GW7900B issues

Thread: GW7900B issues

GW7900B issues

One of the screws came out almost immediately, but I've read that they just pop in and out. The backlight turns on randomly, but seems to be associated with movement. I'm guessing there is a sensor that I somehow switched on? My biggest problem is that it is just over a year old and it won't keep a charge. I have a somewhat nocturnal schedule, but it does get at least a couple of hours of light per day, and my understanding was that it would run for months on a full charge. It appears that it will only charge up to "Medium" and then gets so low within the same night that functions like the backlight won't work. I've had it in a window sill for a week (wearing a Luminox to work) and it it still only showing a medium charge. I'm assuming that the watch is beyond repair.

I purchased the watch 12/16/09. The problems arose several weeks ago, and due to the holidays I put off dealing with it. I'm guessing that I'm just past the warranty period, can anyone tell me for sure?

This is my second "made in Thailand" G shock with issues. The last was battery powered, and after maybe 3 years would dim, go blank, and reset itself even on a new battery. I switched to solar/atomic to prevent these issues. My Japan made Casio from the 6th grade (20 years old now) and a mid-90s Japan made G still run fine. If only they had the EL backlight... If I buy another Casio it will be a Japan made Pathfinder, but I'm getting frustrated and I'm starting to think that the Gs just aren't what they used to be.

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: GW7900B issues

the lose screws seem to be a common issue with the GW-7900 series. strange thing is that this does not apperar with the G-7900 series though....

however, I suggest you just clue them to the case since the don't serve any purpose other than looks anyway.

you have activated the auto-el backlight. to turn it off, keep the light button pressed for about three seconds while in timekeeping mode. just left of the circle there is an indicator that shows you on/off. you may also want to ckeck if the watch is set to 1.5 or 3 seconds backlight duration. if you don't need the three seconds setting, put it on one point five.

I strongly recommend to put the auto-el only on if you really need it, since it is a power sucking beast. the problem with solar powered watches is, that some of them have a "full auto-el" (such as yours) that never will shut off automatically until you do so. theoretically the auto-el will only pop up when the ambient light drops below a certain level, but what about wintertime when 99% of all people wear their watches under long arm clothes and therefore the watch always tend to "think" it is night?

although you had trouble with a previously owned non-solar g-shock (what model was it btw ?) still nothing beats a 3 volt lithium battery powered g-shock. personally I do chose my G-7900 anytime over the GW-7900. it's even cheaper and has more advanced functions, you might want to check them out.

cheers
    We are 12.6 %

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Switch off auto EL and give the watch a good charge of, lets say 3 days of sunny weather.
    Then judge.

Its more likely that the battery is drained by auto-EL then defective.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    Switch off auto EL and give the watch a good charge of, lets say 3 days of sunny weather.
    Then judge.

Its more likely that the battery is drained by auto-EL then defective.
    Yup.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Part of the reason why I sold my GW7900. Cosmetic screws? No thanks.

Moderator G-Shock Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Yang1815 View Post
    Part of the reason why I sold my GW7900. Cosmetic screws? No thanks.
    Hehe, you also shouldnt buy a frogman. Same kind of simulated screws in the bezel face.

Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    Hehe, you also shouldnt buy a frogman. Same kind of simulated screws in the bezel face.
    Didn't know that, thanks for letting me know. Never planned on buying one anyway though.

Thread Information