GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and mods - Page 4
Like Tree258Likes

Thread: GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and mods

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Re: GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and

Quote Originally Posted by kevio View Post
    Yes! Wiha is my favorite precision tool brand! Having a good beer helps too.

Here's the link to a post I just put together describing the process that I use.

Quick Spring Bar Install Tutorial
    @kevio, I might order one of those Wiha tools in case I need to do a bezel change. Happen to know what size to order for those screws? (Only two I have so far are a 5610 and 6900.) Thanks for your help!
    acadian likes this.

Re: GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and

Quote Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
    Does anyone wear this reference with the stock bezel and strap??
    I'm currently wearing mine stock, but I want to see whether I'd like the modified look with standard bezel and soft GW-5000 strap. I have a feeling that most long-term owners tend to modify their S5600s to either preserve the stock strap or because they prefer a more subdued square look.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by Sir-Guy View Post
    @kevio, I might order one of those Wiha tools in case I need to do a bezel change. Happen to know what size to order for those screws? (Only two I have so far are a 5610 and 6900.) Thanks for your help!
    For the G-Shocks I work on (mostly squares) I can get by with these following bits/drivers:
    PH 00
    PH 000
    Slotted 0.4 x 2.0
    Sir-Guy, kevio and memento_mori like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by acadian View Post
    For the G-Shocks I work on (mostly squares) I can get by with these following bits/drivers:
    PH 00
    PH 000
    Slotted 0.4 x 2.0
    Great, thanks so much. :D

Should I regret getting the gw5000 instead of GW-S5600 as my only watch (for the near future at least) ?

I have no desire to get the 5000 at this point now that I have my subdued S5600

Quote Originally Posted by acadian View Post
    PH 00
    PH 000
    Slotted 0.4 x 2.0
    I prefer the slightly larger PH0x50. The head is slightly larger and feels like it gets better engagement with the screw head than the PH00x40 but honestly, you can't go wrong with either one.

Name:  IMG_9304_01.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  86.1 KB
    GaryK30 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    I'm currently wearing mine stock, but I want to see whether I'd like the modified look with standard bezel and soft GW-5000 strap. I have a feeling that most long-term owners tend to modify their S5600s to either preserve the stock strap or because they prefer a more subdued square look.
    Here's mine on stock strap and bezel but Ottovonn is correct. The majority of the time, my S5600 is on a matte black strap and bezel so that I can preserve the stock bezel and strap. Replacement cost for the strap is over half the price of the watch!

Quote Originally Posted by DougNg View Post
    I have no desire to get the 5000 at this point now that I have my subdued S5600
    Although they both have the same functionality, I'm still partially drawn to the 5000. I don't have a strong desire to acquire another one as I find the S5600 is much more comfortable to wear but something about the 5000 still pulls on my heartstrings. There's something about the DLC case that the nerd in me oohs and aahs over.
    Last edited by kevio; May 18th, 2018 at 09:22.
    GaryK30, Ottovonn, acadian and 1 others like this.

Off Topic post Re: GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and

So, the bezel (m5610) I ordered arrived and I had a spare 5000 strap lying around, so using Kevio's tutorial, I was able to install the strap with ease. The advice about guiding the spring bar tip back into lug hole was very useful. I even applied a GW-5000 crystal protector, which I've added to most of my squares, to the S5600. It's not a perfect fit since the crystal of the S5600 has slightly different dimensions compared to the 5000 and 5600 models.

It's odd, but I think I miss the carbon strap already.

I love the look of this subtle S5600, but I may return to the stock look soon. I strangely enough liked the way the carbon strap looked and felt.
    The 5000 strap is comfortable though, so I'm torn.

That said, swapping the bezel and strap shaved off 3 grams, making it even lighter!

Name:  S56000custom.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  71.5 KB

Name:  s5600customweight.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  99.6 KB

Thanks again, Kevio, for the strap changing instructions!
    Last edited by Ottovonn; May 19th, 2018 at 21:50.
    GaryK30, kevio, acadian and 2 others like this.

Otto

Welp, that was short-lived. The carbon strap, IMO, has a better feeling texture on the wrist than a brand new GW-5000 strap. I liked the smoother feel of the carbon strap's inner texture compared to the much more rubbery feel of the 5000. I decided to go for a compromise look by forgoing the jelly bezel and keeping the 5610 bezel.

Name:  customcromposie2.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:  customcromposie.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  74.2 KB

It's a little weird looking, but I like it LOL
    GaryK30, kevio, acadian and 2 others like this.

Otto

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information