GW9200-1 or PAG-240-1 ???
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: GW9200-1 or PAG-240-1 ???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GW9200-1 or PAG-240-1 ???

Hi,
    I never owned a watch and now i made up my mind to buy one. I made some research and found two models which appeared interesting to me:
    GW9200-1 and PAG240-1. I'm kind of active person and i really like the fact that g shock can take any abuse and that particular model has altimeter, barometer, thermometer tough solar and multi band 6. Pathfinder has almost the same features but it also has a compass,sunset and sunrise data, and it doesn't have multi band 6 and its not a shock resistant.
    I would be very glad to hear opinions or recommendations of somebody who owned or currently own one of those.
    Thank you.

1onehandwill likes this.

Re: GW9200-1 or PAG-240-1 ???

I LOVE BOTH GW9200-1 and PAG240-1 But to me the PAG240 is the best outdoorsman watch this side of a suunto core.

1onehandwill , Thanks for sharing

Both watch are amazing, but i can afford only one))

Pathfinder is great, but how about its toughness? If i will choose pathfinder should I be careful with it?

Anybody else wants to share their experience with these models?)) I would be glad to hear some more opinions.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Kinda curious about this as well as I'm looking between a PAG240-1 and a G9300-1 Mudman.

Frost did you purchase anything yet?

@OP
    I am pretty confident that PAG will take anything you might throw at it. Not as tough as a G, but tough enough for outdoor use, apart from running it over with your car or something like that. So if you like the specs and look of a PAG, go for it. Also you cannot go wrong with a Riseman either, I personally like them, but they are too small for my taste.
    1onehandwill likes this.

Inactive

I've had both.

PRG-240: very poor build quality, low contrast display and a very uncomfortable resin strap. Theres a velcro version. Alarm is so low, that alarm and CDT are next to useless. Display layout is good and it has optional 3 sec light duration.

Riseman: a bit on the small side, short light duration, no current time in alti mode, tiny and deeply recessed graphic, making it hard to read. Not good in low light, as theres quite some shadowcast from the middle bar. Buttons are a tad too hard to access. Alarm is better than 240, though not impressive. Snooze, if that matter. Very comfortable. Build quality are quite some better than 240, though not setting any records.

Casio barometers and altimeters, requires a lot of calibration to be just reasonably accurate. Almost everyone else making ABC watches, makes much better AB functions.

So if I had to choose one, I'd choose the Riseman. To me the 240 looks too nerdy and the lack of comfort, low alarm, low contrast display and poor build quality, are unacceptable. If my choises were free, I'd choose something else.
    LUW likes this.

Not had a riseman so cant comment on that but do have a 240 which i adore.

Bought for £100 so bargain. It is the orange one btw.

Strap? Awful but adaptors and NATO band look trick for £30 and huge comfort improvement.

Low contrast display? Kinda. Its a dual layer lcd for the cool animations but sure at some angles in low light you have to look a little longer perhaps tho nice big digits help a lot. Had it in Canaries last week and in sunshine all contrast probs disappear. Reads 5 by 5.

Alarm tone? I used it to time my sunbathing and it woke me up from my wrist. Sure it wont compete with phone so use that for wake up calls.

Build? Im perplexed by unanimous complaints here. Sure my more expensive watches are nicer but really there is nowt loose or hard to operate at all. No diff with buttons to my 7900 or 7710 in feel.

On the wrist it has real presence because it is real big compared to Gs. I love it.

ABC accuracy? Who cares. Buy an eltrex or Silva compass. Its a gadget.

Love it, and would love a green one too.

Sent from my mini Galaxy so soz for typos :-\
    Last edited by CanonMan; July 12th, 2012 at 21:06.
    The 7900's are my favourites, although the 56s are currently my focus. But nothing is excluded, except pink Risemans.

I have the PRW2500, which is a slightly newer version of that watch, and it adds solar, atomic, moonphase, and tide data, but loses sunrise/sunset.

If you like the sunrise and sunset instead of the moonphase/tide and don't mind giving up the rotating bezel, look at the PAW2000, which is much thinner than the PRG240 and you get solar and atomic back. If you're not going to try to use the compass with a map, there's really no point in having the rotating bezel. After trying both the PRW2500 and the PAW2000, I decided to keep the PAW2000 and sell the PRW2500. (no takers yet)

The G-Shocks are tougher, but also usually taller, and they don't fit well underneath sleeves. (partly from the height, and partly because the rubber seems to grab everything)

You will not damage a Pathfinder/Pro Trek unless you really beat on it. They are solid-state and well-made outdoor watches. They are usually larger in diameter than the G's, but also usually flatter too.

ThomAsio: If you're going to say lots of bad things like that, you should qualify them with your specific experience.
    -Jeremy
    6-3/4" (171 mm) wrist

IMHO the best alternative to the GW-9200 is the PAW-500.

Cheers, Sedi
    Last edited by Sedi; July 12th, 2012 at 22:04.

Riseman is on its way to my house:) I spend a lot of time analyzing pros and cons on both models and after I saw riseman in person I just fall in love:) it's really awesome watch, especially with all features it offers. Pathfinder is nice too, but I just love g shock design. And i also like that I don't have to worry about g's, tough as tank!!
    However, I have a question, swimming is one of my favorite things to do, and Usually I spent a lot of time in the swimming pool in the fitness center. As I know usually they put special chemicals or something in the swimming pool to keep the water clean, the question is will it damage the watch sensor? If this question is sounds silly, sorry:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information