minutes of sunlight and stay there. Try that and see if it helps. That is what I had to do to my GW-9200 because I bought it used and it was also on "M".
    Really? Seems counter-intuitive. Never noticed this on any of my other Solar Gs. Equally worth a try, the watch is currently outside with PS off waiting for those rays.
    2011-04-08

Switched off PS and left in the sun for a day. No difference.

Swapped a CTL-1616 with a known good cell from another G. All seems well with the riseman now and the donor G shows the same issue, i.e. battery reports H until the EL is pressed when it goes into recover. Fingers crossed it was a duff cell, only time will tell I guess.
    2011-04-08

Faulty CTL1616 batteries are very rare nowadays so i guess your case is pretty unique. I liked your term "donor watch"

Thread Information