GWM5610 Power Save Question
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: GWM5610 Power Save Question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

GWM5610 Power Save Question

I have a G5600E and a GWM5610. Power save mode is turned on for both of them. In the morning, the 5600E has a black screen until I give it more light. The 5610, however, is showing its normal display. Could the power save feature not be working even though it says that it's on?

Thanks.

Re: GWM5610 Power Save Question

My experience is that different models have different sensitivities when it comes to waking up from the Power Saving mode.

How much light is there "in the morning" when you did the check?

Since PS mode would kick in roughly 60-70 min after the watch has been left in the dark after 10 pm perhaps you can put the GW-M5610 in a dark place and then check for the blank display around 11:30 pm?

The GWM5600 might be set up to turn on at a certain time in the morning or it might turn on when it goes to get its radio signal(I think 5am is the last time in the morning it attempts to look for it.

On all my atomic G-Shocks(including the oldest one i have which is a GW300 from 2003) all are on in the morning no matter the lack of light. My GW2310(which is my latest atomic watch) does this also.

You could test it by putting the watch in a really low light(but enough to see the watch display) and leave it for a few hours and check back, it should go into sleep mode

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    The GWM5600 might be set up to turn on at a certain time in the morning or it might turn on when it goes to get its radio signal(I think 5am is the last time in the morning it attempts to look for it.

On all my atomic G-Shocks(including the oldest one i have which is a GW300 from 2003) all are on in the morning no matter the lack of light. My GW2310(which is my latest atomic watch) does this also.
    The GW-300 receives atomic updates quite differently from the way the GW-2310 and GW-M5600 do, and if the GW-M5600 receives a signal at midnight or 1 AM, it shouldn't still be "awake" in the morning.

Your GW-300 manual reads like my MTG-900 manual, and says that the watch will attempt to synch at 2, 3, 4, and 5 AM. "When two, three, or four receptions are successful, the watch uses the data of the last reception for calibration." (I'm a night owl so the multiple "receives" drive me nuts.)

Casio got a little smarter with their next wave of solar/atomics like our GW-2310's -- which work the same way as described in the GW-M5600 manual, which states that "The watch receives the time calibration signal automatically up to six times a day. When any auto receive is successful, the remaining auto receive operations are not performed."

Since the newer ones don't auto-receive all night long, they should enter sleep mode 60-70 minutes after their first (and only) update and stay there 'till morning!

My GW-M5600 doesn't wake up from PS mode when auto-receiving the time signal. Sometimes when I used to use PS mode on this watch, I'd have to wake up the watch from PS mode only to find that it was trying to time sync (in fact, it will only wake from PS during a time sync after pressing a button; the tilt mechanism works fine).

As to the OP's issue, I'd imagine that the light sensitivities between the two watches causes one to wake up before the other.

Banned

What turns off the PS mode in a GWM5620 and turns on the display - is it motion or light?

Motion and light should wake them up. And all of mine will sync WHILE sleeping, fwiw.
    Jer

"I'm hip about time"

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Guy View Post
    What turns off the PS mode in a GWM5620 and turns on the display - is it motion or light?
    There's a difference between "turns off the PS mode" and "turns on the display."

PS mode is turned on and off by pressing and holding the upper left button until you get to the "setup screen" -- if PS mode is enabled there will be a "PS" icon in the upper left corner.

The watch will enter PS mode (also known as "the watch goes to sleep" and "the display turns off") when it's left in the dark for about an hour, and will exit PS mode (or "wakes up" and "display turns back on") when exposed to light OR moved enough for the "tilt sensor" to activate.

Banned

Thanks. I was referring to the effective PS mode, which isn't working when it's light and/or the watch has been moved. I was under the impression that the PS mode was effectively off under those conditions...

This has happened to my new GW-M5610 / 3159 module recently. Power Saving (PS) stopped working after the auto receive failed one night at 2am because I moved the watch, without pressing any buttons. PS remained non-functional for a couple of days until I turned PS off (in set time/date manually mode), then turned PS on again, and now PS works again. I presume this is a known quirk about the module that isn't described in the manual, a.k.a. a bug? If not I will try a hard reset by taking the back off and seeing if I can replicate the fault. I would assume that if it was something requiring a reset, it wouldn't have been possible to correct it by merely going through a menu.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information