GW 9400 Rangeman alternative.
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: GW 9400 Rangeman alternative.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GW 9400 Rangeman alternative.

I love almost everything about the GW 9400 Rangeman. But after some readings here and on other sites and forums I decided not to get one. The lugs problem got me REALLY worried even tho there's few reported problems. I also believe that it's a design flaw. Yeah it's at a very good price now but I'd be very sad if I experience the breaking of lugs on my watch especially because I can't just buy a new one immediately. What are some good ABC watches that are solar powered which can be an alternative to the Rangeman? I'm currently looking at PRG 3500, but since it's also a module 3414 I'm wary about the static electricity resetting the watch. I'm mainly looking for an ABC watch with sunrise/sunset with Ver. 3 triple sensors.

Or if I'd choose to wait, are there some news about incoming new models of Protrek or ABC G-Shocks? I like bulky looking ones like the PRG 240/PAG 240 but I don't wanna go back to the Ver. 2 triple sensors.

PS. Please don't recommend GPR B1000 because it's way out of my reach lol I can't go above $400.

Thanks.

Re: GW 9400 Rangeman alternative.

Buy a Casio PRG270. It has V3 sensors, sunrise/sunset info and is solar but not atomic. This static electricity issue that you speak of is really a non issue. And I've never heard if it happening to a PRG270.

I've had all types of Pathfinders/Pro Treks over the years from a PAG-80 up to a PRW-3500 and the only one that remained was the PRG-270.

Name:  IMG_9959.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  2.22 MB

Name:  P9250041.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  1.34 MB

And if you so choose, it can accept a fabric/velcro strap with no modification other than removing the stock resin straps and buying the correct aftermarket strap for a small amount of money
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/18mm-Morell...item5466ec1abc

Here you go. Directly from Casio on eBay for under $110.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-Pro-T...Condition=1000
    Last edited by Rocat; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:03.
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

GG-B100.
    just no solar.
    memento_mori likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Even though the PRW-3500 has the same module as the PRW-3000, as far as I know only the latter has been susceptible to static reset, based on other threads on f17 and f296. The PRW-3500 is a very nice watch. I bought a PRW-3500-1 for my brother on an Amazon holiday deal. One nice feature of the PRW-3500 over the PRW-3000 is that it can directly accept NATO and Zulu straps, without strap adapters.

Another option is the upgraded PRW-3510, which has the STN display with wider viewing angles.

I think the GW-9400 lug failure issue has been overstated, but the PRW-3500/3510 does have some advantages over the GW-9400. First, the display digits are much larger. Second, the PRW models use the full display for the compass, rather than just the tiny eye of the GW-9400. Third, the PRW models are more compact than the GW-9400.

On the other hand, the GW-9400 does have the one-touch stopwatch, the more complete data record feature, and the ability to replace the resin bezel.
    Servus, Dxnnis and kubr1ck like this.

RJM

Yes, the Casio PRG270 is a great watch that is very rugged and accurate. Lots of them in military and mountaineering.
    Dxnnis likes this.

out of the 50? 100 thousand?? rangers that are out there less then 10 had the "problem". if those are the sort of odds that determine your purchases id be surprised you own anything of value at all! lol

that said, if youre planning on using the sensor functions alot, a protrek is always the better option. bigger, cleaner, clearer display.
    as for the sensor versions, i never really noticed much difference between the 240 and the 270, both were reasonably accurate for casual use. i never felt the need to do a side by side comparison. i like the look of the 240 best so its been the one protrek that has stayed (along with the prg130y) while others have come and gone.
    g-fob2 and kubr1ck like this.
    the aritst formerly known as soulbridgemedia
    Whoisdisdointhissynthe tictypeofalphabetapsychedelicfunkin

IG: soulbridge_media
    IG: thegcollective

Just get a Rangeman. All your worries are silly.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

I forgot to mention that while I also love the look and of the exact model you're wearing, I tried it but it's a bit small for me. I believe the PRG 3500 is slightly wider and thicker. A friend ordered one though. So in the next month I'd be able to ask him about the condition of his watch. Even with my worry about the static electricity this watch is still in my list.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    Even though the PRW-3500 has the same module as the PRW-3000, as far as I know only the latter has been susceptible to static reset, based on other threads on f17 and f296. The PRW-3500 is a very nice watch. I bought a PRW-3500-1 for my brother on an Amazon holiday deal. One nice feature of the PRW-3500 over the PRW-3000 is that it can directly accept NATO and Zulu straps, without strap adapters.

Another option is the upgraded PRW-3510, which has the STN display with wider viewing angles.

I think the GW-9400 lug failure issue has been overstated, but the PRW-3500/3510 does have some advantages over the GW-9400. First, the display digits are much larger. Second, the PRW models use the full display for the compass, rather than just the tiny eye of the GW-9400. Third, the PRW models are more compact than the GW-9400.

On the other hand, the GW-9400 does have the one-touch stopwatch, the more complete data record feature, and the ability to replace the resin bezel.
    Exactly. I'd like to clarify a couple of things though. By saying GW 9400 has "the more complete data record feature" did you mean that the "screenshot" of the Rangeman has more data because there's a lot going on on the screen or did you mean that PRW 3500 doesn't have this feature? And does the PRW 3500 have that feautre where you set a particular bearing? I'm sorry for some newbie questions. I'm really a newbie and I'm getting confused reading about the features on their website and there are very few detailed video reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu Tekubi View Post
    out of the 50? 100 thousand?? rangers that are out there less then 10 had the "problem". if those are the sort of odds that determine your purchases id be surprised you own anything of value at all! lol

that said, if youre planning on using the sensor functions alot, a protrek is always the better option. bigger, cleaner, clearer display.
    as for the sensor versions, i never really noticed much difference between the 240 and the 270, both were reasonably accurate for casual use. i never felt the need to do a side by side comparison. i like the look of the 240 best so its been the one protrek that has stayed (along with the prg130y) while others have come and gone.
    Man you're hurting me with your words. While I do own some things of value, I don't have a lot of money to spend on buying new one/s if ever a watch encounters a problem beyond the warranty. So I tend to go for the watch that doesn't seem to have concerning shortcoming. Yes I believe it's a design flaw since Mudman and Riseman have the same lugs but I don't know anyone who encountered them breaking the way the people who got Rangemen encountered. I'd be fine if the replacement is like $20-50. But the remedy costs the same as the watch itself.
    stevenkelby likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information