GW7900B Cracked LCD Replaced
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: GW7900B Cracked LCD Replaced

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GW7900B Cracked LCD Replaced

Hello! As the title states, I had a GW7900B with a cracked LCD that I replaced yesterday, but I'm noticing now that the EL does not work. The button is making contact, holding the button turns on the Auto EL, but no light! :( I believe I put all the bits back in the right spot, as far as screen order...but would someone by chance have one to take apart? (My other one is hydro'd, that'd be messy)

I'll add some of the pictures I took later on, when I'm not at work ;)

EDIT: The current order I have, starting from the outermost is LCD, that clear plastic sheet, then the EL. I believe that's the order I did it in, I honestly might just have to switch those two around when I get home.
    Last edited by TRSCP; May 9th, 2015 at 20:00.

Re: GW7900B Cracked LCD Replaced

EDIT: All the text typed on this post, after uploading the pictures from my phone :P

Only current shot of the EL sheet, does anything look damaged on it? The top plastic part of the module was also cracked.

Easily fixed though, with the help of some handy Loctite!

New and old LCDs

Trying to make sure the springs don't fall or get lost. Found it easiest to reassemble upside-down. (Which I didn't take pictures of!!)

This basically sat here to hold the springs, for solar charging purposes I'm assuming, in place.

All closed up, sound spring intact! Success!

Flipping it over and seeing it work made me felt amazing. As you can see, it's on CHARGE mode. Quick AC reset got that sorted right away ;)

Six clips around the edge clicked into place to hold it all together.

Repaired one with nonworking EL next to the one I did the hydro on. Notice a difference? :D

Still, not sure why the EL isn't working, did that get borked along the way? I can't tell, and I don't feel like busting open the hydro one right now.

Hopefully someone can help me out here, or I'll wait until I get the GW7900KG-3 in the mail. (That will be a fun project upon itself! Love getting used G-Shocks and fixing them up!)

Thanks for bearing with me, everyone, sorry for the late posting of pictures. I get lazy when I have to upload photos from my phone, haha.
    Last edited by TRSCP; May 10th, 2015 at 07:27.
    stockae92 likes this.

if you can open the module and put it back working, then your Gshock game level is 8/10

the hydro-mod is like 4/10

so we give you the higher level

as for your problem, i remember reading some member here using sharpie to change the light color, maybe he can tell you where that is to check, as for me, i can't see any light bulb at all

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    ...as for your problem, i remember reading some member here using sharpie to change the light color, maybe he can tell you where that is to check, as for me, i can't see any light bulb at all
    It's EL, so no light bulbs. My guess, crack LCD means leaked fluid, may be the EL panel's also damaged. Also did you change battery too? May be it's just not enough charge. Good luck.

@G-fob I tried using a highlighter the other day with a 6900 for changing the screen color (old module) which ended not right, got it cleaned up though, so no harm no foul, right? Then it clicked to color over the EL, but I wanted to keep the blue.

At any rate, I'll just wait for the other 7900 to show up, and rip that one apart too :D

Thanks for the help!

@watch_geek2014 a higher charge, eh? There a secret battery level above high? ;) and yes, fresh battery, that's where the bag saying Battery comes into play

Again, I'll just gut the other 7900 to compare EL sheets.

Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by watch_geek2014 View Post
    My guess, crack LCD means leaked fluid, may be the EL panel's also damaged.
    I'm wondering this too, that black coloring in the corner of the EL is making me unsure of things...

I'll know once I get my other 7900 as a reference (yay, gutting more watches...!)

Thanks again!

that's the spirit, I like you, breaking more to learn more !!!
    TRSCP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G-fob View Post
    that's the spirit, I like you, breaking more to learn more !!!
    I don't like the sound of breaking, haha.

You do know I manage a watch shop, right? Changing batteries is second nature for me now. Having to go that extra bit to get it running again is just icing on the cake ;)

But yeah, suppose I DID break the old LCD and put myself in this boat, haha.

I think I figured it out.

Upon taking apart the G7900 I received from JohnQFord (hope I got that right?) Today, I noticed that there are these two springs:

Those two springs are NOT present in my GW7900 module, and thus, the EL is getting no current! I was trying to sort out how it got power......

At any rate, guess it's time to cut up a spring bar and see if I can fashion something ;)

Quote Originally Posted by TRSCP View Post
    I think I figured it out.

Upon taking apart the G7900 I received from JohnQFord (hope I got that right?) Today, I noticed that there are these two springs:

Those two springs are NOT present in my GW7900 module, and thus, the EL is getting no current! I was trying to sort out how it got power......

At any rate, guess it's time to cut up a spring bar and see if I can fashion something ;)
    All this within what ... 30 minutes of receiving the package ? Quit wasting time, Peter!
    TRSCP likes this.
    "watchuseek" ... From a lost indigenous dialect ... meaning ... "Bet you can't buy just one !!!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information