GW2x00/3x00 Band Removal Tips?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: GW2x00/3x00 Band Removal Tips?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GW2x00/3x00 Band Removal Tips?

I picked up a GW2500 that I am going to put a bracelet on, and it has the double-ended slotted screw attachment common with the GW2000, GW3000 and GW3500. My previous experiences swapping bands on these models resulted in a lot of cussing and a scratched lower bezel and I am expecting more of the same with this older watch. Does anybody have recommendations or tricks? Trying to twist two opposing screwdrivers is not a specialty of mine!

TIA,
    Doug
    Last edited by dpeete; December 6th, 2014 at 07:07.

Re: GW2x00/3x00 Band Removal Tips?

Tools that you never knew existed! The "screwdriver block" or "bracelet holding block" like these: Watchmakers Tool for Removing Double-Ended Screws and Double Sided Gucci Screws

Horofix Steel Block Screwdriver Base for Removing Two Sided Double Ended Screws

Name:  blocks.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  62.3 KB

I've been thinking about making my own out of a hunk of 2x4 -- I've got an old multi-bit mini screwdriver, a drill, and some epoxy glue.
    dpeete likes this.

Hah! I feel silly, that is about the most obvious name out there: "Double Ended Screw Removing Tool Block."

I also seen one on Amazon: Amazon.com: Screw Removing And Fitting Tool - SCR-896.00: Home Improvement

Thank you for the tip

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Glad to be able to help out, and I wish I'd known about this one three years ago when I wound up taking my old MTG-900 to a jeweler to get the bracelet removed! (I'll probably be wishing I had made my own later today if USPS tracking is correct and my new MTG-M900 shows up this afternoon.)

It's truly amazing how many specialty tools are out there for various jobs, but until we know they exist or what their name is, it's hard to find them, even with the internet! I've been surprised by specialty tools in most of my hobbies over the years, and at quite a few jobs.

thanks Mike, it's also a too-late help but .... maybe there is a another Gw3000 falling into my hand some days LOLz

My super-low-budget "screwdriver block" just performed the same job quite nicely! I thought about using locking pliers, but thought that a crescent wrench would lay flat on the desk a little better:

Name:  budget block.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  387.4 KB

uhmmm, what's your planed mod with that G ? putting a resin strap ?

While we are here, any recommendations for reasonably priced thick barreled precision screwdrivers. I have three sets that all suck.

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    uhmmm, what's your planed mod with that G ? putting a resin strap ?
    Yes indeed -- taking me back full circle to one of my very first posts here, there years ago! https://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/rec...ml#post4508036

...but this new one has a countdown timer instead of that "Time Memo" feature!

Almost as importantly, newer G's (like this Multiband 6) try to synch at midnight, 1 AM, 2 AM etc. and then they STOP for the night once they're successful. The older version would continue to synch all through the night, so the display would go blank for several minutes after the hour while it tried again...and again...and again....

Name:  mtg-M900 wus sized.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  316.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by dpeete View Post
    While we are here, any recommendations for reasonably priced thick barreled precision screwdrivers. I have three sets that all suck.
    I'm pretty happy with my $5 Kobalt 8 piece mini screwdriver that I got as a gift a couple of years ago: Shop Kobalt 8-Piece 5-1/4-in Multi-Bit Screwdriver at Lowes.com

As mentioned in the first link above, when I was trying to turn two of these MTG-900 screws against each other -- screws which were apparently glued together with LocTite thread lock -- the Kobalt was strong enough to actually bend/twist the tip of the other screwdriver that came from a cheaper set! It's probably not as good as some of the really high-end sets, but I think it's a great value for the money.
    Last edited by Mike K; December 6th, 2014 at 20:04. Reason: added photo
    G-fob and dpeete like this.

Update: I was at Home Depot last night picking up a Christmas tree and found some decent screwdriver sets there. The large rubber barrel makes all the difference... you just can't get the necessary torque out of the ubiquitous skinny mental barreled precision screwdrivers.

With that said, the "necessary torque" for an older GW2500 is VERY high. Both of the male screws sheared off their heads instead of unscrewing. I had the same thing happen with a well used GW3000. So be prepared for a fight with watches that are more than a few years old and use the double screw band attachment.

I'll share some pictures when the project is done. I picked up a beater GW2500 and a new MTG bracelet and I am basically restoring as a higher end GW2500BD. I still need to order the (expensive) metal bezel to convert from the natural aluminum to the matte black, so there will be the usual PacParts delay before showing off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information