GW-S5600B-1JF Carbon Fiber short review

Thread: GW-S5600B-1JF Carbon Fiber short review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GW-S5600B-1JF Carbon Fiber short review

I've had the watch over a week and here are my views on the carbon fiber G (negative display);

Module The module number is 3159 with the following features;
    World time with 48 cities and UTC. Four alarms and a snooze along with an optional hourly signal. Twenty four hour stopwatch. Twenty four hour countdown timer, adjustable by the minute or hour.

Multi-Band Six which means it syncs with six atomic clock radio siganls in the Northern hemisphere. Makes it accurate over a large chunk of the globe. If it doesn't sync, it loses and average of 15 seconds a month. Tough solar as well, so no battery changes or maintenance for the forseeable future.

All around great package with useful functions. In the time mode, day, date and time are displayed along with info. about the syncing. Time is not displayed in other modes, which is a minor pain.

Case A soft, rubbery plastic case with a slight gloss to it. The case is also semi-transparent which makes viewing the carbon fiber strap wrapped around the spring bars possible. Think Casio went with a non-resin case to keep it from rotting over time. The material Casio did use looks and feels good, but smudges occasionally. Just wipe and it's clean. No problems.

The back of the case and the buttons are titanium and are coated in PVD. Looks good but not as shiny as the coating on the back of the 5000 which shares the same module as this model. Nice coating and matches the negative dispaly well.

Strap The selling point of this model, the strap with carbon fiber inserts sandwiched between a transparent front layer and a gray, anti-bacterial back side. The carbon fiber is nearly tear proof which makes the strap almost impossible to rip off. Another anvantage is the light weight which contributes to the total heft being 47 grams. The anti-bacterial backside doesn't stink after taking it off at the end of the day. Has stayed clean for the week I've worn it, but too soon to tell if that will last. Overall, looks and feels good.

Some people have argued that carbon fiber is not needed on a G and that it is merely cosmetic, but I like the idea of the carbon fiber and the fact that it will not rip over time is added security. And it is pretty to look at

The carbon fiber makes the strap stiffer than other bands I've had but I just wear it a bit looser than normal with no problems.

Conclusion I like it! Good solid watch with an upgraded strap and one of Casio's best modules. Glad to see Casio experimenting with new technolgies and materials and waiting to see what other offerings there will be in the RM Line of G Shocks.

Re: GW-S5600B-1JF Carbon Fiber short review

Thanks for the great review.

What? No pics?

Ts ts ts ... now go and quickly post some shots before we send SPANISH INQUSITION!
    "Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" - Rocky Balboa, Rocky II, 1979

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To Duke4c, sorry about the lack of pics. If you do send someone over to whip me, can it be an Angelina Jolie look alike?

I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

Banned

Great information. Now it's on my list again.

But PICS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGoat View Post
    I'll try to get some pictures up soon.
    Thanks, that will be great!

Thanks for the overview, it seems like the watch is really gelling with you. One question: what makes you think the buttons are titanium? To me their feel suggests otherwise, but I'm not sure. Admittedly, I don't have the -B version- maybe the button material is one difference between the two.

I would wait for another review after 10 years of wear

I read somewhere that the buttons were titanium, which could be bad information. Basically, I assumed it after reading it somewhere.

The buttons do have a glossy finish to them on the B version like the back of the new 5000s. Guessing here, but maybe Casio used the same buttons for the carbon fibers and the 5000s? They both use the same module

And I know, I need pictures. But I've been busy. And the cat ate the digital camera. And...I'll try to get some taken this weekend.

buttons aren't titanium only the caseback is
    I like G-Shoc....I mean Gulfmans

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information