GW2310 Disassembly?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: GW2310 Disassembly?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GW2310 Disassembly?

Hello... haven't been here in awhile. Bought a used MRG-7000 from someone here in 2005, but my login no longer exists so I had to recreate it.

Anyway, just bought a GW2310FB. Really like the all black bezel and already ordered a black butterfly clasp for it. What I'm not liking so much is the negative LCD.

Ordered a GW2310-1 that will be here Monday. Was planning to try each of them for a couple days then return one. Then got to thinking that maybe I could perform some surgery and get the all black look that I like on the case with a positive display.

Looks like there are a couple paths I can take:

(1) Return the GW2310FB and order black inner and outer bezels and front button from PacParts to put on the GW2310-1.

(2) Swap the modules, keep the extra band as a spare, sell the GW2310FB module and GW2310-1 case for parts.

I'm no stranger to taking things apart, but have never done a watch. Is either of these options more complicated or risky than the other? Does anyone know of a 2310 disassembly guide?

Thanks in advance!

Re: GW2310 Disassembly?

same thing as other Gshock,

remove springbars to remove straps,

unscrew the 4 screws at the bottom, remove the plate, lift up the rubber, lift up the module, put in the new module, make sure it stays attached to the buttons and responsive, put back the rubber, make sure the gasket at its place, put back the plate, screws the 4 screws, install the straps

i am sure there is a link here for other Gshock, it's pretty much the same

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

I did a little of what you suggested. I got myself a GW-2310 and put an FB inner bezel on it. I also installed the outer bezel from the BD model, as I liked the smaller lettering. And of course, no matter what bezel you get you can fill in the lettering with black paint for a stealth look. The only thing you can't really deal with easily are the colored graphics on the dial, but since they're so small I didn't really mind. Here's the result:

Name:  WUS_wruw-0509.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  170.2 KB

I don't mind the negative display of the GW-2310FB, but since I already had the GW-2310 and plenty of negative display G-Shocks, I decided this was the way to go. I'm pretty happy with the results. I may at some point down the road paint the lettering black, including the "G".
    Last edited by xevious; October 5th, 2013 at 21:14.
    Rocat and yankeexpress like this.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mix and match parts from these stock 2310s

Dilemna is whether to switch the inner bezels or switch the modules.

Last edited by yankeexpress; October 5th, 2013 at 21:52.

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    same thing as other Gshock,

remove springbars to remove straps,

unscrew the 4 screws at the bottom, remove the plate, lift up the rubber, lift up the module, put in the new module, make sure it stays attached to the buttons and responsive, put back the rubber, make sure the gasket at its place, put back the plate, screws the 4 screws, install the straps

i am sure there is a link here for other Gshock, it's pretty much the same
    That sounds easy enough... thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by xevious View Post
    I did a little of what you suggested. I got myself a GW-2310 and put an FB inner bezel on it. I also installed the outer bezel from the BD model, as I liked the smaller lettering. And of course, no matter what bezel you get you can fill in the lettering with black paint for a stealth look. The only thing you can't really deal with easily are the colored graphics on the dial, but since they're so small I didn't really mind. Here's the result:

I don't mind the negative display of the GW-2310FB, but since I already had the GW-2310 and plenty of negative display G-Shocks, I decided this was the way to go. I'm pretty happy with the results. I may at some point down the road paint the lettering black, including the "G".
    Thanks very much for that pic. Looks great. Is that before or after the BD outer bezel? I'm not sure what you mean by smaller lettering on the BD outer bezel... looking at pics online, they all look the same size to me across all the 2310 models. I guess I should make sure I have my terminology correct... by outer bezel I mean the outermost plastic with mode, adjust, forward, back lettering on it.

What was involved in replacing the inner and outer bezels?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Mix and match parts from these stock 2310s

Dilemna is whether to switch the inner bezels or switch the modules.
    Great pic! That's really the question I have. From a cost perspective, it seems like sending the FB back and just ordering the FB inner and outer bezels and front button would be the least expensive approach. That's assuming that removing and reinstalling the bezels isn't any more difficult than swapping modules and has no higher risk of damaging something.

Then the other concern is that when looking at the glass, not all of the lettering is on the same plane, like there's "upper glass" and "lower glass." It looks like the "upper glass" is part of the case and I'm assuming that the "lower glass" is actually the module itself. So, swapping modules will leave the "upper glass" lettering... Casio, start/stop, select, set, split/reset... looking dark, and not sure if it will look right with the brighter GW2310-1 module lettering. That would be another factor that might make swapping bezels and front button a better option than swapping modules.

Also, it's hard to tell from online pics, but some shots make it appear that the 2310-1 is a very dark gray rather than the jet black of the 2310FB. Is that true or is it just varying lighting?

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmh View Post

Also, it's hard to tell from online pics, but some shots make it appear that the 2310-1 is a very dark gray rather than the jet black of the 2310FB. Is that true or is it just varying lighting?
    The black bezel and strap are the same shade of black (other than the lettering) on all 3 shown above (I don't have a BD).

I was leaning toward the straight module swap as then one has the darker "eye" and glass lettering plus the blacked out lettering on both inner and outer bezels of the FB with the positive module of the -1.

Additionally one could also swap the outer bezel to get the subdued gray lettering instead of dead black letters.
    Last edited by yankeexpress; October 6th, 2013 at 00:25.

The black bezel and strap are the same shade of black (other than the lettering) on all 3 shown above (I don't have a BD).
    Thanks for the info.

I was leaning toward the straight module swap as then one has the darker "eye" and glass lettering plus the blacked out lettering on both inner and outer bezels of the FB with the positive module of the -1.
    Oh wait. So the eye and all the lettering on that same plane of glass isn't part of the module? I was thinking it was, and therefore what I was mentioning above about mixing dark and bright lettering. If changing modules makes the FB look exactly how it does now, including lettering and eye, and only inverses the LCD display itself, I think I'd be tempted to switch modules rather than putting FB bezels on a non-FB.

But all the same, I'd still like to know what's involved in an inner and outer bezel swap.

And if someone could photoshop all the permutations of all possible bezel / module combinations, so I could see in advance how it will turn out, that would be grand. LOL, j/k
    Last edited by stevenmh; October 6th, 2013 at 01:19.

near Manhattan... Status: Changing course, hard about

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmh View Post
    Thanks very much for that pic. Looks great. Is that before or after the BD outer bezel? I'm not sure what you mean by smaller lettering on the BD outer bezel... looking at pics online, they all look the same size to me across all the 2310 models. I guess I should make sure I have my terminology correct... by outer bezel I mean the outermost plastic with mode, adjust, forward, back lettering on it.

What was involved in replacing the inner and outer bezels?
    The photo I provided is after the modification. The before photo would be more like this: GW-2310. As you can see, the original inner bezel is chrome. The lettering on the outer bezel (black resin) on the BD looks a little thinner/smaller than on the original GW-2310. It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable to me.
    Last edited by xevious; October 6th, 2013 at 01:55.
    In rotation: Citizen Attesa ATV53-2834, Eco Drives | Omega Seamaster | CASIO: TW-7000, MRG-220, RevMan, G-2000D, DW-5700ML, GW-9100 | Seiko SKA-413, SBPG001

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information