GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and mods
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and mods

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Off Topic post GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and mods

My unexpected new love -- despite picking up two GMW squares -- is the carbon fiber square, the GW-S5600!

I resisted buying it for years, but when my sister was in Japan, I asked her to pick one up for me. I finally got it last weekend.
    My expectations initially set somewhat low, I put it on and felt magic.

I've been wearing it whenever I can. As many others have said, the watch disappears on the wrist because of its lightness -- a whopping 45 grams.
    I like wearing it at home and while working out. It even passed the sleeping test, a rigorous, time consuming procedure that involves me comfortably wearing the watch to bed.
    The only other watch that passed was the GW-5000

I considered swapping out the carbon fiber strap for a spare 5000 strap I have lying around, but I may keep the watch stock.
    The glossiness is on the subtle side and sets it apart from my GW-5000.
    The strap is also comfortable despite being on the stiffer side: the underside is padded with a soft, rubbery texture.
    That said, on my 6.5" wrists, the strap is on the longer side, resulting in a little excess strap.

And similar to the 5000, I appreciate the materials that went into the construction of this watch: the use of titanium in the back plate and buttons (?) to reduce weight, as well as the carbon fiber insert used in the strap to reinforce it.

This watch, I think, lives in the shadow of its brother, the much beloved GW-5000. But the s5600 has a lot going for it.
    I think it's a must-have for square fans, even with the current frenzy for full metal squares.

So, while this watch has been around for years, what have your experiences been like with this watch? Post up S5600 mods/pics as well.

Name:  s5600.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  S5600.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  22.2 KB
    Last edited by Ottovonn; May 15th, 2018 at 16:33. Reason: grammar
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Re: GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and

I am a fan of this reference. Haven't tried this one yet but I'm kicking the tires.
    acadian and Ottovonn like this.

Re: GW-S5600-1JF "Featherlight Square" Appreciation thread! Please share user experiences, pics and

I have looked at this one before and almost bought it. But thereís one thing holding me back. The c/f strap... Iím thinking it is probably kinda stiff, like the strap was on my DW-5030D. Iím not a fan of straps that are stiff like that. If it were more like the c/f straps on some of the Protreks, or even the GPR-B1000, Iíd be up for it.

Great looking watch, though!!
    kcohS-G and Ottovonn like this.
    Casio G-shock
    MRG-G1000B-1ADR, MTG-B1000TF-1AJR, GMW-B5000TCM-1, GMW-B5000TFC-1, GMW-B5000D-1, GMW-B5000GD-9, GMW-B5000V-1, GMW-B5000G-1, GPR-B1000-1, GPR-B1000-1B, GWG-1000-1A, GW-9400-1, GW-9400DCJ-1, GW-9400BTJ-8, GW-9401KJ-3JR, GW-5000-1JF, GW-B5600FB-4JR, GW-B5600HR-1, GW-B5600BC-1B, GXW-56BB-1JF, GXW-56-1BJF, GW-3000M-4A, DW-5035D-1B, DW-5600BB (x2), DW-5600E (x2), DW-5600EG-9V, DW-5600CL-1, GW-M5610TR-7JF, DW-5600MS, GLS-5600CL-1, GLS-5600CL-3, DW-6930, GA-100MM-8A, G100BB-1A, GLS-6900-9JF, G-8900SC, GD-350-1B, GD-400-9CS, DW-6900MS, GD-120CM-4, GD-X6900CM-5, GLS-8900CM-2, GW-002KA.
    Casio Protrek/Pathfinder
    PAG-240B-2, PRW-2500R-1, PRW-3100FC-1JF, PRX-8000T-7AJF.
    Casio AE-1200 (x2)
    Casio W217H-1A
    MDV106-1A
    MTD1080-7A

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

So seems some folks don't like the band, but quite a few maintain the watch "disappears" on wrist it's so light and comfortable.

I'm one of those that the watch disappears on my wrist but is even more comfortable is when it's on the GW5000 strap.

It's even really comfortable when it's on a combi bracelet.

Wore my S5600 all night and day, it is a wonderful watch on the OEM CF strap. And it was a fair deal off f/29 pre-owned.

The new combi bracelet I got went on the new DW-5750E.

I had the 30th annv square with the carbon strap and didn't find it uncomfortable. It's very light anyway even though it is more stiff. I personally didn't like a plain resin strap on it as I didn't think it matched well with the jelly bezel but that's just a cosmetic preference.
    The S5600 is a great square, like all non screwbacks it's very light. If that's your preference you can't go wrong. The chromes and screwbacks have a different wrist feel/presence. Some like one or the other, some like both.

Quote Originally Posted by Time4Playnow View Post
    I have looked at this one before and almost bought it. But thereís one thing holding me back. The c/f strap... Iím thinking it is probably kinda stiff, like the strap was on my DW-5030D. Iím not a fan of straps that are stiff like that. If it were more like the c/f straps on some of the Protreks, or even the GPR-B1000, Iíd be up for it.

Great looking watch, though!!
    I had similar reservations because of the strap. The strap is on the stiffer side, but it bends easily and feels pretty comfy. There's a slight rubbery inner-strap that helps. I think that this model was one of the earliest G-Shocks to use carbon fiber. I'm not sure on that though.

Thanks! I think it's pretty cool looking too.

Quote Originally Posted by kevio View Post
    I'm one of those that the watch disappears on my wrist but is even more comfortable is when it's on the GW5000 strap.

It's even really comfortable when it's on a combi bracelet.

These are some awesome mods, Kevio! I especially like the all-white look. I have a combi bracelet lying around. I haven't thought about trying it on the s5600. Which is your preferred layout? 5600 bezel and 5000 strap?

Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    I had the 30th annv square with the carbon strap and didn't find it uncomfortable. It's very light anyway even though it is more stiff. I personally didn't like a plain resin strap on it as I didn't think it matched well with the jelly bezel but that's just a cosmetic preference.
    The S5600 is a great square, like all non screwbacks it's very light. If that's your preference you can't go wrong. The chromes and screwbacks have a different wrist feel/presence. Some like one or the other, some like both.
    If I were to swap out the strap, I'd need to swap the bezel too. The transparent bezel would clash with the regular one. I like either

I agree that the chromes and screwbacks have a different feeling on the wrist -- still comfortable despite the weight.

Otto

Great post friend (=
    How do you feel about the display vs GW-5000?
    It looks sharper in videos I have seen, almost as good as STN... But obviously I never saw it in real life so can't know for sure.
    Ottovonn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watchw View Post
    Great post friend (=
    How do you feel about the display vs GW-5000?
    It looks sharper in videos I have seen, almost as good as STN... But obviously I never saw it in real life so can't know for sure.
    Thanks, watchw!

Seeing it up close, the s5600's display is slightly sharper than the GW-5000. I think it's because the module may be closer to the crystal. It's another reason why I'm loving the carbon square. The digits are pretty close to the new GMW models in clarity and crispness.

So, I took another look at them. I think the GW-5000 has great contrast when viewed from the left, but loses some sharpness when viewed from the right. The s5600 is similar, but appears slightly sharper than the 5000 when viewed directly. It's a subtle, but noticeable difference. It's also hard to capture the difference in photo because of the light source location.

Name:  GW5000vss5600.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  144.7 KB
    Last edited by Ottovonn; May 16th, 2018 at 04:08. Reason: added image
    khbk, kevio, acadian and 1 others like this.

Otto

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information