GW-M5610 new purchase and comparisons to DW-5600E
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: GW-M5610 new purchase and comparisons to DW-5600E

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I've owned a DW-5600E for about a year now, and I've put it to good use. I've worn it in the pool, building furniture, moving day, yard work, scorching heat, bitter cold, etc. It was cheap enough that I don't really think twice about putting it on when things are about to get rough.

I traveled a few times last year, and my DW did serve double duty as a travel watch since it's easier to change the hours on it than on my analog watches. The minor nuisance of changing the time while flying, though, gave me the itch for a proper world time function. I'm also OCD about accuracy and this one is a little bit fast. Not enough to be a problem, but enough to make me want to sync it every few weeks. The display also seems less crisp when viewed at an angle. I started to want something that looked and felt not quite as cheap.

So I got impulsive on Amazon the other day and ordered the GW. This seemed like the solution to all my hang-ups with the DW.

I'll be honest... I'm not in love with it like I'd hoped. Maybe I'm more critical because I paid so much more for it.

The backlight is not as bright as the DW. It also doesn't last as long, so I find myself pressing it multiple times. I tried enabling the auto-EL function, but it was so awkward to get it to trigger, that I just turned it back off. The beep is also not as loud as on the DW. The mute function is nice, though. I suppose these are all a result of it being solar powered and cutting down on power usage.

The radio time sync was one of the main selling points for me, and it seems to work. It's managed to sync itself automatically both nights I've had it. I live in the southeast US, so pretty far from Ft. Collins. I tried syncing it manually multiple times through out the day and night just to see the process and couldn't get it to work. I know the auto sync really should be enough, but I'd feel more confident about it if I could see it happen.

As for the world time function, changing the time zone is super easy, which is nice. However, I was disappointed that the time shown for many cities, mainly in Europe, was incorrect because they didn't account for DST. I had to manually set DST for the cities that have it, and I suspect I'll also have to turn it off when they change back. This means I still have to check the world time against the internet which doesn't make it nearly as useful as I'd hoped.

Finally, I guess it's just a personal hang-up I have with it. I think it's very well made, and it looks great. I think the milled backplate is a nice touch, and I actually like that it is slightly smaller than the DW. However, and maybe it's because it's more expensive, but I just don't feel as confident wearing it in rough situations as I do with the DW. It never occurred to me that I'd be more precious with the new one. I feel like I'd still reach for the DW instead. It doesn't help that all the pictures I've seen of astronauts, pilots, firefighters, etc. being awesome while wearing their G-Shocks, all feature the DW. I feel like the DW is the real thing, while the GW is a more fancy pretender.

Like I said... purely a personal impression, and I'm sure many of you disagree, but it's my truth and I figured I'd put it out there as a warning for those of you who are considering doing something similar. I guess I could keep both, and use them for different purposes, but they're so similar that it just seems redundant to do that. I want "the one" G-Shock. I thought the GW would replace the DW, but I just don't know if I can do that anymore. Maybe I was more attached to the DW than I realized.

As a comparison, I also have an SKX, and I'd never consider getting a higher end Seiko diver for pretty much the same reasons. I could never "upgrade" it. I already knew that about myself and the SKX. For some reason, I didn't think to apply that to my G-Shock as well, though, before buying this one. I guess I just like basic things.

I might give it a week or so before I make a decision on returning the GW. We'll see.
    Casio DW5600E-1V; Invicta 9094OB; Rodina R005; Sea-Gull(?) 1963; Seiko SARB033, SKX007, SSB033; Timex: T20041, T2H281, TW2R38000; Vostok 420059

Re: GW-M5610 new purchase and comparisons to DW-5600E

Personally I didn’t even consider the DW but if you’d be happier with a DW then you know what to do.
    gav1230 and Dxnnis like this.

For better world time capability, maybe one of the new Bluetooth squares would be better for you. My understanding is that the selected world time cities can be managed from the app, which presumably knows if DST is in effect or not for each city.

The Bluetooth squares also show the current time in other modes, something the GW-M5610 doesn't do. I believe they also have a longer backlight duration.

One thing the Bluetooth squares won't provide for you is a better beater watch than your current DW-5600.
    Facelessman likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think I remember reading that the signal is strongest around 2 am. My GW5000 syncs every night but I can never get it to sync manually during the day. I live in South Louisiana for reference.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    babyivan likes this.

Module only speaking. I couldn't pick between 3229 in dw-5600 and 3159 in gw... But I would definitely pick 3461 in the new Bluetooth gw-b5600 over those two. Light duration is adjustable, long and strong with dimmer effect. Current time on stw and cdt (which came be adjusted by second increment). Not to mention Bluetooth capability which I find very handy. I also have positive experience with an app

Edit: In practice I couldn't pick just one so I keep them all
    Last edited by Facelessman; 2 Weeks Ago at 20:38.
    GaryK30, babyivan and Dxnnis like this.

I had the opposite experience. Loved the 5610. Then moved up to a GW-5000. Sold the dw5600 and gwm5610
    Dxnnis likes this.

So... it's growing on me.

I found myself wanting to wear it yesterday and today. I watched the time sync as it happened last night. Apparently the signal is stronger around that time because it worked with no problem the last few nights in a row despite not needing to purposely place it somewhere. I also watched the solar charge move from M to H and stay there the rest of the day. I feel like seeing those features actually working may have boosted my confidence in it.

I'm honestly not interested in the Bluetooth feature. Today's computer and smartphone technology is designed to be disposable, which is not what I want my watches to be. Bluetooth will likely be replaced by something else in a decade or so. I want watches that will outlast me.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like the GW will be more useful in my real life than the DW. Yeah it's not flight qualified by NASA, but it's still a pretty fascinating piece of tech. Still not sure if I'll keep both or not. We'll see.
    Dxnnis and kenls like this.
    Casio DW5600E-1V; Invicta 9094OB; Rodina R005; Sea-Gull(?) 1963; Seiko SARB033, SKX007, SSB033; Timex: T20041, T2H281, TW2R38000; Vostok 420059

The value proposition of the vanilla DW-5600 at $40 really is incredible.

My first G was a G-7700, because although it costs a bit more (between $70 and $80, so almost double), the module is tremendously full-featured.

As I learned more about G-shocks, I found out how easy and cheap it can be to replace the rubber bezel and band. It really changed how I think about them. When I shelled out for a DW-5035 screwback, it was with the knowledge that I can replace the bezel and crystal for about $10 each, or the strap for about $50, so even though it’s not a cheap watch, I don’t have to baby it.

The best place to get these parts in volume is from suppliers like PacParts — with a large enough order to qualify for free shipping — but right now you can get a bezel and strap for a GW-M5610 for $25 shipped from eBay. Once you’ve got those in a drawer, you always have the option to bring the watch back to factory fresh.
    Dxnnis likes this.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

A atomic watch is a must have for every collector as a time reference for the whole collection!
    An i feel your concerns about wearing expensive time pieces in tough environments.
    I prefer cheaper G-Shocks myself, too.
    Everything over 150$ tends to be a shelf queen here, too!

Quote Originally Posted by MrDisco99 View Post
    So... it's growing on me.

I found myself wanting to wear it yesterday and today. I watched the time sync as it happened last night. Apparently the signal is stronger around that time because it worked with no problem the last few nights in a row despite not needing to purposely place it somewhere. I also watched the solar charge move from M to H and stay there the rest of the day. I feel like seeing those features actually working may have boosted my confidence in it.

I'm honestly not interested in the Bluetooth feature. Today's computer and smartphone technology is designed to be disposable, which is not what I want my watches to be. Bluetooth will likely be replaced by something else in a decade or so. I want watches that will outlast me.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like the GW will be more useful in my real life than the DW. Yeah it's not flight qualified by NASA, but it's still a pretty fascinating piece of tech. Still not sure if I'll keep both or not. We'll see.
    Dxnnis, zack20cb and kenls like this.
    You see no pictures in my post?
    Photobucket decided to lock my pics behind a 40$/month prescription service.
    I used their services since 2009 so the most of my old threads have Photobucket pics inside.
    If you stumble across one of those threads and want to see the pic, PM me and i will re-attach it.
    What can we learn from all the lost information?
    1. never trust cloud services
    2. always keep control of your data

My 5610 is one of my most prized possessions and my most worn watch. I have no upcoming space flights planned so it not being NASA approved is not hurting me at the moment. I do love getting a little kiss from Colorado each night while I sleep and I enjoy knowing I am in perfect time and synced with all my other MB6 wearing Gshock friends.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information