GWM850-1 / GW2310... better daily beater?!
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: GWM850-1 / GW2310... better daily beater?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GWM850-1 / GW2310... better daily beater?!

Hi all, it's me again!

I made a few previous posts. I had a gift card to JCP, and been looking for an all purpose daily beater watch... round, digital, small enough for a 6 inch wrist, tough enough to wear to the gym, playing with my nephews, hiking, out for a run, etc. G-shocks seemed to fit the bill, and after checking out the stock of local department stores the ones that seemed to fit the best were the G9000, GWM850-7, and GW2310. I disgarded the 850-7 after reading more about white Gs here.. just wouldn't make a good daily beater. Initially I left with the Mudman - had a crisp display, seemed the toughest; but after a week of wear I found it uncomfortable due to the textured plastic bumps =(

So I went back to pick up a GW2310, but when I got there I saw a GWM850-1 hidden in the non G Casios behind some WS220s! Haven't seen it at any of the many kohls/jcps I stopped @ over spring break, so I scooped it up!

Name:  post_850_1.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  118.6 KB

So yeah, it's a great watch! Very comfortable, the resin band doesn't leave an imprint lke the Mudman, and the GW2310, did when I tried them on. It's also got large, bolder digits... the screen just looks really, really crisp, esp compared to the other solar/atomics I looked at! The rally timer is great; essentially a second independant 24 hour timer, + a 100 hour stopwatch... with progress beeper. Only negatives, imo, are the inability to turn rally timer's flash alert off... probably sucks up a ton of juice! Also, wish there was more resin over that metal bezel. I'm sure when the watch takes the hits the steel bezel will be the first thing to get scratched and dinged.. and it's not cheap either!

In the end, I'm mostly satisfied - but a part of me still wants to go back and grab that GW2310 instead. I still feel it might make a better "every day" beater over the 850. It also seems to be the tougher of the two, plus if/when it gets banged up it'll mostly be the cheap replaceable resin that takes the dings and scratches, not the metal! Plus it's got that "chunk" to give it some wrist prescience, and STILL fit under sleeves!

The easy choice would be to just get both! I think in the end, that's what it just may be.. I want both lol. But for a poor college student just one will have to do!

Which of the two would you guys recommend as the better all around/daily beater for a college student?!?!

Re: GWM850-1 / GW2310... better daily beater?!

I own both and like both. I slightly prefer the looks of the GW-M850, but I think the GW-2310 is a better daily beater for the reasons you mentioned.

The black GW-M850 seems to be discontinued now. It's going for ridiculous prices at some places. Today it's listed at $300 on Amazon. I bought mine a year ago for $75.
    frhoads likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Guzzoline View Post
    So I went back to pick up a GW2310, but when I got there I saw a GWM850-1 hidden in the non G Casios behind some WS220s! Haven't seen it at any of the many kohls/jcps I stopped @ over spring break, so I scooped it up!
    That's one lucky find, keep it for good, man! The black GWM850 is rare to find these days ONLINE, not to mention physically in a store! Kind of regret not to pick one up when it was like under $70 at one point last year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Op learned his watch is rare, puts it back in the box and on a shelf, and went back to the store to buy the gw2310 as a daily beater.

this is how pandora's box got opened
    Rocat likes this.

I have the GW800, which is a predecessor to the GWM850, and also the GW2310. I like them both, however the band and general fit of the GW800 is slightly better IMO.
    Just another Casio fan.

M850 is a terrific G-Shock with an excellent, almost unique movement (shares it with one other model, GW-9010, I think)

Enjoy it to the max!

GW-9010

GW-2310

G-2310R

Both

GW-2310FB

G-2300EB

G-3011

Last edited by yankeexpress; March 21st, 2016 at 04:18.
    Izzy_Does_It likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryK30 View Post
    The black GW-M850 seems to be discontinued now. It's going for ridiculous prices at some places. Today it's listed at $300 on Amazon. I bought mine a year ago for $75.
    Quote Originally Posted by Watch_Geekmaster View Post
    That's one lucky find, keep it for good, man! The black GWM850 is rare to find these days ONLINE, not to mention physically in a store! Kind of regret not to pick one up when it was like under $70 at one point last year.
    Yeah, I know it was a rare find, especially in store, so I grabbed it ASAP... didn't even bother to compare it with the GW2310 'til AFTER purchase =P But yeah, I've had it on all week - it's light, and really comfortable on the wrist - I forget I even have it on. Great low profile, haven't banged it into anything. I'm glad I didn't take it back for the GW2310 =P

Took 4 days to go from M->H, then gave it another couple full days of sun just to try and top it off! Syncs every night!
    Name:  IMG_20160319_200347.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  117.9 KB

Read up on batch numbers, looks like this one was made mid 2013.
    Name:  IMG_20160319_200224.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  112.6 KB

The white 850 and GW2310 I looked at were both from 2015! When was the black one discontinued?
    Last edited by Guzzoline; March 25th, 2016 at 09:42.
    Izzy_Does_It likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kcohS-G View Post
    Op learned his watch is rare, puts it back in the box and on a shelf, and went back to the store to buy the gw2310 as a daily beater.

this is how pandora's box got opened
    HAHA! Nah, I won't be baby'ing it! BUUUUUT, I do have $30 in Amazon credit. I was saving it for a game or some DVDs, but I think a cheap watch for more abusive tasks wouldn't hurt =P Something to toss on when going on a rough hike, or doing yard work/working on my car.

DW5600e seems like a solid choice. It's basic, but tough! Also saw a Timex Ironman Shock (T5K196) for the same price as the 5600. Not sure how tough it is though... the display is pretty nice though, better contrast and larger digits! I'm sure either of those will suffice, leaning more towards the DW5600 just to have another G in the collection, lol!
    Phantasm likes this.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but could someone explain to me how the GW-M850 and the GW-9010 can have the same module (functionally) yet have such different layouts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by broonzbane View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but could someone explain to me how the GW-M850 and the GW-9010 can have the same module (functionally) yet have such different layouts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The GW-M850 uses module 3155. The GW-9010 uses module 3150. So, they don't have the same module, but these two modules have the same functionality (rally timer, "G" received indicator, date-specific alarms, etc).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information