GWM-5610 vs. F-91w viewing angle
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: GWM-5610 vs. F-91w viewing angle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Member LArch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    19

    GWM-5610 vs. F-91w viewing angle

    Hi guys, I am new to G-Shock. Just got my GWM-5610 an hour ago (ordered from Amazon this week).

    Did a quick comparison about the renowned GWM-5610 with the budget F-91W, and surprisingly found that the viewing angle is bad on the GWM-5610, at least compared to the very cheap F-91W.

    Is it common, or is the GWM-5610 supposed to look like this?
    I admit it is a little shocking to me to see the panel on GWM-5610, and realize how clear the panel on the F-91w is.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5610_1.jpg 
Views:	836 
Size:	687.4 KB 
ID:	12509495
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91w_1.jpg 
Views:	802 
Size:	700.1 KB 
ID:	12509497
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	both_1.jpg 
Views:	802 
Size:	711.8 KB 
ID:	12509499
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	both_2.jpg 
Views:	801 
Size:	719.5 KB 
ID:	12509501
    Last edited by LArch; September 16th, 2017 at 07:01.

  2. #2
    Member Marrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    2,266

    Re: GWM-5610 vs. F-91w viewing angle

    Quote Originally Posted by LArch View Post
    Hi guys, I am new to G-Shock. Just got my GWM-5610 an hour ago (ordered from Amazon this week).

    Did a quick comparison about the renowned GWM-5610 with the budget F-91W, and surprisingly found that the viewing angle is bad on the GWM-5610, at least compared to the very cheap F-91W.

    Is it common, or is the GWM-5610 supposed to look like this?
    I admit it is a little shocking to me to see the panel on GWM-5610, and realize how clear the panel on the F-91w is.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5610_1.jpg 
Views:	836 
Size:	687.4 KB 
ID:	12509495
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91w_1.jpg 
Views:	802 
Size:	700.1 KB 
ID:	12509497
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	both_1.jpg 
Views:	802 
Size:	711.8 KB 
ID:	12509499
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	both_2.jpg 
Views:	801 
Size:	719.5 KB 
ID:	12509501
    Casio watches without the EL backlight, that have a small bulb on the side generally have a MUCH better contrast and viewing angle so I find this normal

    WatchGeek YT Channel
    Epal2Apol and WES51 like this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,087

    Re: GWM-5610 vs. F-91w viewing angle

    IMO, nothing can beat the sharpness and the clear LCD of the F-91W, nothing that I saw to be honest.
    Prdrers and WES51 like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Moderator G-Shock Forum
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,790

    Re: GWM-5610 vs. F-91w viewing angle

    this!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrin View Post
    Casio watches without the EL backlight, that have a small bulb on the side generally have a MUCH better contrast and viewing angle so I find this normal

    WatchGeek YT Channel
    You see no pictures in my post?
    Photobucket decided to lock my pics behind a 40$/month prescription service.
    I used their services since 2009 so the most of my old threads have Photobucket pics inside.
    If you stumble across one of those threads and want to see the pic, PM me and i will re-attach it.
    What can we learn from all the lost information?
    1. never trust cloud services
    2. always keep control of your data

  6. #5
    Member Marrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    2,266

    Re: GWM-5610 vs. F-91w viewing angle

    Quote Originally Posted by d2mac View Post
    this!!!
    a bit OT but your signature just explained all the missing pics on this and other forums!!!!

    Wow that is bad on their side!!

  7. #6
    Moderator G-Shock Forum
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,790

    Re: GWM-5610 vs. F-91w viewing angle

    Rant on

    Yes, that somewhat catastrophic.

    Its not only the lost fun of WRUW etc. but a lot of tutorials will become useless too.

    The current cloud service policy sucks.
    It seems that a lot of buisnesses try to lure you into total dependency to their services and then rise the wages.

    Im somewhat curious now how the younger hosting services from Google, Apple , Microsoft, facebook and Amazon behave when they think that the masses are hooked and cant switch to other services easy.

    And of course i have no good plan for a next reliable hoster.
    I will use this site attachment service so far and keep always a local copy of everything!

    Rant off

    Quote Originally Posted by Marrin View Post
    a bit OT but your signature just explained all the missing pics on this and other forums!!!!

    Wow that is bad on their side!!
    WES51, Marrin and zabat like this.
    You see no pictures in my post?
    Photobucket decided to lock my pics behind a 40$/month prescription service.
    I used their services since 2009 so the most of my old threads have Photobucket pics inside.
    If you stumble across one of those threads and want to see the pic, PM me and i will re-attach it.
    What can we learn from all the lost information?
    1. never trust cloud services
    2. always keep control of your data

  8. #7
    Member Sir-Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    3,023

    Re: GWM-5610 vs. F-91w viewing angle

    I know what you mean. I got my first G-Shock (a GW-M5610 like yours) earlier this summer, after having Timex for years. That was an adjustment! I find the Ironman display immensely more legible than the Casio. It took some practice to remember to angle it just right by more diligently angling my wrist straight at my eyeline.

    Nice watch, by the way! I'm a fan of mine.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    394

    Re: GWM-5610 vs. F-91w viewing angle

    If I have been informed correctly it's the angle of the polarizing filter. They are apparently using different types or orientations to get the specific results. This has been one of the disadvantages of digital displays from the beginning of LCD.

    LED didn't, tho. We (sh)could return to it but it has higher power consumption. An LED four color display won't need filtering - and the brightness level is excellent. They just have to power every tiny pixel. Electric watches have negative issues for every positive.

    It's not a problem with analogs using flat crystals, if the chapter ring depth is reasonable. I can read the time on my GAX 100B at angles much lower than the SGW Casio digital display. If you can see the hands, you can interpret the time, even with 45% of the dial markers obscured.

    Advantages and disadvantages.

    I'd like to see a chart with a lot of these features measured and listed to show which does what, or at least become part of a standard list of things reported when reviewing a digital watch. I find the poorly angled displays more than annoying when I'm forced to twist my wrist everytime I want to view the time during the day. I guess I've worn too many diver analogs to trade away reading the time.
    MainePorsche likes this.

  10. #9
    Member Fergfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    5,231

    Re: GWM-5610 vs. F-91w viewing angle

    More than any square or early MRG I have, the best clarity from extreme viewing angles are on my G-7800 and G-8000. I can read them basically no matter how far I turn my wrist away. I usually check the time between zero and what I guess is 10-20 degrees anyway. I had some led's in days past (Pulsar, Texas Instrument, Fossil, Bulova) and I love them. However they are battery hogs as mentioned, some had 2 batteries, and I'd rather turn my wrist a centimeter to see the time than than press a button any day.
    MainePorsche likes this.

  11. #10
    Member MainePorsche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    I'm right here...
    Posts
    1,903

    Re: GWM-5610 vs. F-91w viewing angle

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergfour View Post
    More than any square or early MRG I have, the best clarity from extreme viewing angles are on my G-7800 and G-8000. I can read them basically no matter how far I turn my wrist away. I usually check the time between zero and what I guess is 10-20 degrees anyway. I had some led's in days past (Pulsar, Texas Instrument, Fossil, Bulova) and I love them. However they are battery hogs as mentioned, some had 2 batteries, and I'd rather turn my wrist a centimeter to see the time than than press a button any day.
    At present I have two digitals, one positive and the other not. Just have to turn the wrist/Watch ever so slightly to get a perfect read. Not an issue.


    Timepieces

    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN 1000H 9AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000NV 2AJF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000MB 1AJF
    ​2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWN Q1000K 7AJR ICERC
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWG 1000DC 1A5JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GWF D1000NV 2JF
    2017 CASIO G SHOCK GW 9300DC
    2017 CASIO EDIFICE EF 305 1AV
    1990 ROLEX GMT II M16713LN STAINLESS/GOLD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 15
      Last Post: October 5th, 2015, 02:50
    2. Replies: 2
      Last Post: April 30th, 2015, 00:55
    3. GWM-5610-1 vs GWM-6900-1
      By xptweakerntn in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: October 4th, 2014, 15:17
    4. FS:NIB G-Shock atomic pair/GWM-5610-1,GWM-6900-1
      By blondygirl69 in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: January 4th, 2013, 22:12
    5. FS Casio Classic Sports Chronograph F-91W-3SDG F-91W-3 Men's Watch
      By rahul.creationwatches in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: July 27th, 2011, 14:32

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •