GW2310 Strap length / watch advice for military service

Thread: GW2310 Strap length / watch advice for military service

Question GW2310 Strap length / watch advice for military service

Hello,

I`ll be starting my military service soon, and I need a proper watch for it, because my current Seiko ska427p1 doesn`t have a stopwatch, is way too heavy (Twice heavier than my cellphone), and I just don`t want the seiko to get any scratches

I really like the overall design of the GW2310FB1 (The negative black version of GW2310), but there are few questions to which I didn`t find an answer:
    1. The strap length - I have 20cm wrists (almost 8 inch), will the strap be enough for me? It`s length is marked as "Standard" everywhere I checked
    2. Is the negative display really that bad? I mean I have great eyesight - is there any case where I just won`t be able to read the watch?
    3. I`ve read that it`s diameter is 46mm just like my seiko`s, but yet people around the forum have said that it might look "too small" on a relatively big wrist
    4. Would you suggest another watch (preferably gshock) for the following needs - light, comfortable (for physical activity in great heat - could get to 45 degrees celsius around here), preferably black and simple design? (I`ve been also considering the classic DW6600 which again has the strap issue - couldn`t find it`s exact length anywhere on the internet)

Thanks in advance!

Re: GW2310 Strap length / watch advice for military service

Quote Originally Posted by dasada View Post
    I`ll be starting my military service soon, and I need a proper watch for it, because my current Seiko ska427p1 doesn`t have a stopwatch, is way too heavy (Twice heavier than my cellphone), and I just don`t want the seiko to get any scratches

I really like the overall design of the GW2310FB1 (The negative black version of GW2310), but there are few questions to which I didn`t find an answer:

1. The strap length - I have 20cm wrists (almost 8 inch), will the strap be enough for me? It`s length is marked as "Standard" everywhere I checked
    From all I've read, other people have commented on the strap length of the GW2310 series -- it's not so much that the strap is short, but the watch itself isn't that big. Smallish watch + normal strap = shortish strap for large wrists.

2. Is the negative display really that bad? I mean I have great eyesight - is there any case where I just won`t be able to read the watch?
    You'll be able to read the watch if you push the "light" button -- the problem with negative displays is that they can be hard to read at a glance in dim lighting, when a similar watch with a positive display won't be. If you've always got two hands free, that won't be as much of a problem, but you may frequently find yourself carrying something in your "non-watch hand."

4. Would you suggest another watch (preferably gshock) for the following needs - light, comfortable (for physical activity in great heat - could get to 45 degrees celsius around here), preferably black and simple design? (I`ve been also considering the classic DW6600 which again has the strap issue - couldn`t find it`s exact length anywhere on the internet)
    This question comes up here so often it's not even funny -- so start reading: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...watchuseek.com

Unfortunately, you'll probably have trouble finding a new DW6600 since they were discontinued a few years ago. The DW6900 uses the same strap and case, with a different LCD.

I think GW2310 is a little small for 8" wrist. How about this? it is bigger, all black, solar and negative display.
    Though for military purpose, functionality is more important than looks. I think it is better to choose a positive display.

GR-8900A-1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Negative display? - GD-350 it doesn't get better Casio wise and you won't find a G with a similar great too read (-)display. Still, for any military purpose I would rather go with a positive display and - sorry to say - a Timex Ironman/Expetion with discrete Indiglo backlight and no nonsense display/functions makes a much better military watch.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

GO TRY ONE IN PERSON - INSTEAD OF ASKING THE INTERNET

yes, by using capital letters, I am yelling ...

Quote Originally Posted by cal..45 View Post
    Negative display? - GD-350 it doesn't get better Casio wise and you won't find a G with a similar great too read (-)display. Still, for any military purpose I would rather go with a positive display and - sorry to say - a Timex Ironman/Expetion with discrete Indiglo backlight and no nonsense display/functions makes a much better military watch.

cheers

Id' go for the positive GD-350, not the grey one, a GW-6900 or even a DW-290 on a fabric strap. But that is my opinion and I am not joining the military. I'm not sure why folks joining the service think they need a negative display?
    Casio/ Citizen/ G-Shock/ Pro Trek/ Seiko

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocat View Post
    I'm not sure why folks joining the service think they need a negative display?
    For the "stealth" look?, coolness factor?, personal preference? I have seen and heard all of those opinions. What I will never understand is why some soldiers (often Africans and Scandinavians strangely) wear big polished metal watches which will give away their position within a heartbeat when sunlight hits them....
    We are 12.6 %

Thread Information