Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By LankyOrangutan
  • 1 Post By Mike K
  • 1 Post By BigG
  • 1 Post By godizded

Thread: GWM5610-1 New Module

GWM5610-1 New Module

Hi All

I have had my GWM5610-1 (3159 module) watch for only 20 months and the module has already failed!

I have looked after the watch (even though it's a G-Shock) and have kept it charged up - in fact I've never seen it below 'H'. It sits on a shelf (with my other solar's) where the sun (yep, even in the UK) shines directly onto it, and have regularly worn it outside. It now just goes into its battery saving mode and then resets to 1st January Tokyo time! I'm sure it's not the battery.

What's the point in buying a Solar G so that I can abuse it and I don't need to worry about opening it up to change a battery if it can't take being looked after and the battery goes within 2 years!

My question is (approx) how much will a new module cost?

Re: GWM5610-1 New Module

it might be defective battery that cannot hold charge.
    Just send it to casio to let them figure it out.

It could be but (since the watch is out of its 1 year warranty) I don't want to be paying out for more than the watch is worth (postage, battery and/or module) so I'm just looking for rough prices.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had a module replaced on a GW-9000A Mudman by Casio UK earlier this year, cost about £50.

There are quite a few threads around here with similar problems, where the watch shows the charge as either "high" or "empty" (with nothing in between) where the problem HAS turned out to be the battery!

Since a new CTL1616 battery will probably cost you about £10 or less, that would probably be the best place to start. If you still want to change the module itself....

Quote Originally Posted by BigG View Post
    It could be but (since the watch is out of its 1 year warranty) I don't want to be paying out for more than the watch is worth (postage, battery and/or module) so I'm just looking for rough prices.
    Since you're in the UK, try calling Tiktox.com -- that's apparently a faster way to get an answer than via e-mail.

In the past, Tiktox has been able to get some Casio parts that (for whatever reason) Pacparts in the US cannot get, such as discontinued, limited edition straps and bezels.

About a year or so ago, for no apparent reason that we have been able to figure out, Pacparts started listing EVERY G-Shock module as "RESTRICTED PART CONTACT FACTORY SERVICE CENTER," as in this part list for that watch: Consumer Electronic Parts and Accessories at PacParts, Inc.

Hopefully Tiktox can still acquire and sell modules. I never purchased a module from Pacparts, but if I remember correctly, modules used to cost about half to two-thirds of the MSRP of the whole watch.
    BigG likes this.

Thanks guys, that's great information. I'll check out Tiktox but if it turns out to be too expensive I may just go for a new battery.

I still have two other G-Shocks but I'll think twice before getting another solar.
    EXCALIBUR1 likes this.

BigG:
    Strange doins!
    I have 4 Solar Atomics with nary a problem yet. Some
    more'n 2 years old.
    Buy a lemon? I'd keep it for spare parts n buy another
    one. They aren't exactly Patek Phillipe's.

Lou Snutt

That's true arogle1stus, I'm just annoyed because I specifically bought the watch so that I didn't have to open it up to replace the battery! I'd be miffed if any digital watch didn't last 2 years....but a solar G-Shock.....

I've had problems with different solar G's. Most of them looked liked the module was faulty, but in the end, it was always the battery.

So I'd try replacing it in the first place. You can get one in ebay for about 15 euro. And if it's not the battery, well, at least you'll have a spare one for the future.

Casio solar technology is pretty cool, but it brings more problems than non-solar. : (

I think they should keep improving it instead launching so many limited editions and stuff.

Best,

G.
    BigG likes this.

I've ordered a new battery so we'll see if that solves it. Thanks guys.

Thread Information