GWA-1100 questions
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: GWA-1100 questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GWA-1100 questions

Hi everyone, first-time poster here.

I am seriously thinking of buying GWA-1100 and have read numerous reviews, the manual and pretty much every non-sale-related thread on this forum that I could find but still I have a number of questions/concerns so I would appreciate some assistance.

Expectations, intended use and motivation for buying the watch:
    - I truly like the design and looks of this Aviator, especially the aviation theme,
    - I need a daily beater; my current Polar RS800CX is an excellent tool I adore but is not really meant for daily abuse and I would hate to ruin it with scratches and/or accidental bumps which can happen,
    - would be used in office environment and/or as part of usual daily routine (for sports, I use the Polar above),
    - I would like durable and minimum maintenance watch,
    - I do not expect to be using its compass/stopwatch features frequently,
    - my first watch was a G-Shock from 1995 (with thermometer, I cannot find the exact model number right now) and it still works to this day after being subjected to incredible punishments (including falling from 2 m to tile floor and being *thrown* from the top of basketball table to asphalt without as much as flinching - not that watches flinch much at all, anyway).
    I would be satisfied if this analog Aviator would be similarly durable.

My questions/concerns:
    1) Tough solar feature
    I am worried it might be a hassle in my case.
    Power supply is specified to have operating time of 6 months post full charge - what does it mean "operating time"? Is it Level 1 or Level 2 (second hand traverses 2 seconds with each tick)? The reason I am asking is this - I live in southern Canada and come winter time, there is not a whole lot of sun here. In addition, I hate wearing the watch *over* my sleeve (in fact, it is mostly under sleeve except for summer time and/or moments I actually check the time). Judging from the manual, it may be a problem, since the watch falls into sleep after 60 mins of dark time (which is under sleeve). Now, I would find it bizzare to have to press a button each time just to check the time.

The second thing is that I have the impression that the watch will be falling into power save Level 2 mode at least once a year since I work indoors with computers. I am not working in a mineshaft and there is plenty of sunlight but I would find it onerous to keep the watch constantly exposed - in fact, I hate that. So it would seem that I may have to dedicate a couple of days just to expose watch to enough sunlight and that would defeat the minimum maintenance requirement above. What are your experiences with this? Do all of you wear watches unconcealed?

2) Analog durability
    This is a g-shock watch so I expect it can take some (reasonable) punishment, however this is also an analog watch and I would expect it to be less durable/shock-resistant than its digital counterparts. Does this hold today or are analog g-shocks as durable/resistant as their digital counterparts?

3) Sapphire vs. mineral glass
    Is GWA-1100's glass impact-sensitive? Flat sapphire has extreme scratch resistance but is less resistant to impacts than mineral glass - vice-versa holds as well. Ideally, we would want a 4-5 mm, domed sapphire crystal glass but Aviator comes with a flat crystal. How much of a big deal is this? Does anyone have experience in this regard?

4) "Loose-hands flaw"
    I am correct in assuming this is only exhibited in cronograph/compass mode and not in regular, timekeeping mode? Some users found it a Big Deal but judging from the actual shift itself, I can hardly believe a person even notices that unless fishing for the flaw specifically. How much is this 'loosening' prominent?

5) Japan vs Thailand assembly
    Do you think this reduces the durability of watch? Do we have any empirical evidence?

I apologise for this extra-long mail, hope it's not too cumbersome.

Looking forward to your replies and thank you.

Re: GWA-1100 questions

hi, I'm in Vancouver and I currently own the GWA-1100 (red) and GWA-1000FC (all blue)... I can't really chime in on the durability because I find myself wearing my Casio GX-56 more than anything else... especially if I'm doing anything active. That said, I can tell you this... I've yet to see them both go under medium battery charge and again, I don't even wear them that much so they don't get much light (to charge). In fact, they are kept on a shelf that's not very close to the window.

I can tell you also, the atomic time keeping for me in Vancouver works only if they are at a particular window sill late at night. However, when my wife and I visited Edmonton, my GWA-1100 got synced every night and we stayed in the basement suite (while wearing it to sleep). Being in Calgary, I would think the atomic time syncing would be even better (since you're that much closer to the atomic clock in Colorado).
    Last edited by trainerKEN; March 17th, 2014 at 10:02.

By medium battery charge I presume you mean Level 2 (second hand ticks 2 seconds each tick)? So, your current experience is I shouldn't be concerned with solar power being too much of a hassle?

What is your overall impression of the watch - are you generally pleased with craftsmanship and functionality?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dxun View Post
    By medium battery charge I presume you mean Level 2 (second hand ticks 2 seconds each tick)? So, your current experience is I shouldn't be concerned with solar power being too much of a hassle?

What is your overall impression of the watch - are you generally pleased with craftsmanship and functionality?
    yeah, that's what I meant... I haven't seen it do that at all (the second hand thing).

my overall impression of the watch is pretty good, but I think if you really REALLY look at the second hand, it's a tiny bit off a couple of the markers towards the bottom (like around the 5, 6 maybe 7 markers). But I'm not too uptight about it, my GWA-1000 was made in Japan and doesn't have that issue. But I don't know if the country they were made in had anything to do with it
    Dxun likes this.

Another feature worth knowing is that whilst stop watch or timer countdown or compass, there is no indication of the current time. Example GA-1000 do not have this limitation.
    Seiko: SRP043K Tag Hauer: Pro 2000 CE1111 MARANEZ Bangla Brass
    G-Shocks: GWA-1100-1A3;
    GX-56-1A;GX-56-1B;GX-56-4A;GX-56BB-1DR; GX-56KG-3; GLS8900LV-2; GA-110GB-1DR; G7900-2; DW-6900NB-1ER; GS-301B

Hi everyone, first-time poster here.

I am seriously thinking of buying GWA-1100 and have read numerous reviews, the manual and pretty much every non-sale-related thread on this forum that I could find but still I have a number of questions/concerns so I would appreciate some assistance.
    1) Tough solar feature
    2) Analog durability
    3) Sapphire vs. mineral glass
    4) "Loose-hands flaw"
    5) Japan vs Thailand assembly
    I have predecessor 1000 (which I think is a bit cleaner looking while I would have preferred the compass of the 1100 over the useless thermometer of the 1000).

1. Don't worry it will almost certainly keep at full energy for 8 years or so until the battery wears out. Except perhaps if you keep on fiddling with all the features.
    2. This series is extremely durably, one of the most durable analog watches on the planet. Perhaps the most durable. They are nicely padded internally against shocks, can handle all kinds of acceleration, has sturdy "bumpers" everywhere, they also have that "tough" auto adjustment of the hands feature. I don't think that you should worry in any way.
    3. The big bumpers around the bezel will most likely protect the sapphire against shattering, unless you do a very unfortunate move with great force. I wouldn't lie awake about it.
    4. Sorry, not experienced on my 1000. It is quite clever how all the hands operate via their own actuators.
    5. Probably nothing to worry about, the general QC should always be very good. Having visited Japan, it must be said that their general obsession with perfectionism may result in a somewhat more committed assembly workforce than elsewhere on the planet. But still, there will be QC so that the product is certain to live up to the brand reputation.

In short, nothing to worry about.
    Dxun likes this.

Thank you all for your answers - I'll probably sift around a few days looking for additional info but will probably buy the watch in the following week.

If you have some additional items you'd like do mention or responses to my first post, please do not hesitate to write.

Hi everyone, just wanted to tell you I've ordered and gotten the GWA-1100-1A3.
    In the last two days I've gotten the impression it's by far the most impressive piece of time-tracking machinery I've ever had and overall I am very pleased. Generally, it is very well thought out and setting it up (even though a bit awkward since this is an analog watch, after all) should take too much to figure out.
    If someone is interested I can post a few pictures of it, though it's nothing you can't find elsewhere on this forum.

After having the watch so far I have had no problems syncing nightly with Fort Collins and majority of features I've tested work impeccably.

I'll leave remarks/questions/impressions as I use the watch on a day-to-day basis.
    So far, only one thing pops to mind: why, oh why, didn't Casio provide for a decent battery indicator on their flagship Aviator model?
    They already have 0-100 scale used to manually set years, they could've used the same thing to precisely display the battery level, instead of indicating Level 2 by two-second ticks of the Second Hand.

Does anyone know if any watch in Casio gamut has this capability to display battery level as a scalar instead of through modes?

Does anyone know if any watch in Casio gamut has this capability to display battery level as a scalar instead of through modes?
    Nope, no Casio that I know of, because it really doesn't matter. Don't worry about battery life. It is long. Very long.

Congrats on your new 1100. Glad you are so pleased with it.

Chrisek and Dxun like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

why, oh why, didn't Casio provide for a decent battery indicator on their flagship Aviator model?
    I think that you worry too much, if you wear your watch often, and if you put it in ambient light in your room when not wearing, it will take something like 8 years before you need to change the battery. And it will be at least a month or so of ticking at 2 second steps: plenty of time to get the battery replaced.
    Milos and Chrisek like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information