Gw-a1000 vs awg100
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SupaPictave

Thread: Gw-a1000 vs awg100

Gw-a1000 vs awg100

When I look at the function of the Gw-a1000 vs awg100 I can't see any difference except the style. Is there anything I'm missing to justify a four to five hundred dollar price difference?

Re: Gw-a1000 vs awg100

Preetty much

Quote Originally Posted by dondulah View Post
    When I look at the function of the Gw-a1000 vs awg100 I can't see any difference except the style. Is there anything I'm missing to justify a four to five hundred dollar price difference?
    In general the basic functions of all G-Shocks are the same.

I believe this is the first time Casio has used the Smart-Access feature in a G-Shock. Below are some details that Casio is using to justify the price difference:

TOKYO, March 7, 2012 — Casio Computer Co., Ltd., announced today the release of the GW-A1000, a new addition to the G-SHOCK line of Gravity Defier aviator concept watches. The new model features Casio’s tough TRIPLE G RESIST construction and “Smart Access” system for smooth, intuitive operation.

The new GW-A1000 is the first G-SHOCK to come with “Smart Access,” which makes operating the watch’s functions smoother than ever with an electronic crown switch and five-motor drive. It offers a wide range of functions that are especially practical for pilots.

With the intuitive method of turning the crown switch, the wearer can select the time in different cities around the world. In addition, with just a simple press of the switch, the wearer can switch between home time and world time, or instantly display Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). Features like these ensure the time information pilots need is only a touch away. Since the hour, minute, and second hands are driven by separate motors, the hands respond quickly when the wearer resets or starts the stopwatch, or switches between different time displays.

At the same time, the “Smart Access” system enables convenient, simple operation of the watch’s wide range of features, including a “fly-back” function that allows the stopwatch to be instantly reset and start during operation as well as instant temperature display at the press of a button.

The GW-A1000 also packs new toughness technology into a new construction called TRIPLE G RESIST which consists of new vibration resistance in addition to resistance to shock and centrifugal force. In order to resist the strong vibrations that occur while handling aircraft controls, a gel-like material has been installed around and behind the watch module to absorb shock. The crown switch, which is the main “Smart Access” control, features a quick-lock for reliable locking and release. The bezel also acts as a guard to help resist shock.

The watchface is designed to look like a cockpit instrument. By incorporating the outer bezel into the case, a broader face has been realized, while still retaining the same case size as previous G-SHOCK Gravity Defier models. Also, there is a luminescent coating on the distinctive extra-wide hands and on the numerals, making the watch easy to read at night. On the back, the TRIPLE G RESIST logo has been engraved on hammered metal, for a solid look.

The watch is also solar-powered and radio-controlled, with automatic time calibration using standard radio waves from six transmitters around the world.
    G-Shocks
    Origins, Master of Gs, Sky Cockpits, G-Lides, Standards, Specials

G-Shock Collaborations
    Maison Martin Margiela, CLOT, [email protected], ICERC, LRG, Subcrew, Turbokolor, Brooklyn Circus, Eric Haze, Marc Aurele, Lo.wer, Stussy, Bape, Hundreds, Dee & Ricky, Krink, Nigel Sylvester, ALife, Parra, In4Mation, Illest, Wu-Tang, One Piece, Akira, Ultraman

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yup... Feisar has pretty much covered it. The GW-A1000 does offer some improvement. The electronic crown and smart access features alone give it the edge. It is probably also the better looking though this can be subjective. However, whether it justifies the 400-500 price difference is a question only you can answer.

If you are looking for an opinion, well IMHO the answer is "yes" because I never liked the AWG-100 - but that's personal. Anyway, the AWG-100 is ana-digi if I am not mistaken. The GW-A1000 is all analogue. If you are looking for an analogue display there are others you can consider and I think the GW-3500 and GW-3000 should make the short-list. There is also the GW-4000 but its only a different form factor from the GW-3000. No real difference functionality wise.

If you are after a G-Shock with lots of functions, buy an all digital G. Frankly, they are the quintessential G-Shock and offer much more...

One G-Shock is rarely enough anyway, so whatever you buy now you'll probably end up with another later. Just get what you like and if spending less makes you happier - do that.

The A1000 si no better than any other G-Shock, actually it has less functions than many (only one alarm, 60min timer, 120min stopwatch).
    But using it is quite an experience, it's simply the best full analog G-Shock and probably the cheapest Smart Access watch in the Casio catalog.

Is the price justified ? I don't think it's the right question. You can get the time anywhere (computer, phone, Tv, there's a clock in every car, etc.), so a watch is basically a useless thing nowadays, even the cheapest ones. Is the price of a Rolex Submariner justified ? Of course not, 7000€/$ for a fragile mechanical watch that only displays time and date, that's mental. People continue to buy it though. And when you own one, it's a lifetime keeper. Can't really explain why, let's call it "passion". Some people can't understand, and I respect that.

I did buy a A1000 because I don't really like digital watches, I'm an analog guy, I don't like to read time on a screen. And I still wanted a G-Shock. I already own a GW-3500, love it, but it's an hybrid. The 3000 and 4000 don't really satisfy me (tiny subdials, 24min stopwatch...). So the A1000 is a no-brainer. In the end, the price is not that important, as long as your banker (and your wife too) doesn't get too mad.
    Jamiemn likes this.

These are all good posts thank you.

Thread Information