GW2500: how long does it take for clock sync to go from R to W?

Thread: GW2500: how long does it take for clock sync to go from R to W?

GW2500: how long does it take for clock sync to go from R to W?

Hello Everyone,

I received a new (NOS?) GW2500B earlier this week, and it has not synced to the atomic clock yet. When I press the A (receiving) button, "Get" and "--:--" appears on the two LCD screens. I tried a manual sync at midnight and at 5-ish in the morning. The hand in the left subdial points at R but never goes to W. I put it into test mode (buttons B, C, and D at the same time), selected the "U 60" (USA 60kHz) option, and tried doing a manual sync. After 7 minutes, the display says "UNG" (no good).

I live along the north-east edge of the Ft Collins signal area, so the signal might not be strong. But I have a GW-M5600 which syncs to the atomic clock many nights of the week, from various places around the house. So I'm surprised the 2500 doesn't pick up the signal too. Sadly, the 2500 doesn't give an indication of the signal strength. The 5600 indicates a signal strength from L1 to L3, depending on conditions.

The general advice out there is to be patient and to try different places around the house. But it's odd that the 2500 has not synced after 3 nights, while the 5600 has synced after everyone of those. They were sitting next to each other and facing the same way, too.

Can anyone offer any advice or share their experience with respect to the sync process? How long does it take for the hand to point from R to W? Does it need to point at W and then fail to sync before the ERR message appears? After reading the manual, my interpretation is

R - receive: trying to detect the atomic sync signal

W- working: got the signal, trying to synchronize time

ERR: could not sync (but did detect a signal?)

I was expecting to at least see ERR by now, but still just see "GET --:--"

Thanks,

W.

Re: GW2500: how long does it take for clock sync to go from R to W?

I have a GW2500bd, but, I live in the UK. On opening the watch from it's box, it had already got the signal, and in 3 years, has never failed to get it- sorry I can't be any further help, just to illustrate that patience may work, as the watch certainly works...
    Never argue with an idiot - they'll only bring you down to their level and win from experience...

GW7900B (Stealth modded), GW7900CD-9ER (slightly modded), G7900A-7ER (Camo modded) G7900MS-1BDR, GW2500BD, ProTrek PRG 60YT (RIP), Chase Durer Mach 3, 2 x Citizen Skyhawks (Black & Titanium), Citizen Carbon Promaster JY0075-54E, 2 x vintage Seiko Chronographs, Invicat Grand Diver, Citizen BL5280-52E. Casio GWA 1100-1AER, GWG 1000-1A3ER (J&K metal bracelet conversion). GA400...

Just a thought....is the battery fully charged?

The GW-2500B with positive display syncs as normal from roughly the same distance as Toronto each night on the New England/Canada border along with my other atomics. No problem.

My only regret is that the 2500 has no sweep second hand
    Last edited by yankeexpress; October 3rd, 2015 at 16:46.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on the new GW2500!! I can't be of any help either as I'm down under and we have no signal here to sync to.

It's a fantastic watch otherwise! Enjoy it! I absolutely love mine!

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Just a thought....is the battery fully charged?

The GW-2500B with positive display syncs as normal from roughly the same distance as Toronto each night on the New England/Canada border along with my other atomics. No problem.
    Good question. I wondered if the battery level affected its ability to receive the clock signal. When the watch arrived it pointed to 'M'. After a few hours in the sun, it pointed to 'H', but bounced between 'M' and 'H' for two days. It has consistently pointed at 'H' only since yesterday. So 2 days in medium, 1 day (going on two) in high, after lots of exposure to light, being careful not to let it get too hot of course.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I hear the GW2500 is one of the best at being able to get the atomic clock signal. If it continues to fail to show 'GET --:--' instead of even making it as far as 'ERR', I'll probably send it back.

Interesting, hope you get it figured out.
    I currently have 2 solars, a GWM5610 and a AWGM100F, and like you I will set them on a window sill right next to each other. The 5610 does far better than the 100F so there might be some difference on the antenna placement or efficiency. Good idea on the battery charge, but now that it's on high, I would think you'd be able to manually sync it. Maybe try finding where you get a L3 with the 5600 and then try a manual in the same spot with the 2500, if it continues to fail, maybe it does have an issue of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by VR16710 View Post
    Interesting, hope you get it figured out.
    Maybe try finding where you get a L3 with the 5600 and then try a manual in the same spot with the 2500, if it continues to fail, maybe it does have an issue of some sort.
    That's a fantastic idea! I tried it just now, standing at my west-facing patio door. Held the 5600 in my left hand and the 2500 in my right. The 5600 said the signal strength was L3, and finished with UOK in a few minutes. This was at 3:30pm on an overcast day. What a champ! The 2500 did not change from 'R' to 'W' (sad trombone). I'll leave them both at the patio door again tonight. If there's still no luck, then yeah, maybe there's something wrong with the antenna or something.

Quote Originally Posted by widgydidge View Post
    Congrats on the new GW2500!! I can't be of any help either as I'm down under and we have no signal here to sync to.

It's a fantastic watch otherwise! Enjoy it! I absolutely love mine!

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Tapatalk
    Thanks for warm greeting! It is a great looking watch, and yeah, not everyone lives near a transmitter. There are worse things in life than having a watch that might drift a few seconds a month.

Cheers,
    W.

Thread Information