GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and mods - Page 3
Like Tree258Likes

Thread: GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and mods

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and

Quote Originally Posted by kevio View Post
    I should correct the configuration. It's actually the bezel from the GWM5610BC and not the normal GWM5610. The BC has darker letters, which I feel goes better with the graphics on this watch's crystal. Today, it's using the GW5000 strap. Soft, supple and comfortable.

I used the GW-M5610-1B bezel on one of my GLX-5600-1 units. I think it's the same bezel as that on the GW-M5610BC-1. I like the more subdued lettering.

Name:  GLX-5600-1 with GW-M5610-1B bezel & GW-5000 strap (P1230617).JPG
Views: 443
Size:  1.28 MB

Re: GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    Sometimes I see squares on f29 with the lugs all chewed up due to careless strap changes.

I find the squares to be harder than most other Gs on which to change the strap. It requires a good quality spring bar tool and some patience. Last time I did it, I put some small pieces of painter's tape on the visible part of the lugs to minimize scratching and scraping. I usually find putting the spring bars in more difficult than removing them. Sometimes the center tube on the spring bar is moved too far over on the the side of the spring bar I'm putting in last, preventing it from compressing enough. When this happens, I start over and move the spring bar farther in the other direction and try again.
    Thanks, Gary, for the great, detailed advice. I'll try covering the lugs with painter's tape and the tip about dealing with the spring bar will likely be very useful. The last time I swapped straps on a resin square, I struggled a little and easily scratched the lug. I also wondered if swapping straps often would widen the lug holes.

I'll try not to force it and keep the lugs protected. Do you have a recommended spring bar tool? I usually use a Burgeon 6767.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    Thanks, Gary, for the great, detailed advice. I'll try covering the lugs with painter's tape and the tip about dealing with the spring bar will likely be very useful. The last time I swapped straps on a resin square, I struggled a little and easily scratched the lug. I also wondered if swapping straps often would widen the lug holes.

I'll try not to force it and keep the lugs protected. Do you have a recommended spring bar tool? I usually use a Burgeon 6767.
    I'm using an Otto Frei FB-504, which is an unlabelled Bergeon tool. I find the 1.2mm tip works best. The 3mm tip is just too big to get into the tiny space on a square, let alone see what you're doing. I wish Bergeon made a 1.8mm or 2mm tip.

As I recall, kevio is a square spring bar remover/replacer expert. Hopefully he'll weigh in as well.
    Ottovonn likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One more thing. Make sure you push the spring bar tips fully into the lug holes. On resin-cased watches, the spring bar tips don't always seem to snap into place fully, as they usually do on metal-cased watches.
    Ottovonn and memento_mori like this.

Damn, that looks really nice. Definitely going to give that configuration a shot. I ordered a regular bezel; I'll see how it looks with the 5000 strap.

Do you find that swapping straps regularly on a resin cased model degrades the lug holes? It's always been a fear of mine -- I think it's irrational but I need some reassurance lol
    I think I’ve changed the straps on mine at least 20 times now and no signs of enlarged lug holes or damage.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    I'm using an Otto Frei FB-504, which is an unlabelled Bergeon tool. I find the 1.2mm tip works best. The 3mm tip is just too big to get into the tiny space on a square, let alone see what you're doing. I wish Bergeon made a 1.8mm or 2mm tip.

As I recall, kevio is a square spring bar remover/replacer expert. Hopefully he'll weigh in as well.
    Thanks for the kind words Gary. I’m certainly no expert but I have a method of installing the spring bars that works really well for me and is relatively fast once you get the hang of it. I’ll have to put together a quick tutorial tomorrow. The tool that I use is one that TikTox shipped with the GWM5610BC combi bracelet. It works better than the Bergeon knock off I was previously using as the prongs on the fork are longer and can grab onto the shoulders of the spring bar tip better.

I’ll share a link to the thread after I post it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by kevio View Post
    I think I’ve changed the straps on mine at least 20 times now and no signs of enlarged lug holes or damage.
    What's about changing bezels?
    I feel much more concerned about screws going in and out of plastic lugs. Not sure how long thread will hold up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As long as you use restraint when reinstalling the bezel screws, you should be fine. Once the screw feels like it has good engagement and is finger tight, I'd stop there. No reason to go gorilla on the screw as you'll just strip the screw hole.
    acadian likes this.

Are we taking about tools???

I use these two spring bar tools. A Bergeon and Baughblabs spring bar tool from my friend Robert. I really like the extra grip I get with the blabs.

I’ve also never really had a problem installing and removing spring bars on my squares.

As for the bezel screws. It’s imperative that you use good quality bits/drivers/screwdrivers. I swear by Wiha tools/bits.

Name:  IMG_7877.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  872.8 KB

My little evening man cave session last night

Name:  IMG_7876.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  757.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! Wiha is my favorite precision tool brand! Having a good beer helps too.

Here's the link to a post I just put together describing the process that I use.

Quick Spring Bar Install Tutorial

Does anyone wear this reference with the stock bezel and strap??

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information